PDA

View Full Version : Cobra kit differences

madjohnny
16-02-05, 11:31 PM
Right here we go, this will probably put the cat amonst the pigeons.

Having looked at quite a few cobra replica's and listening to every one bleet on about why their kit is better than everyone else's etc etc, can you guys point out to me the subtle differences between the kits, not so much chassis wise as this is more obvious, but what is slightly different about the bodies?

I'm sure, being in the process of building a Dax, that when I see another one I immediately think "Oh there's a Dax" but if somebody said "why is it" I would really struggle to point out which bits differenciate it from other Cobra replica's.

Can we please not have any fights over this, just some honest answers.

Oh alright then, fightings OK as well! :D :D :D :D

smash
17-02-05, 07:43 AM
Far as I can ever tell.....

Sumo - easy, extremely defined front wheel arch join, minimum dishing on all wheels noticably the back

AK - somewhat 'square' looking front arch hole, certainly not round anyway. Rump doesn't scome down as low as Dax and rear arches not as 'full' behind the rear tyres. Ground clearence looks a bit too high from the back. generally single roll hoop with no bracing. mouth appears a bit more 'drawn out' than Dax. Also they seem to have less dishing to the front wheels than Dax.

Dax - apart from all the bling, blue, cream leather and 20" wheels! :p seem to have a very distinctive line to the rear arch lip that flares out behind the rear tyres (at an angle to the vertical). Generally rear braced roll hoop. Appears to sit lower at back than AK ground clearance wise.

GD - Imagine a cobra that's been run over by a very large garden roller! They look very flat - especially from the back, low flat and wide. Much less wheel dishing than other cobs noticable at rear and akin to Sumo. Generally twin rear braced hoops.

Magnum - If it looks low and downright mean it's probably a magnum. Difficult to describe what it is about them - they just look 'well hard'. Don't generally have halibrand replicas - usually torque masters (or whatever they're called)

Cobretti/viper - another set of very distinctive front wheel arches - this time they're just ma-hoo-sive!

Ram - no external boot hinges and a centre tunnel the width of the M25

Can I offend anyone else?! :thumb:

craggle
17-02-05, 07:45 AM
Hi John

I know what you mean, They can look quite different.

Pilgrim kits tend to stand out because of the sharp angle between the wings and wheel arches wheras most other manufactures have the arches blended in smoothly to the wings.

Ram kits have a huge square transmission tunnel.

GD have a very distinctive love it or hate it body shape. personally thats the main reason I chose a Dax over a GD although they are now developing a more conventional body shape.

The older cobretti or brightwheel Cobras have huge wide wheel arches but you don't tend to see many of them.

This is the main pointers for me, There may be more.

Craig.

craggle
17-02-05, 07:48 AM
Smash beat me to it !!!!

Grease Monkey
17-02-05, 03:27 PM
Is it just me, or is the description for a GD being low flot and wide, the total opposite of what they actually are ?

I though, becuase they were more a 289 shape, the are 'slab sided' narrower, without the huge flared arches you get on more 'bling' builds.

madjohnny
17-02-05, 04:28 PM
Cheers Smash, looks like you thought long and hard over those. One thing confuses me though, havn't got a clue which one of those kits, if any, you have yourself!

I think you insulted the Dax the least, so is it a Dax? :confused: :confused:

Miket
17-02-05, 04:36 PM
Far as I can ever tell.....

AK - somewhat 'square' looking front arch hole, certainly not round anyway. Rump doesn't scome down as low as Dax and rear arches not as 'full' behind the rear tyres. Ground clearence looks a bit too high from the back. generally single roll hoop with no bracing. mouth appears a bit more 'drawn out' than Dax. Also they seem to have less dishing to the front wheels than Dax.
What a load of doggies do do's. :D :D

Apart from the bonnet scoop, could an untrained eye tell the difference :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tony
17-02-05, 04:44 PM
Cheers Smash, looks like you thought long and hard over those. One thing confuses me though, havn't got a clue which one of those kits, if any, you have yourself!

