PDA

View Full Version : Longest cobra build

markieboy
15-01-05, 05:52 PM
Just wondered who has taken the longest to build their cobra.
I found mine today in the garage, wondered where it went. The cobra building fairy is still missing. Havent touched it for a year due to renovation of the house. This years the year. Any body want to place a bet as to which decade I will finish it in???

Chimeara
15-01-05, 06:12 PM
When did you start the build, ive been going for 11 months solid of just weekends and if I can solve my current suspension problem and decide on a paint colour it should be going to the paintshop in a few weeks

Anthony

ldtopham
15-01-05, 06:34 PM
I'm on my 4th year! One house move, one renovation (almost), moved wifes buisness premisies twice (both renovated by yours truly), lots of working abroad with my job blah blah........... must get it finished this year! Just waitimg for the new GD body shell (No2 on the list). Should be firing it up for the first time this week, see how unfriendly my side pipes are! Hopefully someone will have taken longer?

markieboy
15-01-05, 06:54 PM
2 years to date. Rolling chasis at the moment with body sat on top. I need to rebuild the motor so thats at least another year!!

Your winning so far Idtopham well done!!!

Whats up with your suspension Chimeara?? Mine squeaks a bit need to relube the bushes I think. The paintshop is a distant dream at the moment, lucky bugger you will be on the road this yaer by the look of it!

clive a brown
15-01-05, 07:02 PM
Hi, I cant see how anybody can put one together in under 7 years of Saturdays.

But the good news is that the build is the best bit!!! If you just want a Cobra - buy one, it's far cheaper than building the dam thing!

Clive

Chimeara
15-01-05, 07:02 PM
The plan is to be on the road for my 21st birthday in july however I cant seem to get my front end low enough, I eitherbhave the wrong shocks or chassis is wrong, its jag based and not many people seem to have answers for jag based sumo problems. Whatever I do it sits on the bump stops with 4 inches between tyre and wheel arch doh.

Good luck with your build, what motor are you going for, you could build a V8 from scratch in a weekend with all the parts, stop putting it off and join the lads this summer for some fun. Its a way of life.

Anthony

ldtopham
15-01-05, 07:47 PM
I'm in no race and hope that the quality of the build will be a reflection of the time it will will have taken me! I have been patient not to rush it so far and as long as I'm not near or in a finished one continue to plod on. On getting home from the last Elvington weekender I was fastening bits on with blue tack, no nails, bodge tape.......... finally came around to my senses and realised must take my time!
Oh and I have still to reach 30 and the reduction on insurance is a biggie to a tight Yorkshire git (went to the Vince Gledhill school of budgeting!). I have done all the build myself including the engine so next weeks start up should be the first big mile stone...... could also be the first major embarresment!

warney
15-01-05, 07:59 PM
I've been going for 5 years so far,hoping this is the last.

kevchard
16-01-05, 10:32 AM
This is my second year, we hope to have it ready for the summer, but I remember saying the same thing last year.
Cheers

bitsa
16-01-05, 01:57 PM
This is my tenth year, doing it the hard way started with a 4th hand unknown body and chassis, at least its just about drivable now so maybe this is the year!

Chimeara
16-01-05, 04:59 PM
Lee how old are you, was just wondering if anyone is challenging me for the youngest cobra owner title. I think I hold it at the moment with a mere age of 20, started my buyild at 19, insurance isnt that bigger problem suprisingly.

Mine should be finished this year depends on suspension problems at the moment though, could be 3005 before pilgrim sort this one out lol

Anthony

kevchard
16-01-05, 05:17 PM
Hi Bitsa
What sort of Cobra is it that you are making? And what running gear is it on?
Cheers

427sc
16-01-05, 06:31 PM
this is my fourth year....and like most of you have 'made' everything....even the roll hoops!!!....just made leather piping for door panels ....and stitched panel myself!(pic attatched)....and hopefully on road in the next few months...cheers..steve

