PDA

View Full Version : Could've been a lot worse I suppose

V8bassman
22-05-05, 09:01 PM
Went out for a blast this afternoon around the byways of sunny south lincolnshire, having a great time until this happened. Approaching a small village, caught up with a sunday driver in a fiesta, so decided to do the right thing and observe the speed limit then blast past him when we get back on the open road. Trouble was, he suddenly decided to stop dead in the middle of the road, then signal to turn right. I had to hit the brakes fairly hard, then BANG! No I didnt hit him, the bang came from the offside front brake caliper which had sheared off its mounting lugs and jammed itself between the wheel and upper wishbone arm. Bit of a screech of tyres and we came to a halt well away from the fiesta. Luckily we can only have been doing about 20mph at the time, I shudder to think what might have happened had we been doing a much higher speed out on the open road or approaching a sharp bend.
This all happened right infront of the village garage who had a recovery truck, so help was at hand and we got safely home.
I've never heard of this happening before, suppose it must have been a faulty casting and only a matter of time before it decided to say enough.
Damage (only!) appears to be one knackered caliper, one brake pad with a chunk missing, one wheel with a large dent and gouge mark all round the inside rim, and a couple of brake pipes to replace. So it looks like the old tub might not make it to Elvington this time, but I'll be there so will look forward to a few beers by way of consolation!

TINKA
22-05-05, 09:17 PM
Dave really sorry to hear your piece of bad luck, but as you say it could of been a lot worse. Hope it is soon back up and running as it would of been nice to see it at Elvington. See you there ( not sure what in yet ) :confused:

tony
22-05-05, 09:26 PM
Dave

Glad to hear your ok and only "minor" damage to car.

Steve H
22-05-05, 09:29 PM
Dave, sorry to hear of your dilemma. The same thing happened to me in a Golf GTI
in the mid eighties, it happened at the crooked billet roundabout just of the M25
in morning rush hour, because the caliper jammed against the wheel it could not
be pushed of the roundabout. The funniest thing was listening to the eye in the sky on Capital radio saying some idiot has broken down and causing 5 mile tailbacks.

Steve

Steve Senior
22-05-05, 09:32 PM
Dave

Sorry to hear about the car, its a bit of a worry when you think what might have happened. Glad its only minor damage.

See you at Elvington

Steve

TonyD
22-05-05, 09:40 PM
Just out of interest what is the donor vehicle that supplied the calipers ?

Cheers,

Tony

Rowie
22-05-05, 10:10 PM
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear the bad news, glad you are okay. You must be gutted about Elvington. Won't be there this year - off to sunny Las Vegas!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ian

tonym
22-05-05, 11:12 PM
Dave, glad you're ok. look forward to seeing you at Elvington, I have a bottle of red with your name on :thumb:

smash
23-05-05, 07:05 AM
I can entirely sympathise with this kind of luck...BUT, the most important thing - as everyone else has said - you walked away from it with minor damage when it could potentially have been much worse. Maybe someone was looking over you afterall ;)

I'd be tempted to replace both calipers I think...

V8bassman
23-05-05, 07:48 AM
Hi all, thanks for your messages. Now I've had time to think about it and let the implications sink in I realise we could have been in a lot more trouble, but it must have been our lucky day.
Tony D - the calipers are from a Jag XJ6 so you would think they should be bomb proof.
Tony M - wot, only one bottle?!!

V8 BJC
23-05-05, 08:01 AM
Dave,

Sorry to hear about this. Glad you are all OK though. As said, this could have been much worse. Hope your back on the road soon.

TonyD
23-05-05, 01:21 PM
the calipers are from a Jag XJ6 so you would think they should be bomb proof.

Indeed very concerning. :(

Did the bolts let go, the caliper lugs snap off or did the hub unit itself break ?

Cheers,

Tony

V8bassman
23-05-05, 01:58 PM
Tony,
The lugs on the caliper broke off. Spoke to Classic Spares earlier today to order replacements and they had not heard of this happening before.
The good news is all the bits are on order and should be here by Thursday latest, so we might just get it back together for Elvington!

Grease Monkey
23-05-05, 02:14 PM
Just as well it wasn't the hydraulic hoses that failed, or you'd have had rather a red face :thumb:

Happened to me in my spitfire once. Hared up outside a friends house in a cul-de-sac and stamped on the brakes to perform the obligatory squeel to a halt in a cloud of tyre smoke and the pedal went straight to the floor.

Lucky i had some run off to jam the handbrake on. One of the front flexi's had burst half way along its length. There ended that days adventures. :(

tonym
23-05-05, 03:35 PM
Dave, yes only ONE bottle with your name on, the other five are all for ME :thumb:

V8bassman
23-05-05, 03:51 PM
I wasnt asking for my benefit, Janette's the boozer in our family!

spoonies
24-05-05, 06:07 PM
Glad you're OK, had same trouble with a rear caliper on mine last year. Took me a bit longer to fix!

If you're ever in need of bits in a hurry, Lincs Jags at Scotter Common are near-by and have always been very helpful to me.

I guess you were out "blasting" on May Day, missed you at the May Pole, have to wait till we're 100 miles from home for the next time we bump into each other!

Colin

V8bassman
24-05-05, 11:21 PM
Front brakes now rebuilt, broken bits all in the bin, checked over the suspension & steering, all ok. Just waiting for Image to send me a new wheel (should be here by Thursday) and we'll be ready for Elvington, only 600 worth of damage! See you all there.