I think you insulted the Dax the least, so is it a Dax? :confused: :confused:Don`t know what he drives but sounds like he wants a Magnum;) ;)
`cause it`s obviously an `ard bastard:whatever:

Tony.

smash
17-02-05, 05:05 PM
'Ere we go - handbags at dawn!

What a load of doggies do do's. :D :D

Apart from the bonnet scoop, could an untrained eye tell the difference :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not from that angle, no! Three quarters on and you'll spot some differences...

Funnily enough I've got an AK (the red metallic one seen in the background of the '96 Which Kit test) - them's my honest thoughts about the car!

Magnum? everyone I've seen looks 'ard to me! Then again one of my fav cobs is Gumball's Dax........go figure!

tony
17-02-05, 05:38 PM
GD - Imagine a cobra that's been run over by a very large garden roller!
Can I offend anyone else?! :thumb:[/quote:ca5ccf9fed]

Priceless:-} . Just wish I could see the expression on a few GD owners faces as they read this one.

Just hope they can see the funny side:) :) .

STEVE G
17-02-05, 06:29 PM
Smash
Dont look below,guess what make is this is?Dont make any cracks about the roof,it had been p*****g with rain.

smash
17-02-05, 07:09 PM
Now that's sneeky! Those rear offsets aren't the norm to be fair ;)
To be honest I wasn't sure at that angle. Maybe in real life I'd have got it from the rear :p (no seriously :rolleyes: ).

Look how flat the back is here, and how the height of the first 2/3rds of the body section appears thinner than other reps.......the whole car looks kinda slinky - oh bollox it's probably just me - where's Pat to distract everyone when you need him?!
http://www.gdcars.com/images/gallery/gd427/bam2.jpg

london
17-02-05, 07:41 PM
Crendon and Hawk are probably the most authentic replicas, but if you want extended wheelarches you could try this:

http://www.cobrakit.com/Customers/Darrell%20CA/Darrell03.htm

CW
17-02-05, 08:27 PM
I see the usual constructive c##p has surfaced yet again
All are different, horses for courses and all that ,some are moulded off originals, Some are copies of other more established replicas!
Personally I like the look of the DAX, I don't know what AC model its from but it works, quite bling but it grabs the attention, shame they didn't carry on with the supertube but at least they've moved on on the suspension front. Magnum looks purposeful as stated plus 3 dimensional chassis & bespoke suspension, don't now how good however, not a great deal of bling, Ram at least its got a race proven 3 dimensional chassis, shame about the donor suspension, but i believe this is changing. GD, less bling than some but a quality product, stick some dished wheels & some side pipes on & some of you "experts" would find it pretty agreeable, plus the new shape is more authentic than most could shake a stick at, race proven chassis, & bespoke suspension an option, widely reputed to give best ride & handling. AK, lots of satisfied owners who seem to make up alot of the "impartial" majority on this site, again don't know its true origins but seems a bit like a cheap alternative to a DAX, chassis is nothing exeptional but it doesn't profess to anything else, no race heritage, can be made bling, still using donor suspension, seems very popular currently, Ideal for shows. Crendon, the way to go for the more authentic chassis, engine, interior etc, if thats your cup of tea then thats your choice. Pilgrim, ideal starter package for people on a tighter budget & the stepping stone many here have used to get to the next level, the car is what you make it, a bit more chassis work and it could be a good mid range contender. Hawk, make your own judgements, alot of money for something that isn't original.
As usual people need to make their opinions on their own & decide what they want to do with the car use it or polish it.
just my ho.

Purple AK
17-02-05, 08:37 PM
Bad Day???

Miket
17-02-05, 08:38 PM
CW

No mention in all your 13 posts as to which Cobra you own/built. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

BIGUNDIES
17-02-05, 08:49 PM
I don't know if I'm right, but I would say that the picture with the 2 cobras is an AK on the right, and a Dax on the left. The picture of the single cobra with the beutifull roof is a GD. If I'm completely wrong then please take the mick, as I'm thick skinned and like a bit of banter.

Cheers
Lee

BIGUNDIES
17-02-05, 08:51 PM
Opps I ment an AK on the left and a Dax on the right. I sometimes get my left from my right mixed up.

Miket
17-02-05, 08:53 PM
Opps I ment an AK on the left and a Dax on the right. I sometimes get my left from my right mixed up. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D

Purple AK
17-02-05, 08:53 PM
2 out of 3 right :thumb: The sparkly one is a GE427 according to the signature ;) MOST of us are up for a bit or Banter :thumb:

Miket
17-02-05, 08:56 PM
2 out of 3 right :thumb: The sparkly one is a GE427 according to the signature ;) MOST of us are up for a bit or Banter :thumb: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH, you might upset somebody with your constructive c**p. :mad: :mad: :thumb: :thumb:

smash
17-02-05, 08:58 PM
CW - You've sooooo missed the point of this thread.
Mad Johnnys original q was simply about identifying different marques from their appearance, nothing to do with the old 'which one's best' chestnut, build quality or any of that other constructive c##p!! :p ;)

I apologise for any offence caused by my sarcy GD comments - I'm guessing you're a GD owner?

Purple AK
17-02-05, 08:58 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH, you might upset somebody with your constructive c**p. :mad: :mad: :thumb: :thumb:Whoops :( Sorry :o

Chimeara
17-02-05, 09:02 PM
Guys without sounding like Jerry Springer at the end of the day all the replicas are different and unique even cars from the same company are individually built and secified to the customers requirements. Therefore its fair to say that all of the cars have there own pro's and con's. If there was only one company selling the perfect cobra then wouldnt things get boring just think if all of them were perfect what would we find to talk about. As long as each of us cobra owners are happy with our own snakes and build achievements then does it matter what all the other ones look like.

It all comes down to cost and personal opinions of the asthetics of the car.

So until next time take care of yourselves and each other

Jerry

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:02 PM
In answer to Johnnys original question. The easy way to tell the difference between the marques is. Look at the tax disc :thumb:

osgood
17-02-05, 09:03 PM
CW

No mention in all your 13 posts as to which Cobra you own/built. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:Probably Lego Mike:) Osgood:angel:

dave
17-02-05, 09:03 PM
CW

No mention in all your 13 posts as to which Cobra you own/built. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why? does it really matter???? Whether CW has a kit or not, his post is about as spot on as you'll get.:finger: :whatever: (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=4#) (Just learned how to use the extra smilies:D )

Greasy mentioned much earlier about the width of the GD. The GD is no narrower that a 427 all this 289 talk is all smoke and mirrors. I was at Gd when they were repairing a southern Roadcraft (427 Cobra kit) and myself and Andy Burrows measured across the rear wings and the GD was 1/4" wider!!!!!!.
Trust me, the subtelty of the GD is not down to body shape alone it's also down to wheel off sets and the absence of of side pipes.................................If i only had 30K or so and the spare time I'd bloody build one and modify everything so that you'd see what it looked like with the more regular looking parts on. (Where's the smilie for Frustrated?)

BIGUNDIES
17-02-05, 09:07 PM
Crikey (God I sound like Steve Irwin) I never noticed that at the bottom of his post. I would make a great detective, not?
I have to say that I didn't notice much of a difference in any of the makes untill I saw them all at the same time at the Donnington Kit Car Show. I opted for the Dax due to the fact it looked a little more aggressive than the AK. I was going to build a GD untill Donnington, but after seeing the car next to the AK and Dax, I went off it completely.

Lee

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:07 PM
Rob removed it Cos Tinka abused it :-(

Miket
17-02-05, 09:08 PM
Why? does it really matter???? Whether CW has a kit or not, his post is about as spot on as you'll get.:finger: :whatever: (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=4#) (Just learned how to use the extra smilies:D ) Carry on learning how to play with smilies and stop sticking your nose in my posts :finger: :finger: :finger:

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:14 PM
Carry on learning how to play with smilies and stop sticking your nose in my posts :finger: :finger: :finger:Mid life crisis Mike ;) He'll be ok once he get's passed 50 (Like Us) :thumb:

smash
17-02-05, 09:17 PM
Oo! - there you go, that's another one. If the drivers got grey hair it's an AK! :D

rich
17-02-05, 09:21 PM
you saying i'm old?

