PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile

clive a brown
19-01-01, 01:58 PM
I'm going to Santa Pod on the 8th April 01 on their Run what you Brung day.

Any body got any experience of running a Cobra replica down the strip?

Any tips; hints; or comments welcome.

It's a Dax with a Chevy 350 ZZ4 and Tremec 5 speed

what time might I expect?

Regards Clive

John Tisbury
19-01-01, 05:57 PM
Hi Clive
Been to quite a few meets at Santa Pod, but never seen any Cobras running so can't give you much info or help on times.

I've marked the date in my diary and will come along to see how you get on. If the weather's good I'll bring my Cobra along too sounds like a blast :7

John

robert
19-01-01, 07:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 19-Jan-01 AT 08:32 PM (GMT)[p]I shall definitely be going along with my new shiny engine and blower. Loads of horses can't wait to see what it will do.

John & Clive, do you want to meet at my house as I am not far from the pod.

Best Regards

Rob

John Tisbury
21-01-01, 06:56 PM
Sounds good to me Rob.

What's this about the blower!!!

Tell me more.

robert
21-01-01, 07:48 PM
Oooh, that. Well I seem to have this aim to reach the land speed record on the M1, and what better car to do it in than a GD with a 600 Hp engine.

Or maybe its my lemming tendency coming out, better make sure the life insurance is stacked up ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

John Tisbury
22-01-01, 09:40 PM
Well it sound the business. Do you have problems with under bonnet clearance, or do you have a large whole in the bonnet now?

600 ponies sounds great :7 , can't wait to see and hear that.

What blower did you go for? Not that from one moment I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but you never know.....

John

robert
23-01-01, 09:40 AM
I went for an ATI Procharger in the end which is a centrifugal blower not a roots blower. It sits way down in the engine bay and if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't see it.

The only giveaway is the carb cover, as the filter is now on the intake of the blower.

There is also a whacking great big air to air intercooler for that little bit more HP.

The engine only produces around 300 hp naturally aspirated and wil the blower it is increase to around 520. The intercooler then adds an additional 50-80hp due to the cooling properties of the intercooler.

Cold air means more horses.

Best Regards

Rob

PS Can't wait to go out in the summer hunting Porsche

imported_admin
23-01-01, 12:10 PM
Will see you at Santa in my baby too; after all it's only a 5 minutes away!!

robert
23-01-01, 12:19 PM
Ed

If you are 5 mins away, where are you?????

I am the regional rep for the area.

Best Regards

Rob

clive a brown
25-01-01, 07:16 AM
Rob & John,

Look fwd to meeting you both on the 8th April

I've just stepped up to hopefully 355bph with my Chevy 350 ZZ4, cant get my head round 500 horses - yet!

Regards Clive

agwebsites
26-01-01, 03:46 PM
I have not been in the country that long and I was wondering where abouts 'Santa Pod' is. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Regards,
Andy

}>

robert
26-01-01, 04:07 PM
Santa Pod is in Northamptonshire, not far from Wellingborough or Northampton.

Send me an email if you want directions.

Rob

clive a brown
03-04-01, 04:23 PM
>LAST EDITED ON 19-Jan-01 AT
>08:32 PM (GMT)
>
>I shall definitely be going along with my new shiny engine and blower.
> Loads of horses can't wait to see what it will do.
>
>John & Clive, do you want to meet at my house as I am not far from the
>pod.
>
>Best Regards
>
>Rob

Rob , Cars ready - got my helmet -plus quiet tee shirt - and brown trousers

Please sent map to your place on my Email Clive.A.Brown@BritishAirways.com

robert
03-04-01, 07:57 PM
Clive

Unfortunately, my car isn't ready and we have the regional meet that day, however I will be going to the pod afterwards, so you might want to meet at the meet, and we can go over then.

I will send you some info re the meet and the pod etc to the email address listed.

Best Regards

Robert
Cobra Club Web Bloke with a Supercharged GD!

RigMan
04-04-01, 03:13 PM
If the car 'hooks up' mid 12's could be possible. I am not 'up' on the rules at drag strips, but possibly one of the reasons that no one sees Cobras at RWYB could be that that are not properly equiped for the times they are capable of. I think, but am not sure of the time brackets, but if the car is capable of running sub 12's, then you are entering the serious race brackets and that Tech will want to see you have a full prop safety hoop, appropriate shatter proof belhousing, full roll cage, four point harness etc. Below 10's then you need a cut off swich at the rear of the car, parachute, 5 point harness, be able to demonstrate getting out of the car in 3 seconds or something etc..... and loads of other good stuff. (This is one of the reasons racing gets expensive.) Therefore, Robert, turning up for example, with a 500+ HP vehicle that weighs just 2150 lbs and little or no racing safety eqpt which is in theory capable of putting in some serious times is going to upset Tech some what. Having said all that, a RWYB event may have more relaxed rules than bracket racing, but then again safety is safety is safety!

