PDA

View Full Version : Problems with hif6's HELP !!!!

bing
18-05-05, 06:40 PM
My rv8 is running rich, i had the carbs off checked that everything was fine it all seemed fine. The problem is i feel that the mixture adjustment was tampered with before i messed with it. It is set up at the factory not to be touched. I balanced the carbs and tried to do the mixture setting by lifting the dashpots a couple of mm and making adjustments on the adjuster screw ie lift dash pot engine dies mixture lean so make mixture richer on that carb by a quarter of a turn. Basically the car goes well but at tickover is rich and when blipped produces black smoke. Does anyone know how to correctly set the mixture as it is not detailed in the manual as it is factory set not to be changed by you and me .

I have noticed that people run holleys and webbers on the rv8's , without doing anything apart from just bolting on one of these carbs would i gain power or would i need to mod exhaust etc etc. Indeed do i need to change the inlet manifold to accomodate one of these carbs ?

tarmacscratcher
18-05-05, 10:31 PM
Have you checked the timing? It may not be the carb running rich.

neil still building it
20-05-05, 08:28 AM
hi bing
have you thought of using colourtunes??,also having 'balanced the carbs ' do you mean for airflow or taken off the dashpots to confirm both jets are 'down' by the same amount.......
NEIL

wilf
20-05-05, 08:54 PM
Simple - buy the relevant Haynes manual for the Rover that the engine came out of, and follow their instructions for setting up the carbs - as I recall they are complete and easy to follow.

jrv8
20-05-05, 09:10 PM
Hi Bing,

To get back to the base settings for the mixture:-
1 Remove both dashpots
2 Turn both mixture adjustment screws until the jets come up level with the bridges
3 Screw both of them back down 2.5 turns each.
4 Replace the dashpots

This is the starting point for mixture setting and is usually not too far away from ideal.
hope this helps
Jim