View Full Version : suffix reg number

30-12-00, 03:00 PM
I have a 1987 jag log book for my cobra, I'm not using all new parts so won't get a new reg no, and am trying to avoid a "Q" reg but would like to fit a sixties type reg. Could I do this? if so, where could I get a number from? none of the cherished number guys seem to sell suffix numbers????

30-12-00, 03:40 PM

The DVLA will let you keep your number plate if you can score a specific number of points. There are points alloted for rear suspension, front suspension, steering rack and a couple of others. The registration form explains about this in quite some detail.

I registered my GD about 18 months ago and was able to retain the old number plate which I have subsequently changed for an older plate from http://www.newreg.co.uk

You do need the original log book from the old Jag.

Best Regards


12-01-01, 07:55 PM
Simon, if you get it registered without a Q plate (and I am not sure what you need these days to do that) you will be able to get a suffix plate from one of the sellers of cherished numbers, although they often don't list them on their automated searches on the net.

I sent a message to several of them and found a plate quite easily - I bought PYV 427 F

Good luck

John Tisbury
14-01-01, 06:28 PM
Hi Simon

I too kept the number plate from my original donar car. I bought a scrap 200 Daimler which on paper I used all the parts for. I also registered the serial number of my new engine on the V5, so on paper I'd used this to build the car. DVLA said I used enough parts and scored enough points to get an age related plate. e.g. another registration from the same year as my Daimler.


14-01-01, 08:19 PM
Look on the dvla web site the rules for point scoring are there:

If you use the jag running gear and transfer you engine to the Jag V5 you should have no problems in getting an age related plate.

Good Luck