PDA

View Full Version : Complaints

robert
05-08-02, 12:32 PM
Guys

I am getting a number of calls and emails regarding a member of the comittee, however there is absolutely nothing I can do to help as I also get ignored by him. If you have a problem then you really need to take it up with him, not me.

Alternatively write into the mag and air your concerns.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

STEVE T
05-08-02, 05:58 PM
Tell us more I love a bit of gossip!!!!:+

Sime
05-08-02, 06:44 PM
Robert,

Sorry, I'm being lazy by using this post.

Did I read (on another recent post) you are going to convert to Fuel Injection this winter?
If so; why are you converting, which kit will you use, what power increase do you hope to see and what else are you expecting from fuel injection?
Also, will you set it all up on Ken's Dyno again?

I am considering the Edelbrock Multi Point conversion (p/n 3500) for the simple reason you can set it all up whilst driving it as opposed to putting it on the Dyno again (or a Rolling Road).
My small block Chevy 400ci made 503 lbft torque & 413 bhp on the Dyno (without Supercharger/Turbo/Nitrous) and I cannot find a Rolling Road which will 'entertain' it?

Look forward to your comments/ideas.

Simon

robert
05-08-02, 09:14 PM
Simon

The plan for the winter is an ally block, overbore to a 377, not interested in strokers and use a Motec M800 fuel injection system so I should see near enough your figures also without a blower.

You might want to do a bit of research on the Edelbrock MPI, as I have heard some interesting stories about it. Basically it doesn't work too well.

I am not going the injection route for the power increase, I am doing it from the useability angle.

Robert
Forum Admin

Sime
05-08-02, 09:57 PM
Rob,

Why the Motec M800 and what have you heard about the Edelbrock MPI?

Anything you educate me on now might save me a lot of time, money & hassle.

Judging by what I know about your Cobra, I assume you have done extensive research into the Motec and also discussed it with Ken?
What is so special about it over the usual offerings from Edelbrock, Holley, Weber et al?

I know what you mean about the 'driveability' aspect though. Good as old fashioned carb's are; I do think they are a compromise and Fuel Injection is the way forward.

On another note, what engine oil are you using and does your current engine use/burn any oil at all?

Thanks again.

Simon.

robert
06-08-02, 09:24 AM
The Edelbrock is not fully 3d sequential mapping and doesn't have the necessary inputs for multiple lambda sensors. It is also a big big pig to set-up. I know of one owner who battled with the Edelbrock for about 6 months, then binned it for a Motec and has has no problems whatsoever.

The other benefit of a Motec is the ease of mapping changes, then there is the data logging function, traction control, launch control, full engine management control of advance etc.

It is just far superior and if bought form Australian, costs no more than the Edelbrock system.

Robert
Forum Admin

pgoodrum
07-08-02, 07:18 AM
Robert

you have often said that a SBC gives perfect 50/50 weight distribution in the GD, why an alloy block to spoil that? Also are you saying you are not putting the blower back or just that you'll get that power and then more with the blower?

Pete

robert
07-08-02, 09:55 AM
The GD does give near enough 50/50 distribution, however I have stuck a big compressor in the front, along with an big rad and intercooler.

The use of an ally block will negate the added weight of the blower etc to bring the weight distribution back in line.

I will definitely be using a blower, a new one from Procharger that is reverse spun and provides a lot more boost.

Robert
Forum Admin

Happy Jim
07-08-02, 12:24 PM
>I will definitely be using a blower, a new one from Procharger that is
>reverse spun and provides a lot more boost.

??

A while back you said you were going to head for 600 (from 550)....are your sights extending to overtake Cheng on the straights as well }>

robert
07-08-02, 12:49 PM
As the iron block will only cope with 600hp, the obvious upgrade is the ally block, and it can take far more hp, so it would be a crying shame not to use it. :7 :7 :7

Unfortunately, they do not allow forced induction in the SRGTC, otherwise you would see me in a couple of class D races.

Robert
Forum Admin

Steve
07-08-02, 03:37 PM
Rob how much overbore is there to get to 377? - does this mean the liners on the ally block allow for much more of an overbore than a standard block?

robert
07-08-02, 03:44 PM
Steve

I can't remember, will have a look tonight, however it changes the displacement to just under 6 ltrs. :P :P :P

It does produce more low end torque, which is always a good thing.

Robert
Forum Admin

Steve
07-08-02, 04:15 PM
Rob

i'm interested on your views on staying away from strokers, is that to do with revability, or not liking the change in engine characteristics, or do you simply have cash in a crank that you don't want to waste, or simply that you can add power via boost and are not fussed regarding the extra displacement?

I guess im interested in your (or perhaps kenny's view)??as I had a chevy stroked, and the cost implications were negligable for the extra CI & torque achieved, perhaps we can have a chat at the OGP & I'll pick your brains about options to add more power , If I ever get away from my desk for long enough to get there

robert
07-08-02, 04:33 PM
Normally aspirated, yes it is a great way to go, however I have not gone that route for 2 reasons. Firstly, we can make up the additional power, and then some with the boost, and secondly, due to the boost helping the engine breath, there are additional centrifugal forces acting on the longer stroke.

I did ask Ken about stroking to a 383, however his advice for the reasons detailed above was just to overbore to a 377, which is much the same as a number of race engines he has built. It has proven to be a good combination giving hp and endurance.

See you at the Oldtimers

HTH

Robert
Forum Admin

Jesus
08-08-02, 08:55 AM
Hi Rober,

Wich kind or brand of block will you use?

Will you use a destroker 400ci block converted to a 377ci, I hear that some people use a 400ci block with the 350ci crank and they get a highly rev 377 engine.

It sound that you must change your chasis, how much Hp will ou spect to get?

Jesus
Granada Spain,
GD Jag, to be finish next summer, I hope

STEVE T
08-08-02, 05:59 PM
Must be a secret !}>

StuartH
09-08-02, 09:06 AM
Indeed - I tried to work out who it was looking at controversal posts - the only ones I could find were by me and I'm not a committee member!! :-) ;-)
(also I wouldn't ignore the complaints - a missed arguing oportunity!! :-) )

Stuart

STEVE G
09-08-02, 12:26 PM
I wonder if its anything to do with Snake Torque cos Ithink mines gone missing AGAINx( x(
Regards Steve G

STEVE G
09-08-02, 12:28 PM
Sussed one thing, must leave a gap before using smilies :+ :+
Regards Steve G

russell_ram
09-08-02, 02:05 PM
Whats Snake Torque? Think I used to get a magazine called something like that. :(

Russ

STEVE T
09-08-02, 04:27 PM
}> }> }> }>

Philip
10-08-02, 12:07 AM
Does this mean you are selling your supercharger? If so, how much for?

Phil

interestedparty
10-08-02, 02:47 AM
So who says 50/50 weight distribution is perfect?

John