PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my mp3 player to work with WMP

MacGD016
30-12-04, 08:45 PM
I think I must have bought a duff mp3 player for my lad :-( but before I take it back to the shop I thought Iíd pass the problem past you knowledgeable people in the hope that it might save me a journey and/or a red face. I have been trying to copy wma tracks to this USB connected mp3 player using Windows Media Player. The function works fine when I use my memory stick but locks up the mp3 player and the PC when I try the same thing. Strangely I can copy file to the mp3 player using Windows Explorer etc and I can read these and play them with WMP. I canít see why reading should be ok but writing fails. Any thoughts?

Grease Monkey
30-12-04, 10:44 PM
Mac,

Might be a driver thing, or just microsoft behaving as it normally does.

Are you saying you can copy WMA (Windows Media Audio) files to the MP3 player using explorer when the USB device is mapped as a drive, but not through WMP ?

If thats the problem, simple solution, copy them through explorer... :thumb: :thumb:

Oh, and got to ask, have you tried restarting windows? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MacGD016
30-12-04, 11:09 PM
Adrian

Yup tried restarting it, kicking it, shouting at it etc but its still the same. And I know that I could just transfer files but I like things to work correctly, which causes me no end of problems!! Even stranger is the fact that the lockup happens when WMP has seen the 'device' as a 'removable device', very odd.

Mac

Andy302
31-12-04, 09:40 AM
One thing it could be, what flavour of USB do you have? I would imagine the MP3 player is high speed (USB 2.0), my wifes PC has the older slow USB and that causes her MP3 player to throw up the od error or two.

I also have USB 1.0 & USB 2.0 ports on my PC (dont ask its a mish mash of parts!) if I plug a USB 2.0 device into the USB 1.0 port the whole PC hangs and has to be restarted. If that USB 2 device is in the USB 1 port at boot up the PC wont boot.:(

Also did the MP3 player not come with any software for file transfer? And what version of WMP do you have? I know my wifes Napster player had to have version 10.

If you do take it back best of luck, I normally find most shops try to blame your equipment at home!!:mad: :mad:
Cheers

MacGD016
31-12-04, 06:10 PM
Looks like it is a Microsoft driver problem again!!! Tried the mp3 player in my friends PC running XP and WMP10 and it recognised it as a mp3 player! Put it back in mine, ME and WMP9 latest release, and it sees it as a Bulk Storage Device and crashes.

I had a look at the drivers and the Bulk Storage Device driver has a ? on it, I guess this means that it almost works or works some of the time which is about right. Not much I can do as this is the latest driver and I cant find a substitute anywhere on the web. The mp3 player did come with a driver but it wont load as there is already a Microsoft one loaded, typical of MS their own applications dont work with their own drivers!!

kevchard
31-12-04, 06:14 PM
hi
go to www.windowsupdate.com and click on suggested updates. You should see an option for media player 10.
I would suggest installing the cd that came with mp3 player before connecting the device. Sometimes if you install the device first then the cd things can go pear shaped, if you need any further help you can always phone me.

MacGD016
31-12-04, 07:11 PM
hi
go to www.windowsupdate.com (http://www.windowsupdate.com/) and click on suggested updates. You should see an option for media player 10.
I would suggest installing the cd that came with mp3 player before connecting the device. Sometimes if you install the device first then the cd things can go pear shaped, if you need any further help you can always phone me.
Hi Kev, Thanks for the offer of help I might just take you up on it. WMP10 is for XP only and I'm still using ME so thats a no go. I might remove the current driver though and then install the one on the CD

kevchard
31-12-04, 09:06 PM
If you can drag / drop files to and fro the device, then you may be using it as a storage device as apposed to an mp3 player. As mentioned earlier, is there no software on the 'start menu' that came with the player? I know that my rio mp3 player needs mp3s created by the software that came with the player (if you drag and drop files onto the device it does not work).
I suggest you uninstall everything that the device cd installed, reboot, install software, reboot, then plug in device after pc has rebooted.
The offer of the phone call (up till 10pm) was a genuine one.
What make / model mp3 have you bought?
Cheers and best of luck

kevchard
31-12-04, 09:11 PM
Also go into device manager and update the driver for the mass storage device. There should be a drivers directory on the cd and look for 'en' (english) and 'me/win 9x'.
I am off to start being sociable at home now (first time for everything i spose).