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:21 PM
Oo! - there you go, that's another one. If the drivers got grey hair it's an AK! :D:o :o :D Mine ain't never gonna be brown again :( Well not without some help :angel: :D

smash
17-02-05, 09:24 PM
you saying i'm old?

Er....your surname could be Gere for all I know!

Andy S
17-02-05, 09:25 PM
So billy no mates aka DaveN is totally screwed then and he's got a southern Roadcraft, shit so have I , quick pass me that bottle of Grecian 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich
17-02-05, 09:28 PM
:p pass me a hamster :p

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:30 PM
http://www.thehamsters.co.uk/

Miket
17-02-05, 09:31 PM
So billy no mates aka DaveN is totally screwed then and he's got a southern Roadcraft, shit so have I , quick pass me that bottle of Grecian 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your lucky you have got something to use Grecian 2000 on, suppose I could try on my ******* :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

P.S where did this thread start :D :D

dave.n
17-02-05, 09:32 PM
What's a midlife crisis ???

If you lived my life every day day is a crisis.

AndyS I agree SRV8 is ok especially if you got one.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

smash
17-02-05, 09:32 PM
Right - so if the owner's not in the car, check the glove box for a bottle of 'Just for Men' failing that look for tell tale rodent bites on the gear gaitor :thumb:

rich
17-02-05, 09:35 PM
http://www.realhamster.com/intro.html

LRdriver
17-02-05, 09:39 PM
The thing is that the more you get stuck into Cobras the more you see the subtle differences.
Basically to the untrained eye, all these cars turn heads amongst petrolheads.

So there..

smash
17-02-05, 09:41 PM
Is that fence comfy? :p :angel:

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:46 PM
The thing is that the more you get stuck into Cobras the more you see the subtle differences.
Basically to the untrained eye, all these cars turn heads amongst petrolheads.

So there..These cars turn heads full stop. I drive up my road past the primary school, and all the kids are hanging over the wall for a look. They don't know what a cobra is ;)

LRdriver
17-02-05, 09:49 PM
Yep..
:)

I think the qustion was answered nicely with the visual differnces. I am very pro replica and not entirely happy with some directions some manufacturers are letting the 427 "evolve". It depends what you want really..

I can jump off the fence but will piss some people off, so I aint.. ;)

Miket
17-02-05, 09:50 PM
These cars turn heads full stop. I drive up my road past the primary school, and all the kids are hanging over the wall for a look. They don't know what a cobra is ;) They are probably looking at you and saying "look at that old bloke driving a nice sports car" :finger: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

rich
17-02-05, 09:54 PM
Just an impartial thought, the AK has a lower angled mid section to the dash.

LRdriver
17-02-05, 09:56 PM
Can we have a poll asking how many have Magnolia Leather?... (and piping of any colour)

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:56 PM
They are probably looking at you and saying "look at that old bloke driving a nice sports car" :finger: :D :D :thumb: :thumb::D ...........................:angry: :D

Purple AK
17-02-05, 09:58 PM
Can we have a poll asking how many have Magnolia Leather?... (and piping of any colour)Is this an age related question? :confused:

rich
17-02-05, 10:00 PM
have you turned magnolia yet?:D

smash
17-02-05, 10:04 PM
Can we have a poll asking how many have Magnolia Leather?... (and piping of any colour)

:eek: Argh!!...not until I've had a chance to stuff the 68 sq ft of black hide I've got into my cockpit you can't!!

(It was a factory option, right?)

Purple AK
17-02-05, 10:07 PM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11160

dave
17-02-05, 10:10 PM
:eek: Argh!!...not until I've had a chance to stuff the 68 sq ft of black hide I've got into my cockpit you can't!!

