PDA

View Full Version : Ford 302 Oil and filters

barlowboyo
21-05-05, 08:05 PM
Hi guys-just bought a cobra for the first time and loving it.

However spent the last hour searching for the answers to these q's, but with no real luck.

This is what I want to know-hope you can help-
For a Ford 302 which

1) Oil
2) Oil filter (one thats good for fine filtration I guess)
3) Air filter (guess a high flow one)
4) magnetic drain plug

do you recommend??????? Want the best available.

Where can I buy them from locally ish-live in Wimbledon, UK.

Seems Valvoline Racing 20W-50 good-can you buy this in the UK-if so where local to me?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Barlowboyo

Purple AK
21-05-05, 08:24 PM
Hi Barlowboyo.

Firstly Welcome to the Forum :thumb:
Your nearest (I think) source of parts is American Auto Parts in Croydon 02086847737. Yes Valvoline racing 20/50 is the recommended oil, although others will say differently. As for filters, Do a search on oil filters and it should bring up a study which sets out the pros and cons of different brands ;)
As your only in Wimbledon, why not pop down to the SE meet at The Grasshopper, A25 Westerham. tomorrow luchtime. (see thread)

Purple AK
21-05-05, 08:27 PM
Here you go ;) http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10224&highlight=oil+filters

smash
21-05-05, 09:10 PM
The oil filter real steel use for 302's is actually an SDi filter made by Coopers. As for air filter, well I had a cobra style oval filter which I just swapped for a 14" Moroso low profile racing filter and bizarrely I've noticably lost performance! Obviously it's a mixture issue but the point is it's most important to calibrate against whatever filter you have. the moroso filter claims to get a mild stub stack effect due to the radiousing of the drop plate - check out http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=34003 no height prolems ;)

Oil - as Chris says, Valvoline 20/50 comes highly recommended

barlowboyo
22-05-05, 11:26 AM
this forum thing is great-do you elder gents do life advice as well?!
Fantastic-thanks for the advice-keep it coming!
Barlowboyo
Will update as it progresses and pop on a couple of snaps

barlowboyo
22-05-05, 11:28 AM
PS Any other views out there especially on the oil filter (and oil)????

wilf
23-05-05, 06:09 PM
Moroso racing oil filter - also from Real Steel.

Slightly better oil pressure than with the Coopers filter - maybe 5psi at the top end.

craigh
24-05-05, 07:43 AM
get mine from real steel ,coopers filter,no problems at all with good oil pressure,and currently using valvoline 15 50 oil,also originally supplied by them now sourced locally

barlowboyo
25-05-05, 07:43 PM
KIND REPLY FROM REAL STEEL - >
Thank you for your enquiry.
>
>We would recommend the following for use in a 302 SBF.
>
>Oil.
>
>If this is a street car we would use Valvoline Turbo V 15W-50.
>We sell this @ 11.50 for a 5litre container.
>We would only use racing oil in a vehicle that is used for racing only. Racing oils do not normally have the additives and lubricants
>required for street use and you may wear out your engine prematurely by using this.
>
>Filter.
>
>We would use the Coopers # Z7 filter, which is the same as the Rover SD1. We sell these @ 4.58 each.
>
>We do not know of any stockists for these products in the
>Wimbledon area but we are near Uxbridge [not a million miles away] or else we can ship mail order.
>
>Regards
>Gordon Stone
>Real Steel

Thanks for all the info everyone-this is sorted and I am happy!!!!
Barlowboyo

wilf
25-05-05, 10:19 PM
"racing oils do not normally have the additives and LUBRICANTS" needed for street use" eh?

Hmm, well, they are right about the tendancy for a "racing" oil to lack the detergent loading seen in some "street" oils, but these are only there to help with the extended oil change intervals so foolishly depended upon by so many people (change your oil more frequently for a longer living engine!).
Most Cobra replica owners change their engine oil far more frequently then stricly necessary anyway.
As for the lack of "lubricants"??? in a racing oil? Honestly, I give up, and now I have identified yet another bunch of "experts" whose advice I shall be ignoring. And so should you.

rsk289
25-08-05, 09:31 PM
Now the 289's done a couple of thousand miles, I'm just in the process of switching to Silkolene synthetic. I'm assuming this won't damage the engine at all - in view of the number of cold startups to move the car out of the garage each time I get on with welding my Mustang, it should be better than the old stuff!