PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp sensor

BIGUNDIES
07-05-05, 10:26 AM
Does anybody know if you can get a temp sender that has a thread size of 1/2 inch unc? I want to fit it in the sump plug hole. If one doesn't exist, can you buy a thread adapter that will fit the 1/2 inch inc thread and then screw the ensor into it? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Lee
:thumb:

Almac
07-05-05, 01:17 PM
Lee,

Try Europa, they do a whole range of adaptors - not sure about UNC though. Are you sure it's UNC and not BSP or NPT? Senders are typically 1/8" NPT so that's probably what you'll need to adapt to.

Merlin also do them although they don't include them in their catalogue. They've even offered to make me up specials if needed. Give them a call if you're stuck.

Alan

BIGUNDIES
07-05-05, 09:37 PM
Thanks Alan

I was told that nearly all sump plugs are 1/2 inch UNC. The sensor itself will be 1/8 inch NPT. I'll try Europa on Monday. Any other suggestions out there?

Lee

:thumb:

wilf
08-05-05, 11:31 AM
Think Automotive - they supply the likes of Europa in the first place.

BIGUNDIES
08-05-05, 07:57 PM
Cheers Wilf. I have used Think Automotive in the past with great success, I'll ring them tomorrow.

Lee
;)

BIGUNDIES
17-05-05, 09:26 PM
I have been told by the guy that supplied me with the parts for my engine, that the sump plug is 1/2". I rang up Gower Oaks who supply the smiths gauges and they told me that you can't get an adapter. I then spoke to Think Automotive who told me that the best thing to do was to fit it in the remote filter adapter by drilling and tapping a hole. I haven't done this yet as I'm waiting for the parts from Gower Oaks and trying to find other solutions.

Lee

Marty V6
17-05-05, 10:57 PM
Other solutions....

I recently fitted an oil temp sensor to mine. I situated it in the sump about a third of the way up from the bottom to the full level. I figured it would still be covered when the engine was running and sucking oil.

I just drilled through the sump and secured it with a nut on the inside. I was going to fit it in the sump plug, but after looking at it, I was worried that I would loose the sensor after going over the first bumpy road, or snag the sensor wire as it was so low.

Smearing both faces with blue Hylomar prior to final assembly stopped any leaks.

Cheers

Marty