PDA

View Full Version : What's a Newton?

Karl
08-05-05, 06:11 PM
Having sneaked around various cobras at Stonleigh last week, and got (or so I thought) the spec for some varilift stays for the bootlid, I tracked down the RS website and found various varilift dimension, but then they started talking newtons of force.

How many Newtons does it take to lift a cob bootlid? :confused:

PS, the smart red cob with the matching anodized torch in the boot probably has the answer.

TINKA
08-05-05, 06:32 PM
The gas struts that you need to bye from RS are adjustable, you will find them Far to strong to begin with so you use the tool provided and slowly let out the gas until they are about right .

HTH

dave
08-05-05, 06:56 PM
....Or just buy them from Dax at 40 Newtons each for the boot pair and around 90 each for the bonnet pair.

rich
08-05-05, 07:15 PM
Simple!
A Newton is the SI specified measure of a physical quantity of physical strength or energy as an attribute of action or movement, equal to the physical strength or energy as an attribute of action or movement that would give a measure of the quantity of matter in an object equal to the mass of a certain platinum–iridium cylinder kept at Sèvres, a rate of increase of speed or velocity of one ten-millionth of the surface distance between the North Pole and the Equator per second per second.

Ragley
08-05-05, 07:20 PM
Hi Karl

For ease of understanding, there's 9.81 Newtons in 1 Kilogram, or 4.46 in 1 Pound. If you want the complicated answer, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton.

Good luck
Dave R

Karl
10-05-05, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys, I think Dave came closest. I've gone for the Camloc Varilift (391 mm extended length, 150 mm stroke) which is 50-400 newtons variable. Any problems and I'll add to this post.