PDA

View Full Version : Propshaft

futureproof
16-12-04, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I am building a Chevy Dax with a TH350 gearbox to the jag rear diff. What I need to know is, can I use a SOLID prop or does it need to include
some shock absorbsion in it ? The jag prop will loose its rubber bonding when it is shortened. Does the TH350 box have any internal
shock absorbsion. I am worried that when it changes gear or drive is selected it will slam in. Has anyone put a shock absorber in line (as I
suspect the answer is "it would be a good idea") if so what do you use. I know Mercedes use an inline "donut" type but I bet the bolts holes will
not line up.

Any ideas people ?

ian
16-12-04, 10:54 AM
I think you'll find that most people use a solid propshaft. Mine is an ex Jag XJ12 propshaft, suitably shortened, although it does still have the 'telescopic' section in it. This is mated to a Getrag slip yoke in my case. I have no problems with crashy gearchanges or anything like that. Ian.

Miket
16-12-04, 11:06 AM
Ian's correct, solid prop with slip joint to suit gear box connection, my Getrag box finishes with a yoke, so I have a slip joint in the middle of the prop. :thumb: :thumb:

route66
16-12-04, 11:24 AM
Our Dax has a TH 350 gearbox mated to the Jag diff.

The propshaft is 'solid', being a hybrid Jag yoke / flange at the rear and a GM TH 350 yoke / UJ and internal splined tube at the front. Although the splined joint allows a bit of fore and aft movement, there is no torsional absorption.

The TH 350 has a B&M shift kit fitted and the shifts and kickdown are quite hard but the driveline seems to take the load okay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the XJS V12 / TH 400 cars had a single piece propshaft with no allowance for torsional shock.

Steve

big_guy_unlimited
16-12-04, 01:15 PM
hi,

i had a prop shaft made for my dax (Rover to Jag rear axle) they were pretty helpful and reasonably priced about 135 new. Company's called Bailey Morris Ltd in St Neots near Bedford 01480 216250.

They may be able to help!

TonyD
16-12-04, 03:30 PM
Dont put a rubber "donut" in the driveline, I tried to do this and the rubber simply flexed and the propshaft morphed into a skipping rope !!

Cheers,

Tony

BILKO
16-12-04, 06:22 PM
I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME SET UP AS ROUTE 66, INCLUDING THE B & M SHIFT KIT ALL WORKS SWEET AS A NUT.

BILKO:thumb:

futureproof
17-12-04, 08:45 AM
Cheers guys for the quick responses, I will leave out the rubber bits then and go for solid. I always liked rubber but that is a different forum I think.