PDA

View Full Version : Installing coinl springs on gaz shocks

bogster
13-05-05, 08:21 PM
Not having much success installing the springs. I was told by Dax that I would not need a spring compressor. Well unless there is something Im not doing right there is no way Im going to get that spring compressed enough.

I've but a Draper compressor only to find that there is not enough clearance between the shock and the spring to put the tool on!

What way did you guys do this part?

Clarkson
13-05-05, 09:33 PM
your springs should slip in without a spring compressor. What are the length of your springs?? front or rear??

bogster
13-05-05, 09:43 PM
when you say slip on what exactly do you mean? The black collar at the top that comes off when you extend the shock, then slide the spring over and reinstall the collar. Is that it? Because there is no way I'm able to compress the spring enough to get it on.

thanks for the help

Clarkson
13-05-05, 09:53 PM
Yes, it's simple as that. your springs should be 9" if I remember correctly.

Purple AK
13-05-05, 09:56 PM
Normally if you have the right springs for the shocks, With the bottom seat screwed as far down as it will go, the spring goes over the shock and the top collar slides in. (You do have to align the slot in the top collar with the square lug under the top mount) If the springs are too long to do this? I would think you will get spring crush (Not Good)

bogster
13-05-05, 10:41 PM
Hmmmm doesn't sound good at all this caper! Have to investigate Holmes!!

thanks chaps

bogster
15-05-05, 12:05 AM
Hy Guys,

Front springs are 9 3/4"
Rear Springs are 14"

Unless I am missing something really obvious there is no way I can get these springs on without a compressor. Problem is all the ones everyone has are to big. the body of the Gaz shock gets in the way.

Thanks

bogster
15-05-05, 12:12 AM
forgot to add that the length of the front Gaz shock fully extended with nut for retaining coil spring screwed all the way down is 9 1/4". The rear Gaz shock length fully extended is 13 3/4". I know it doesn't sound much but the springs don't give very much when trying to compress them manually.

I think I'm going to have to make my own custom compressor.

Clarkson
15-05-05, 01:02 PM
Sounds like something is not right, why don't you ask Dave Brookes??

bogster
17-05-05, 08:09 PM
Hy Guys,

Just been speaking with Peter and Gary at Dax and it seems there may be a problem with the collars that hold the spring in place and slide in between the top of the spring and the underside of the eye on the shocks piston.

Looks like I may need replacement parts. Must say the guys at Dax were very helpful! Hey these things happen. Just wish it wouldn't have happened on the very first piece on the car I start to put together. I'm filled with confidence now......I can't even put a shock assembly together.....aarrghh!

JonnyT
17-05-05, 09:22 PM
Bogster,

Do not worry - unlike many others on here am also a novice - slightly ahead of you so may be able to help - nearly up and running on the whole chassis.

The springs took a day of swearing and near misses with flying springs!!!

The way to do it is with a press (the others on here I am sure will be horrified with the heath robinson method) with a split plate. Put the plates in a coil of the spring when over the shock. push the shock down with the compressor then place the collar over the shock. It works really well. And yes I broke the spring compressor I bought from machine mart on the 1st spring - didn't work and s*** quality.

Anything else let me know.

Jon

PS I had similar thoughts at that point - I hope it gets easier - and this forum is great.