427sc
16-01-05, 06:34 PM
oooops..forgot pic!!,,,,steve

ldtopham
17-01-05, 10:22 PM
Thought I was a young builder, now made me feel positively older! I started it at 24 and am getting there slowly. I have carried out quite a few changes compared with a standard build. GD with narrowed rear (for deep dish rims), Ford lump (self built .... the original and best lol), side pipes, and eventually the new GD shell with the possibility of deeper wheels on the front too to fill them arches! Firing it up next week, just tested all the engine loom (bespoke again!) tonight and all is well MSD gives out a v healthy spark, gauges moved for the first time...... it's all starting to get exciting!!

osgood
18-01-05, 08:42 AM
There is a guy from the Thames Valley area with a Ram RV8 he has been at it for 23 years in-between moving houses and building garages, this has got to be the record surely? Osgood;)

shadow
18-01-05, 10:07 AM
23 years :confused:. Who's going to break the 3 letter news to him??? SVA......lol

chrissy
18-01-05, 11:40 AM
Hi all, new to this forum but just wanted to ask Chimaera how much your insurance is at age 21, and who you're with?

Cheers

chrissy
18-01-05, 11:41 AM
Sorry not only hav i spelt your name wrong but i got your age wrong too! I mean 20 Chimeara. Thanks

nearly thers
18-01-05, 02:55 PM
It's not how long it takes that matters but more how long you thought it would take! I'm now entering year nine this month and it stills has problems!

Just allow for the intrusion of house moves, DIY and the wife!

I tell her she always wants things to last longer and with this car I'm making sure I don't disapoint her!

Enjoy it, half the fun has got to be in the building!

Chimeara
19-01-05, 05:01 PM
1500 fully comp when im 21, thats with 2 years no claims bonus and 6 points. Insurance companyw as Adrian Flux

Anthony

Keith S
19-01-05, 08:44 PM
Built mine in 11 months working most Saturdays and Sundays 8 - 5.
This included rebuilding the RV8.
I must admit it did help working as a rep, this meant I could pop into Pilgrim for bits/ info/ take photos of bits i couldn't work out/ general chat and coffee!
It also meant I could go into motor factors etc: during the week to get other bits.
Also gratefull for an understanding wife who let me off most household chores on the understanding that it was for a limited time.
Oh, and that she can drive it occasionally too!

Andy S
19-01-05, 11:37 PM
Keith How come we havnt seen you at any of the gatherings, Also I'm only 6 miles from you as well, how come I havnt seen you about ??

markieboy
20-01-05, 06:39 PM
Well flippin heck best I hide mine back in the garage. 23 years thats scary.

Yongest builder must be me mental age of a 5 year old on orange and blue smarties!!!

Any one near suffolk??

RallySnake
21-01-05, 12:35 AM
Wow, 23 years! Well I started mine with a third had body and frame in 1981. I got it running and registered in '86. But, I am still working on it! Just rebuilding the brakes and differencial. Let's see, that's 19 years with some periods of actual driving time in between. :D

Paul

osgood
21-01-05, 08:38 AM
Well flippin heck best I hide mine back in the garage. 23 years thats scary.

Yongest builder must be me mental age of a 5 year old on orange and blue smarties!!!

Any one near suffolk?? No Markie this guy is in the Thames Valley Area:( Osgood!

osgood
21-01-05, 08:42 AM
Wow, 23 years! Well I started mine with a third had body and frame in 1981. I got it running and registered in '86. But, I am still working on it! Just rebuilding the brakes and differencial. Let's see, that's 19 years with some periods of actual driving time in between. :D

PaulYes Paul 23 years maybe a tad longer but never seen an SVA station! Cant ever see it getting finished either but yer never know:) Osgood:angel:

RallySnake
21-01-05, 06:32 PM
Osgood,

So you could say it's more of an art sculpture than a car project? :D

Paul

Andy302
21-01-05, 07:01 PM
At least Ive started out knowing its gonna take at least 9 years to put it together, if I win lottery however that might change but Id have to start playing to do that!!

I guess I started last year so that means Ive only got 8 left!!:thumb:

Cheers

osgood
21-01-05, 07:44 PM
Yes well guy's its obviously a project and for whatever reason very long but it does allow you to go to show's and enjoy and say I am a Cobra owner doing a build! Who knows it could be 40 years at the end of the day but my guess is without naming names it will never get finished Osgood:angel: