PDA

View Full Version : Which kit ??

whitty121
04-08-02, 01:32 AM
hey all

well im there at last having in the last 6 weeks built a garage from scratch bought and rebuilt an engine (ford 302) i'am finaly ready to buy my kit, i had decided on the fiero factorys euro 427 but the chassis kit (inc a arms,shock absorber mount,adaptors and brackets) costs 1,599 inc vat plus 700 for the build kit, i have since been looking at the pilgrim as this seems to have a low cost chassis + build pack.

im now unsure of what to go for, i need the smallest initial outlay as i am coming to the end of my work season, overall cost dont matter as i have a bond that matures in may which will pay for everything.

so come on guys help me out, if i dont make a choice soon the girlfriend will be spent all my cash on shoes :'( :'( :'(

mark

Finn
04-08-02, 09:44 AM
Hi Mark,

I was in pretty much the same boat as you, until a financial spanner ended up in the works (see http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/AC_General/1339.html). My original plan was to build a Pilgrim, but after lots of research I found quite a few negative opinions about it.

Like many things, you only get what you pay for. I don't think there is much doubt that the Dax Tojeiro or GD is a "better" Cobra rep than either the Fiero or the Pilgrim, but they do cost a lot more. I had my heart set on a Pilgrim after watching Mark Evans on TV. It fitted my budget (or it did then anyway), and looked fine on TV. If you compare it though to the Dax, then its not quite so hot. I had almost got to the stage of deciding to do the Dax anyway, and to hell with it.

For me, the final choice would come down to what I wanted to do with the car. If it was just a question of tootling round the highways and byways on a sunny day, and showing it off to friends and neighbours who are not experts in Cobra lore, then a Pilgrim (or for that matter a Fiero I guess) would do the job admirably. If however the car was to go to shows and meetings, and be shown off to folks who are in to the Cobra scene, then I would have thought those two kits would not be such a good bet.

I got quite a lot of good advice from these forums, so you might like to check out an earlier post of mine (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/AC_General/1326.html) on a similar topic.

mikey
04-08-02, 10:59 AM
You will also find that a Dax or GD retain their price well. Dont discount the A.K. though. I've heard nothing but praise from the owners regarding build help and running. Apparently Ken who owns A.K has really got his mind on the bussiness.
All the best with your hunting.
Mike.

whitty121
04-08-02, 03:53 PM
i did email ak to ask about the chassis price but they didnt seem to responsive, the main problem here is chassis price can anyone tell me the price of the chassis (inc vat) for the major companies.

mark

simon
04-08-02, 04:10 PM
Mark,

Whatever you do, DON'T make your decision on cost alone.
If you like the pilgrim/fiero chassis and body...fine....buy one, they're both very good pieces of kit and either will do a fine job, but your overall outlay on building a cobra WILL be huge, whatever kit you choose. If you decide to go for a different body/chassis, and it's a bit dearer....then WAIT until you have more money. There's nothing worse that being &10 or 15 thousand pounds into your build and deciding that the base you started from isn't what you really wanted!

Just my 2p worth

Simon

JP
04-08-02, 05:48 PM
Mark

I know AK have an email address, but email isnt their strongest point. Phone them you'll get all the info you need.

JP

Miket
04-08-02, 07:42 PM
Mark

Firstly, I will not put down Pilgrim, I built one and drove it for 2 1/2 years without a single problem, excellent kit for the money and I was perfectly happy with my Rover/Pilgrim until my friend took me out for a run in his 400bhp Chevy powered AK. SH*T! Iv'e got to have one of these was my first thoughts as we where taking bends at speeds that I would have never thought possible in a KIT CAR.

This is the difference with the price of chassis and body kits, you gets what you pay for.

I hate to say this #####,##### but GD allegedly have the best chassis, can't say much for the horrible shape body. DAX, no problems, everything by all reports good. WHY AK?, just first impressions on the superb handling of my friends and secondly the friendly attitude of the lads from AK on my first contact.

As overall cost does'nt matter, just compare the following,

AK Chassis and body fitted including bonnet and doors pre hung + a lot of parts included that other manufactures charge extra for 3871.62 inc VAT and loads off build support (Don't worry about the lack of build manual).

Pilgrim Chassis (Jag) and body not fitted 2849 inc VAT.