(It was a factory option, right?)

Sounds like you are about 40 sq ft short at that... :-( :-( :-( (If you are fitting a cockpit surround and binding the carpets in leather)

smash
17-02-05, 10:20 PM
Oh Christ - that means the interior's gonna look like an explosion in a pint of Guiness!!! :D

gareth08
17-02-05, 10:26 PM
Oh come on guys,
We all know that Sumo's are the best coz you you spend most of the time putting right all the bits that were wrong in the first place so you get an individual car!!!!!!!!!!

Gareth

LRdriver
17-02-05, 10:40 PM
What!! over 100 sqft of leather?!? do you cover the enginebay with that stuff also?
I'd go with black as usually they dont supply gimp masks in magnolia

london
18-02-05, 11:28 AM
I see the usual constructive c##p has surfaced yet again
Hawk, make your own judgements, alot of money for something that isn't original.

But good quality??

robert
18-02-05, 12:44 PM
Wow, I am glad to see that the forum has lost none of its diversity, and believe me, some of you guys are pretty diverse. :D :D

COBRA KEV01
18-02-05, 01:00 PM
These cars turn heads full stop. I drive up my road past the primary school, and all the kids are hanging over the wall for a look. They don't know what a cobra is ;)

Sorry Guys i aint even gonna go there!!!

Chimeara
18-02-05, 03:42 PM
Come on guys less of the old, im not 21 yet and I have ordered my magnolia interia with blue piping, its not an age related thing its just a classic visual/sex appeal for the car. As for primary schools Id prefer colleges, the only thing I can get arrested for then is speeding.

Anthony

smash
18-02-05, 04:26 PM
You'll be needing these then...

http://azteconeshops.com/ebay/pipes/23chw_sm.jpg
http://www.back-in-style.com/image.php?productid=292.jpg
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ba/barker-slippers---aspen.jpg

:D :thumb:

Andy S
18-02-05, 04:33 PM
Does Mike 'grandad' T know that you nicked his favourite evening wear, other than the obvious which we wont go into here !!!

osgood
18-02-05, 04:45 PM
Sorry Guys i aint even gonna go there!!!MMMMmmmmm me neither darling! Who knows what they get up too in Sussex?? Osgood:angel: :rolleyes:

rich
18-02-05, 04:47 PM
This kit is a manual version, back spacing looks a little slim compared to some.
and no magnolia in sight:D

Miket
18-02-05, 05:09 PM
Does Mike 'grandad' T know that you nicked his favourite evening wear, other than the obvious which we wont go into here !!! Oy, :finger: :finger: :finger:

Miket
18-02-05, 05:16 PM
This kit is a manual version, back spacing looks a little slim compared to some.
and no magnolia in sight:D
Rich

Your only jealous cos I've got an original AC :finger: :finger: :thumb:

rich
18-02-05, 05:20 PM
Like the roof colour, is it m...... :D

dingocooke
18-02-05, 05:58 PM
If you go for a RAM, the superwide tunnel keeps the fat birds out...:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

osgood
18-02-05, 06:51 PM
Rich

Your only jealous cos I've got an original AC :finger: :finger: :thumb:Mike would you believe I served part of my sheet metal working apprenticeship with a Lancing and Bagnall subsidiary making Air-Craft parts and out the back in a lean-too they made theses things (Tolworth Surrey) all hand made and rolled and shaped on a wheel all in ally and fitted over a wooden horse, but I suppose none of these young bucks would ever remember that. They were also made and road tested at Aston Martin at Newport Pagnell. "Those were the days" Osgood:angel: :)

Chimeara
18-02-05, 06:56 PM
Is it not a right mongrel looks like a john deer bonnet with a mini moke body and reliant running gear. Potential babe magnet!!!!!

Anthony

osgood
18-02-05, 06:59 PM
Is it not a right mongrel looks like a john deer bonnet with a mini moke body and reliant running gear. Potential babe magnet!!!!!

AnthonyAnthony Invalid carriage my boy! Osgood:)