PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bore measuring implement

BenBaron
01-03-05, 12:01 PM
Hi guys,

anybody got an implement to measure engine bores correctly so I can check if it needs a rebore or what have ya... also could do with knowing to order in pistons ect...
Would obvioulsy be willing to pay for all postage and whatever ya want..

cheers
BEn

MetaJacko
01-03-05, 12:51 PM
Hi Ben,

Wouldn't a vernia work OK for this?

Paul

grandadboats
01-03-05, 01:33 PM
You need an internal micrometer.

Tony

BenBaron
01-03-05, 02:08 PM
okay dokay then,

anybody got ones of thouse then? :)

TINKA
01-03-05, 08:04 PM
Hi Ben, I went to the Engineering place that was going to do the work and let them measure it as long as they are going to get the work they wont mind especially as most shops like to bore and hone with the replacement pistons to make sure they are a perfect fit. You need to know if it needs a bore before you can order them. HTH

warney
01-03-05, 08:31 PM
Hi Ben,
I have a internal bore mic and bore dial clock you can borrow .
All the best Dave.:thumb:

adricar2
01-03-05, 09:06 PM
i have a bore gauge , if you are near me i will measure the cylinders for you.

adrian

BenBaron
02-03-05, 08:09 AM
Cheers for the offers guys,

adrian, no where near Im afraid Im a bit far up north for that but cheers anyway :)

Dave, Id like to take you up on that off please, can you give me a shout on ben@brokerpartners.co.uk and I'll supply my address and what not

cheers
Ben

warney
10-03-05, 07:23 PM
Hi Ben,

I tried emailing you not sure you got it, give me a ring 01305 871577 with your address and I'll the stuff on.

all the best Warney

+

slogger
12-12-09, 11:27 PM
Hi All!I'm brand new to this forum and just had the urge to introduce myself and say "howdy".Finally a reliable forum with active users that I can follow - which truly is refreshing!I'm here to make friends @ get involved in the community. How would I best participate?Bye For Now.

2005 thread and third time of posting the same thing on other threads........................Troll!?:roll:

Vidge
12-12-09, 11:28 PM
Use a piston ring and a set of feeler gauges in the gap. Measure the overall diameter of the piston ring with a vernier calliper first, insert the ring in the bore and insert feeler gauges in the ring gap until you feel drag. Add the totals up and you have your answer.

Do that at several intervals down the bore to ensure its true. Use the depth gauge on the calliper to ensure the ring is square in the bore by measuring the depth at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions before using the feeler gauges.

Time consuming but works well. Also requires no special tools !

Cheers

Andy

slogger
12-12-09, 11:30 PM
Use a piston ring and a set of feeler gauges in the gap. Measure the overall diameter of the piston ring with a vernier calliper first, insert the ring in the bore and insert feeler gauges in the ring gap until you feel drag. Add the totals up and you have your answer.

Do that at several intervals down the bore to ensure its true. Use the depth gauge on the calliper to ensure the ring is square in the bore by measuring the depth at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions before using the feeler gauges.

Time consuming but works well. Also requires no special tools !

Cheers

Andy

Vidge m8. I should think the job has been done. 2005. We appear to have a troll.:roll:

Vidge
12-12-09, 11:30 PM
I'm tired didn't spot the date of the first post :) Pretty sure thats sorted out by now.

Clive
12-12-09, 11:47 PM
I'm tired didn't spot the date of the first post :) Pretty sure thats sorted out by now.

Probably needs another re-bore by now anyway! :roll: