PDA

View Full Version : For sale a kit with a V5 and registration

Keith Wild
09-08-02, 08:21 AM
It seems that the summer (yes I know it hasn't stopped raining) is the season for putting our builds through the SVA and reading the posts here on the site I believe that the harder the SVA gets the more open to abuse it will become

So here goes......I buy another kit from AK, put my car through the SVA again with a new chassis number, register the car again and hey presto I have a kit for sale with a V5 and a registration number.

It's going to get scary!! how many of you nervous chaps with an SVA coming up would have paid a bit extra to avoid the test??

Just a thought

Keith

VinceGledhill
09-08-02, 08:47 AM
This is "ringing" of cars and I'm sure it would carry a Jail sentence when caught.

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

wilf
09-08-02, 10:32 AM
Keith - I agree with Vince (sorry Vince).

The real point is that passing SVA is NOT the big deal you make it out to be. Cars pass all the time. Others fail - because either the builder has not read the manual and understood it and applied his/her understanding to their build, or, because they decide to let an SVA test show them what it WILL fail on to target their remedial work. A viable route for some.
A properly built car, using SVA compliant parts, should have no trouble passing the test. And it will be much safer for doing so.

Anyone who is going to sit in one of these cars and use the performance potential must surely be that bit more confident knowing that it has been properly examined??? No matter what your thoughts on the procedure. I know I am, but that still does not stop me from crawling underneath it monthly to check fastener tightness and do other safety oriented preventive maintenance etc.

Wilf

Keith Wild
09-08-02, 11:03 AM
Hmmmmmm yes your'e both right, so that will prevent it then?

To take it a step further you don't have to even buy a kit just issue your'e own invoice and chassis number.

The DVLA and VI are so disjointed that anything is possible, in youre recent post Vince you talk about the MOT, well come and register your car in Sheffield you don't need an MOT.

A good friend, actually the landlady at my local and you can't get more friendly than that, works for DVLA and she tells me that while they are trying to create a one stop shop, that is SVA, MOT and registration all at the same place, their is so much "jobsworth" that all departments are trying to defend their own posistions.

It's still raining!!

Keith

VinceGledhill
09-08-02, 02:41 PM
Shirly you need an MOT incase the boys in blue pull you up within your first year?

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

VinceGledhill
09-08-02, 02:43 PM
Wilf... Don't do it again. ;-)

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Keith Wild
09-08-02, 05:47 PM
Can only tell you what the man at DVLA told me, they didn't even want the V5 from my donor Jag.....lucky that cos I'd lost it.

Keith

dave
09-08-02, 09:18 PM
The SVA test does not cover :-

Bald/ damaged tyres.
Worn ball joints.
Horn.
And probably some other bits and pieces.

It would be a real shame if you were to take your newly assembled pride and joy out for the first time only to stuff it into a tree at 90 mph because a faulty tyre let go.

Ditto for the ball joints.

And what a crying shame if you are sitting in traffic only to be "T" Boned in the side by some granny backing out of her drive because you couldn't sound your horn because it wasn't working.

P.S.
Even new tyres can fail.......On Tuesday i failed an SVA test because a brand new rear tyre blew out while doing the speedo test..... On the plus side though i did have a spare back at the workshop, so all was not lost, the car was retested and delivered on Wednesday.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I feel we need the SVA as much as we need the MOT, just my opinion.;-)

osgood
10-08-02, 09:06 AM
Kieth a bit risky chap like the other guys have said!!!!! I dont think generally it could be viewed as ringing, as in that case there has to be a stolen vehicle involved which you are endeaouring to change the identity of from doc's and plates & numbers from perhaps a third party salvage write off,(One that has not had a claim on) there are many ways.

Probably be more likely to be fraudulent conversion / deception or some such charge, which has been pointed out by Wilf and Vince carry pretty stiff penalities, hanging from the yard arm and all that stuff!!

It may suprise you to know from one who still holds a MOT testers certificate, it goes on all the time today; a good vehicle (donar)is taken in for test, of the same type and colour as the intended recipient vehicle which wont pass, but with the recipients details on; passes the MoT, then bits changed over again. Much like your suggestions, probably someone is working these scemes as we speak!!!!?

On the other point re MAC certificate if my memory serves me correctly it was perfectly okay to produce this to the old bill if required in the first year. The only thing you could not do with it was to tax the vehicle early for the second year. All the best Eric.:)