PDA

View Full Version : Expected Cobra performance

TheUnixKid
20-01-05, 12:25 AM
Hi,
I know this is probably academic but I thought I'd ask anyway. I was wondering what the expected performance (0-60, 0-100 etc) would be from my Rover 3.5 litre V8 (with an estimated 210 bhp with the modifications I've made to it) fitted to a Pilgrim Sumo Mark III. I'm using the 5 speed short shift gearbox from a TVR griffin and 15inch halibrand replica wheels.

Could anyone with a similar set up let me know their performance? Any educated guesses would be good.

Thanks

John

Rat Boy
20-01-05, 01:55 AM
So many variables: torque, gearing tyre size, finished weight of car, etc.
As a ball park figure I'd say 0-60 in about 6 seconds / 0-100 in about 15 seconds.
Thats knocking on the door of a lot of so called 'supercars'.

maxGD059
20-01-05, 06:51 AM
Don't expect a great top speed though as the cobra has the aerodynamics of a brick. For top speed (on a track) you'll need LOADS more power :D

Miket
20-01-05, 09:47 AM
John

Before I built the AK/Chevy, I had a Sumo with a standard Rover 3.5 with a Webber/Edelbrock Card and manifold, it was dyno'd at 180 bhp, my mate has a 400bhp Chevy in an AK and he could not leave my Sumo on acceleration up to 90 mph, after that he was gone into the distance. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Big Bloke
20-01-05, 10:00 AM
I have a rover 3.9 V8 and i have stage 1 heads, mallory unalite dizzy, MSD ignition, Magnecor spark plug leads, piper 270/2 cam, lightened flywheel, duplex timing chain basically all the best components that i could put on the engine and i get 240BHP and reasonable fuel economy. I would have thought that you would be right on the limit at 210bhp of what you could expect to get from the 3.5.
I hope this helps.

Rat Boy
20-01-05, 02:09 PM
Unix Kid
I would not be too worried by acceleration figures. A lot of these 0-60 times are just pub talk anyway. The Rover will give you the right sound track, be lighter than the SBC/SBF engines (therefore handle better and with 200bhp or so, better on fuel (so you can afford to use it more and should be pretty darn quick.
You'll find that a lot of cars with quicker 0-60 times will struggle to lose you on the road because you can get all of your power down and they can't.
I would imagine a top speed of over 120mph (more than enough for road use).
Sounds like you're up for some big fun shortly!!

TheUnixKid
20-01-05, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot for all of your comments! They've been really useful. I can't wait to get it done. My dad and I have spent quite a long time rebuilding the engine with all new parts, it's finally together and ready to be bench tested.

We're hoping to have it finished by this summer, but it's taken us since last year to sort out the rolling chassis!

MARTIN123
20-01-05, 08:26 PM
i have a 3.5 rv8- and lightened flywheel high pressure pump (oil) multi vane water pump, and over size valves, edelbrock 1404 , luminition,igniton, now that is nothing compared to sum of these guys, but by shit it goes , very quick up to 100, and rides better, now i have owned in the passed: porsche carrera 3.3 and a porsche 928 and a jensen interceptor 440 bhp (hemi) xjs 5.3,, but the aceleration on my cob is cool, its like being on easy-jet etc, not to bad in the wet mine weighs 750 kgs on the rear , and 450kg on the front, you will not be disapointed mate !

TheUnixKid
20-01-05, 08:51 PM
Excellent, I can't wait to get it finished. I may just bomb around on the rolling chassis yet!

RallySnake
20-01-05, 11:03 PM
John,

I have a computer program I use to test components before I change my car. It gives all the acceleration specs and top speed and gas mileage. I will need to know the transmission gear ratios, the rear end ratio and the rear tire size to give you some pretty accurate numbers.

Paul

Big Bloke
21-01-05, 07:50 AM
Rally Snake,
Any chance of getting a copy of this extremely usefull program that you talk about? I think that there would be several people interested if you could make it available.
Thanks

RallySnake
21-01-05, 05:25 PM
Big Bloke,

It's a one meg DOS program that runs on any computer. I'll try to email it to you. If is doesn't get there pretty quick, let me know and we will try something else.

Paul

TheUnixKid
23-01-05, 10:59 AM
Paul

could you possibly send the program to me too? It would come in very handy.

Thanks,

John

RallySnake
24-01-05, 05:36 PM
John,

I would be happy to send you the program via email. It's only one megabyte and I think it will work that way. If you will write to me at "Paul.McGaffey@CitiGroup.com" I will reply with the attachment. If this works, I will invite the rest of you to have it also.

Big Bloke,

I never got an email from you?

Paul

TheUnixKid
24-01-05, 05:49 PM
Paul, I've emailed you! Thanks!