PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter March 2005

route66
11-03-05, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

On the morning of February’s meet, my little part of England was unusually white and cold. Yes, it had snowed. Despite the seasonal weather, a number of hearty souls travelled to the Oyster Reach at Wherstead near Ipswich. Guy Beston and Rowland King arrived in their cobras, whilst we enjoyed climate control and heated seats! We ensured that conversation stayed relevant to the cobra world with electronic distributors and importing parts from the USA. We were surprised to see Ian Catchpole who had, literally arrived back from a skiing holiday, dropped his family at home and then hot-footed to the pub to update us all on his Sumo build. Top marks for being keen Ian, talk about service beyond the call of duty. Steve was rather thrilled to find that the pub had Leffe beer on draft (did he have prior knowledge I wonder?) and Cefin Mobbs was equally pleased when he was given a Summit Racing catalogue for a little ‘light reading’. Ann Mobbs was, however, not so delighted. Never mind Ann, you should see the stock of parts catalogues and Screwfix books on Steve’s side of the bed! The talk inevitably moved on to our 2005 season of meets and events with the usual debate about Le Mans and the logistics of cold beer. I could barely stifle a yawn J.

Steve received a phone call a week or two ago from Andy Edmonds of the Waveney Kit Car Group when I was travelling (again!). The group are a collection of kit car builders and enthusiasts who like to get together once in a while for a pint and a chat (sound familiar?) We have been invited to their Waveney Kit Car Group Open Day on Sunday 12th June at the Homersfield Black Swan (north east of Diss). The day is an informal meeting / barbecue / car show from 10:30 onwards at a pleasant village pub – what more could we ask for. I’ll remind you all closer to the day. I’m a little concerned at how early we get to the pub – thank goodness it’s during my non drinking month or I’d be snoozing in the car by 2pm…

There is also a classic car show, almost on my doorstep, the Manningtree Vehicle Show at Manningtree School (south of Ipswich) on Sunday 24th April.

Steve has said that he’s planning to drive down to the Dax Open Day on Good Friday 25th March. Does anyone else fancy coming with us and driving down in convoy?

Many thanks to those of you who have already responded about coming to the two Lowestoft Classic Vehicle Club events. I haven’t yet returned the forms so is there any more cars interested in joining us?

My Dax has been languishing in the garage for most of the winter. Minor jobs have included rewiring the headlamps so that they’re now switched via relays (there’s now more than 12 volts at the lamps) and we’ve introduced a new larger capacity main battery lead. I’ve heard that there are one or two other winter projects happening as well as hearing snippets of news from those of you currently continuing with their builds.

Does anyone have any news or stories they would like to share with us all?

For This month’s meet we’re piloting a new idea which is all credit to Steve and Simon. The ‘meet up / convoy / run to another pub’ concept. I suggest those that want to take part in the run meet at the Tesco Supermarket near to the petrol station to the east of the town centre on the A1075 ‘Kilverstone Hall’. We’ll have a departure time of 11:30 and head east on the A1066 towards Diss. Our ultimate destination will be the Swan at Hoxne on the B1118 to the east of Diss. This means a drive of about 20 miles.

If you want to drive directly to the pub and meet us there, we’ll meet from 12:00 as normal.

The pub has a wide range of beers and pub food, with a large car park next to it. Andy Soar has said he will unveil his newly painted KD/AS289.

Here’s the list of East Anglian meets for 2005.

We’re trialling a new idea – meet up and have a run to the pub – or you can just meet us at the pub instead. Let me know what you reckon to the new format and we can always change it…

April 17th – West Suffolk – meet in Long Melford, run to Clare.
May 15th – West Norfolk – meet in Bressingham, run towards Swaffham.
June 19th – East Suffolk – meet in Ipswich area, run to Orford.
July 17th – Norfolk – Lowestoft Classic Vehicle Show
August 21st – Norfolk – Lowestoft Classic Vehicle 45 mile Run
September 18th – East Norfolk – Coltishall – CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
October 16th – East Suffolk – meet in Stowmarket, run to Pin Mill, Shotley.
November 20th – West Norfolk – meet in Long Stratton, run towards Attleborough area.
December 18th – West Suffolk – meet in Hadleigh, run to the Crown, Ardleigh.

Plus local (and no so local) car events for 2005

March 25th – Good Friday - DAX open day, Harlow, Essex
April 2nd to 3rd – European Kit Car Show, Detling, Kent
April 24th – Manningtree Classic Car Show, Manningtree, near Colchester, Essex
May 1st to 2nd - National Kit Car Motor Show, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
May 28th to 29th – National Cobra Replica Club Weekend, Elvington, N Yorks
June 12th – Waveney Kit Car Group Open Day, Homersfield, near Diss.
June 18th to 19th – Le Mans 24 Hours (East Anglian mega convoy – 10 cars this year)
June 18th to 19th – National Kit Car Festival, Newark-on-Trent, Notts.
June 24th to 26th -Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex
July 28th – RAF Marham Families Day, nr Kings Lynn, Norfolk
August 7th – Cobra Replica Club national event at Rockingham Circuit, Corby, Northants
August 12th to 14th – Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring, Germany
August 13th to 14th - Great Northern Kit Car Show, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
August 28th – NASC Street Rod Nationals, Suffolk Showground, Ipswich, Suffolk
August 29th – Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
August 29th – Colchester Lions Club Vehicle Show, Colchester, Essex
Sept (date to be confirmed) – Track Day, RAF Marham, nr Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Sept 16th to 18th – Revival Meeting, Goodwood, West Sussex
Oct 15th to 16th - The National Kit & Performance Car Show, Castle Donington, Derbys.
Nov 19th to 20th – Great Western Kit Car Show, Exeter, Devon

Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.

Bye for now, Eileen
Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at "route66@pgen.net"