PDA

View Full Version : Wiring looms under carpet

kevchard
20-05-05, 10:47 PM
Is it OK for sva reasons to use duck tape to secure sleeved looms under the carpet in the cockpit.
If not, p clips would be a bit bulky and not sit very well.
We have a fibreglass floorpan, so iwas going to run the cables in under the doors down the length of the chassis.
I presume either way, that lots of pics for sva would be essential.
Cheers

Happy Jim
20-05-05, 10:55 PM
Kev,

I kept my loom in place with dollops of RTV sealant, then placed the carpet over the top, glued down. No mention of fixings was made during the test. You could easily answer that as it is held down along it's continuous length by the carpet it must be secure.

Rgds

Jim

kevchard
20-05-05, 10:58 PM
it was just that i remember a post not so long ago about having to have it fixed 'properly' so as it could not move.
duck tape seems to hold things pretty well, but glue may be the answer.
Cheers any other thoughts?

Purple AK
21-05-05, 07:10 AM
Hi Kev.

Mine passed with Duck Tape in the boot area. The only comment was some extra tape over some loose ends :thumb:

TonyD
21-05-05, 07:14 AM
At Birmingham they frown on duck tape and like to see proper clips, even if they are glued in place rather than riveted or bolted.

Cheers,

Tony

Chimeara
22-05-05, 06:42 PM
When I fitted my carpet on the Sumo the handbrake wire was really the only one that was giving me this problem. I used a continual line of the good old gaffa tape and then glued the fcarpet over it.

In the boot the loom is P cliped and the clips flattened. The carpet then glued again over it.

I cant comment on the SVA but il let you know in less than three weeks the outcome now.

Put it one way if this is all thats going to be wrong il be very happy indeed.

Anthony

stevee8
22-05-05, 06:58 PM
On production cars looms are run under carpet in the cockpit with no fixings at all so I would not expect any problem whether taped, siliconed or clipped.

Bowtie
22-05-05, 09:53 PM
I use hot glue (not only for wires). Faster and less messy than silicon. Easier to get rid of also of needed.

http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdImage/0603264542.jpg

kevchard
23-05-05, 07:10 AM
The glue gun is an idea i didn't think of. I have one of those in my toolbox that i have never used.

I will give that a go.
Cheers