PDA

View Full Version : Brake pipe flaring tool

MrFawlty
16-03-05, 07:57 PM
Hi There,

I don"t suppose anyone has one of these I could borrow.I am in Reading,Berkshire.
Or are they expensive to buy?

Many Thanks

Steve

madjohnny
16-03-05, 08:09 PM
Got mine from Automec, about 70 I think, absolutely superb results!

kevchard
16-03-05, 08:35 PM
They are nearer to 15 - 20. They are a god send. I got ours from our local autofactors.

madjohnny
16-03-05, 09:43 PM
I agree some of them are, but you get what you pay for. The quality of the flares from a more expensive tool are far better than those you get from "horseshoe" type flarers which clamp over a former or the in-situ flarers.

No more functional though!!!!

Grease Monkey
16-03-05, 09:51 PM
Got mine from Machine Mart.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040212935&r=2076&g=111

Needs a bit of practising and a bit of filing of the finished ends but it makes passable pipe flares.

Alaska Gray
16-03-05, 09:57 PM
Get what you pay for here but if your only biulding 1 car Isuppose it dos'nt
matter to much try and go for a sykes pickavant one

Graham

kevchard
17-03-05, 08:35 AM
That's the sort of feller that we have, it does a very good job. I would not be without it now.

oglyoodoo
17-03-05, 12:31 PM
I have a Sykes Pickavant Cam operated garage type unit which is fine but previously had a Sykes Pickavant Flaremaster. Looked like a nice little job with good well respected name to go with it!
BEWARE.
The hydraulic ram was screwed into a horseshoe shaped alloy casting clamp. After the first couple of flares on Cupro/Nickel pipe, which weren't that good, the clamp broke in two where the Ram is screwed in.
Sykes Pickavant relaced the clamp and told me they had no previous problems with that part. The next time I tried to produce a flare the clamp split with a loud bang, well before the flare was complete, and the two bits shot across the garage one hitting a wall and the other narrrowly missing another car in the garage. When I spoke to the Motor factors I got it from they told me they had no end of trouble with them.
The Picture in the instructions showed the clamp with extra strengthening ribs at the point where mine broke. The ones supplied were doomed to failure at that point without additional strengthening. If it was made out of a decent piece of steel it would probably be OK. Any one out there that can mill up a piece of steel?? I don't know if Flaremasters are still available but I would certainly suggest you have a close look at the clamp before buying one....

Steve if you have a few pipes you want to flare you are welcome to pop over and flare the ends I'm only about an hour from you.

Denis

MrFawlty
17-03-05, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the offer Denis,

I may take you up on that.I may be going that way in a few weeks time for the stonleigh show and to collect manifolds/sidepipes from Shinybitz.
Are you going to the show, and what are you building?

Many thanks
Steve

oglyoodoo
18-03-05, 08:56 AM
Hi Steve

The Flaring tool is here if you want to use it.

All being well I will be going to Stoneleigh though not sure which day... As you can see from the Avitar I'm in the middle of a GD build albeit slowly......

Always wanted a car so I could have the wind in my hair... Soon I shall have the car but the hair is disappearing faster than progress....

Denis

MrFawlty
18-03-05, 09:05 PM
Thanks again Dennis,

I have just ordered my manifolds/sidepipes from Roger and will hopefully be collecting them and going to the show.
I"ll see how I go with the pipes maybe I will buy a tool or see if a local garage may do them

Cheers
Steve

Robin427
20-03-05, 09:24 PM
I've got to replace most of the braking system on my BMW otherwise it won't get through the MOT. Just bought 25' of copper tubing off eBay for a tenner so lots of fun and games to be had when that arrives!!

TonyD
20-03-05, 10:14 PM
All solid brake pipes and unions/ three way connectors for the Cobra build cost me less than 25 from my local motor factors already made up. All I had to do was cut lengths of string to exactly the correct length and attach labels to each string end telling the spares guy what connector ( male/ female/ size) I needed at each ends.

Did them while I waited and saved all the mess, scrap and buying of tools etc. and gives piece of mind when youre tanking into a corner or slapping the anchors on hard.

I'll be doing the same trick on the next two builds also.

Cheers,

Tony

steamyrotter
20-03-05, 10:19 PM
My tuppence.

Screwfix sell one for approx 20

Seems to work and with OK results.

Cheers

D.

MrFawlty
21-03-05, 11:29 PM
Hi Thanks for the replies

Got a quote from a brake/clutch garage today they will do them for about 20.Labour only
So I may just go that route.

cheers
steve

MrFawlty
26-04-05, 07:21 PM
Hi Denis

I have sent you a PM

cheers
Steve

Robin427
11-05-05, 04:49 PM
Just bought one of the Machinemart ones - does a reasonable job on small bore copper pipe, but on anything larger, seems a bit inadequate. That said, I am trying to flare stainless steel 3/8" tubing