Don't forget after you have bought the chassis and body, the rest of the build should be similar which ever Kit you decide on.

Cheers

Mike

robert
04-08-02, 08:02 PM
>I hate to say this #####,##### but GD allegedly have the best chassis,

There is no "alledgedly" about it, it is true. :P :P :P

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

Miket
04-08-02, 08:14 PM
OK if you say it is true I must agree, what about my comments on the body shape, even you must agree that it is a bit obscure in design.

Mike

PS Lets stop it here, before Wilf gets involved.

EVERYBODY TO THERE OWN.

robert
04-08-02, 08:35 PM
Not obscure at all. As discussed in numerous other posts, it is an authentic Cobra shape.

Robert
Forum Admin

Miket
04-08-02, 09:08 PM
Robert

I'm sorry, you can argue all week, GD is no where near authentic, Pilgrim in my opinion (for what its worth) is the most authentic of all the replicas.

Mike

robert
04-08-02, 09:09 PM
Whatever

Robert
Forum Admin

Miket
04-08-02, 09:30 PM
Robert

Meaning of whatever (In indef. concessive clause) though any(thing) ( whatever results follow, whatever happens, whatever friends we may offend, we shall have done our duty).

I must be bored, should get out more.

Cheers

Mike

russell_ram
05-08-02, 12:26 AM
Not heard of RAM then Rob? Think Cheng might have something to say about your view. He normally ends up finishing in front of a #####, ##### GD! (?)

Russ

Might agree if we're talking about current availability. (and BTW they were on my buy list).

russell_ram
05-08-02, 12:29 AM
'Mark Evans on TV'

= Tw*t.

Actually vastly overpaid Tw*t.

Andy302
05-08-02, 08:18 AM
Mark,

Just out of interest I need to do both of the things you have just finished, 1) rebuild my garage and 2) rebuild a Ford 302. My question is, if you dont mind me asking, is how much did it cost to do the garage and how much for the engine and to what spec did you build it.

My input on the which kit bit.....I would say buy a GD. I know thay are a bit more costly but you gets what you pays for these days. Emailed them last week and Andy Burrows responded with all the info I needed next day, by email.

Thanks.

Andy
Ill get one, one day!

Finn
05-08-02, 08:39 AM
>'Mark Evans on TV'
>
>= Tw*t.
>
>Actually vastly overpaid Tw*t.

I say good luck to him. If someone asked me if I wanted to quit my regular job, and get paid for building cars and helicopters instead, I wouldn't need long to think about it. You can't blame him for being over-the-top and over-enthusiastic, he must be as happy as a pig in what pigs like - he must wake up every morning and just start grinning. Same as Trude Mostue really (who went to the same Vet School that I did). Unfortunately, not being blonde and leggy I didn't get offered the job...

robert
05-08-02, 09:02 AM
Russel

We are talking about handling here, the only reason Cheng wins some of the races is that he has far more horsepower than the GD so can outdrag the GD on a straight. When it comes to the corners it is a different matter.

At Silverstone, Cheng put some distance between him and Nick on the straights, however coming out of the complex, Nick was right behind him, having gained some distance through the bendy bits.

The GD racer produces around 500hp and 490lb/ft torque, and Chengs engine produces 616hp, quite some difference.

When they start using success ballast to bring all the cars into line in Class A, then the extra HP won't matter.

Robert
Forum Admin

VinceGledhill
05-08-02, 09:41 AM
Ring Ken at AK. They don't advertise a chassis only price. However I went the route that you are doing. I wanted the chassis first then the body later. This they obliged with.

He will charge you half for the chassis and the other half of the kit price for the body.

AK's number is 01733 267633.

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

VinceGledhill
05-08-02, 09:47 AM
Hi Russel.

I think that Mark has done a great job for the cobra. I for one would not have built mine if it hadn't have been this series. Arthur Nasey wouldn't have built his either.

Now where was that helicopter magazine.

Keeping such a (booring to many folks that aren't into cars) subject entertaining but still actually building the car has been handled very well.

Top show I say.

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

russell_ram
05-08-02, 11:21 AM
Does't mean I have to like him.

Russ

Finn
05-08-02, 01:32 PM
True...just saying that he's got a really good reason to be irritating, that's all.