PDA

View Full Version : RPI head gaskets

jeff
26-04-05, 09:15 AM
I purchased some composite head gaskets from RPI and I can not find "top" marked on the gasket.

I have phoned RPI and the lady who awnsers the phone has told me it does not matter which way they go on, but there is a difference in the size of the sealing ring that goes around the bores about 5mm one side and 3 mm the other.

I have emailed RPI for conformation but they have not as yet replied, has anyone here used these gaskets and can advise.

jeff

craggle
26-04-05, 09:34 AM
Hi Jeff

Is there any other markings on them such as the Land Rover Logo?

I have a set of genuine Land Rover gaskets at home and will have a look tonight to see if there are any differences in top and bottom sides.

Craig.

russell_ram
26-04-05, 09:38 AM
Jeff,

If you want an opinion heres mine. Fit with the wider ring to the top.

My reasoning:

The steel compression ring carries most of the compression load (so the gasket seals against firing forces ). The wider ring against the aluminium head will not allow it to sink into the head face as much as it would if it were narrower. It's a force per unit area thing/compressive stress and creep of aluminium. The thinner ring is obviously then against the top of the cast iron liner in the block, which has much higher compressive stress capability and better creep resistance than aluminium.

Russ

jeff
26-04-05, 12:32 PM
Thanks Gents,

Craig there are no markings other than a number, Russ as always you have set my mind at rest as I my thinking was along the same lines.

what would I do without this forum.

many thanks
jeff

craggle
26-04-05, 09:23 PM
Hi Jeff

I have had a look at my gaskets and heres what I found...

Top side has...

More metal showing around bores. Metal is also joined in the middle of the bores and metal part extends around bolt holes.
Red lines of sealer at both ends of the gasket by the water channels.

The gaskets I have got are actually made by Elring and I think they came supplied with the 4.6 short engine I brought for my Range Rover. The gaskets have numbers and the word top on them but no markings on the bottom side.

Hope that helps.

Craig.