PDA

View Full Version : Tempted

Sutol
04-02-05, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I am living in Ireland & am interested in the following car which is for sale. Here is the advert -
Cobra (Almac)
1973, RHD, Green with black interior. 7 litre Ford "Big Block" 429 ccu V8 with a 4 speed Ford Top Loader gearbox. Holly Carb, Edelbrock inlet ports, Stainless Steel sidepipes, Mallory ignition and headers. Not just any old Replica but hand built with great craftmanship by the Almac Company in New Zealand, and fitted with the most expensive and powerfull options of their range. Currently registered in the Netherlands with 6200 miles (!!!) from new on a '73 chassis with paperwork making it exempt from VRT and Road Tax. Recently new tyres and just serviced with a bill of 1400 euro's. Unique RHD example of this animal of a car. The car is in brand new condition, ready for the Road or Track!
Euro 36,500 (about 25,000 GBP)

Full size image here - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Fiacre/AcCobra_1.jpg

http://home.planet.nl/~kante333/images/cars/600pxwide/Cobra/AcCobra_150.jpg

Any thoughts, comments?

dave
04-02-05, 09:41 PM
Hi Sutol.
And welcome to out happy (Sometimes) band.
The seats backs look a little high, if you are over 5'10" tall you might find that you will be looking over the top of the windscreen.
Because the car has a 4 speed gearbox you could do with finding out if the car has a 2.88:1 diff ratio otherwise your engine will be reving at very high a cruising speeds. These big V8's are quite happy doing 2000 RPM at 70 MPH and still have enough grunt to pull away at this and usually a 5 speed box is best. Here are some examples of engine speeds at 70MPH with varying diff ratios.
2.88:1.....................2590 rpm
3.058:1...................2780 rpm
3.07:1.....................2790 rpm
3.31:1.....................3000 rpm
3.54:1.....................3200 rpm

Other that that you'll have to see how it drives, it aint' cheap so make sure it is good.

Good luck.

Sutol
04-02-05, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info Dave!
What about the fact that its built on a '73 chasis. Great news for insurance & road tax here in Ireland, but is this something that is commonly done?

dave
04-02-05, 10:17 PM
Hi Sutol.
It is unlikely to have been built on a 73 chassis but the running gear may have originated from a 73 car and that is how it has ended up being listed as a 73. Nothing wrong with this but it would be good to know when it was actually built as a cobra. as something that was built 20 years ago will be somewhat dated in regards to suspension geometry etc.

mylesdw
06-02-05, 09:07 PM
Cobra (Almac)
1973, RHD, Green with black interior. 7 litre Ford "Big Block" 429 ccu V8 with a 4 speed Ford Top Loader gearbox. Holly Carb, Edelbrock inlet ports, Stainless Steel sidepipes, Mallory ignition and headers. Not just any old Replica but hand built with great craftmanship by the Almac Company in New Zealand, and fitted with the most expensive and powerfull options of their range. Currently registered in the Netherlands with 6200 miles (!!!) from new on a '73 chassis with paperwork making it exempt from VRT and Road Tax. Recently new tyres and just serviced with a bill of 1400 euro's. Unique RHD example of this animal of a car. The car is in brand new condition, ready for the Road or Track!
Euro 36,500 (about 25,000 GBP)

Don't be too carried away by the sales blurb, the Almac IS just another replica! Not a bad one: probably about in the same league as a Dax. There is nothing wrong with a 429 engine but it is fundamentally a truck engine and certainly not in the same league as a 427. Maybe Ant can make more comments, he's owned one or two...

Sutol
07-02-05, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.. Looks like it is sold now anyway as the owner just let me know he has taken a deposit on it.

pat b
08-02-05, 01:10 AM
Hi Sutol what part ofIreland you in ? ( my folks from Cork ) If you still looking give CD427JAG (Charlie) a ring he is in Dublin and may be able to help, if you cant find his phon number give me a ring... PAT.

Sutol
12-02-05, 03:50 PM
Hi Pat, I am based in Dublin. Thanks for the contact info.
OK, so just got a call that the deal fell through & the car is back on the market. The real attraction of this car is the 1973 paperwork making it a 'classic' - ie low tax & insurance here in Ireland.
It was built in the 80-ies, but through some stroke of luck, possibly through the dating of the engine number, it has received the official stamp on the registration document (=EU) that the car was first registered in 1973.
I think I may take a trip abroad to see it..