Give 'em a ring first!

Rig.

robert
04-04-01, 05:04 PM
Rigman

I won't actually be able to go in My GD as the engine is waiting for Dyno time. I will be going anyway to have a look and find out what the score is.

In terms of race-equipment, I have dual roll bars, bullet proof bellhousing, proper flywheel etc. The car weighs 1075 Kg and will output a load of grunt, so 12s are potentially acheivable if I can get the power down, when I go later in the summer, I want to get Le Mans over and done with before I try a 1/4 mile.

The run what ya brung days are very very relaxed, all they ask for is that soft top drives tie their hands together and loop the rope or restraint through the steering wheel to ensure your arms don't fly about in the event of a roll, god forbid, and where a helmet.

Robert

mal
08-04-01, 11:18 PM
you could always try NORTH WEALD you can run what you want on test& tune days
and you dont have all the rigmarole of of tons and tons of safety gear and restrictions.and it`s a good day out,i`ll post the dates if anyone wants `em.
you can do the 1/4 in grannies wheelchair if you want,with 500 bhp Blown engine that should go some,though you might find ya`self coming up against the 1000 bhp
monsters that turn up there,all chromed to high heaven

robert
09-04-01, 11:31 AM
Very respectable 14s were acheived at the pod, and Richard in his 500hp cob got low 13s.

Great day.

Robert

robert
10-04-01, 02:40 PM
Mal

Where is North Weald and do you know the days they run?

Robert

clive a brown
10-04-01, 04:39 PM
Well I did it!
14.07 seconds and terminal speed of 104mph

Some of the best fun - legal and fully clothed!

355 bhp & 400 ft/lbs is actually more than enough any faster requires more to do with grip than power.

wheelspin all the way in 1st and 2nd and a little in 3rd had to grab 4th just at the end.

Brillant day - well done Rob and the others at the new region meet and for coming along and supporting.

What a brillant 50th birthday - what to do on my 60th is the next problem - answers on a postcard please.

Regards Clive - Dax 350 ZZ4 & Tremec 5 speed.

robert
10-04-01, 04:57 PM
Clive

Cobra club track day is the next option.

Robert

Neil
11-04-01, 12:03 AM
Robert, is this you? http://www.my427.com/files/clip1.avi

robert
11-04-01, 12:08 AM
That might have been painful.....

Hope he was wearing brown trousers.

Robert

mal
11-04-01, 01:09 AM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/mal/North_Weald.jpg
jct 27 off M25,M11 to jct7turn right up A414 entrance to North Weald Aerodrome of A414,test & Tune Days are (and you can run anything)April 22nd/June 17th/July 15th/August 19th.Have fun i`ll be there in the Beemer if Cob not ready

Neil
11-04-01, 10:27 AM
If he wasn't when he started I bet he was when he finished.

Robert, have you ever thought of adding Nitrous as well? its quite a thrill if you get it right :D

Neil

robert
11-04-01, 02:11 PM
I feel that between 550 & 600 hp and oodles of torque is quite enough for me, I might be slightly mad, but not suicidal.

Robert

mal
14-04-01, 08:37 PM
the test & tune day at North Weald on 22nd April has been cancelled due to the foot and mouth

imported_admin
15-04-01, 12:05 PM
Hello Clive,

I have some experience of R.W.Y.B. at Santa Pod in my GD 427 during 1999 and 2000. Like Rob I am local to the strip, 2 miles away, I can hear the top fuel and funny cars at home quite well!

My best time was 13.01 @ 111mph. See January 2001 edition of "Street Machine" magazine. Power isn't a problem, loss of traction off the line is where you loose the time! Testamony to this is the fact that I was beaten by a street legal VW Beetle from the early 60's that was cosistently running low 12 second passes.

It is my plan to go to the next RWYB on 29th April if the day is dry!

David Whyman
GD 427 (No blower - Yet!!!!!)

robert
15-04-01, 12:38 PM
Dave

I shall see you at the pod, as I think I might be able to acheive 11 to 12s at the pod.

Robert