PDA

View Full Version : DB9 or XKR

Chimeara
28-05-05, 05:45 PM
Chaps hope you can help, my father was meant to have his new TVR Tuscan 2 convertible for his birthday in April, after being told its not ready they said it will be there in June. We went to the dealer today and they were very abrupt and said it will not be released now until october. He has now withdrawn the order and having his deposit returned as they are taking the micky now after waiting over a year.

The salesman didnt even care. In our dismay we visited the local Aston Martin and Jaguar dealer as he has always been an admirer of the DB9.

After great deliberation and test drives of bothe the DB9 & Jaguar XKR it has left him somewhat indecisive. There is no problem for funding either however the criteria is, his wife, my stepmum has to drive it and it will be used for long trips across the continent and for the odd track day. THe Jaguar seems more practical but come on the DB9 badge doesnt need anything said about it really.

Just wondered what your thoughts are on each car, ive tried getting him onto the cobra scene but thats failed, I personnaly prefer the DB9 but its not up to me so come on chaps help me persuade him.

Anthony

smash
28-05-05, 06:09 PM
Why not email Ben Samuelson, head of marketing and communications at TVR to express your concerns with that delearship's total lack of customer focus?
Maybe you can still save the day.... email - bsamuelson@tvr.co.uk ;)

simon
28-05-05, 06:09 PM
XKR is a nice car, but you've got to bear in mind it's based on the XJS platform and as such is very much older than the Aston. Still a nice car though (I'd take the Aston EVERY time, I've driven one it's excellent)
Simon

mark b
28-05-05, 06:36 PM
Go for the DB9, Great car and think how much the jag will loose compared to the DB9

Andy S
28-05-05, 07:07 PM
Anthony I have to agree with you and the others above it just has to be the DB9.......unless you can find a use for the jag running gear in say a couple of years time when you want to upgrade the Pilgrim !!!!!!!!!!!!! to a Dax or AK

bitsilly
28-05-05, 07:28 PM
Well you don't see many Cobra kits based on Aston donors!

I drive an M3 every day and it is bloody wonderful and 100% useable and safe but I still get the wobbles when I sit in a Porsche, neither have a ford door handle and personally I rate both ahead of the Jag. The Aston, well Jeremy Clarkson likes it so it will sell!

This doesn't help a bit does it! Sorry, it must be medication time!

Grease Monkey
28-05-05, 08:19 PM
Oh god, another BMW convert, quick call the men in white coats...

(Oh by the way, Aston every time, even with the ford parts bin! It's gorgeous, classic, British car with style, heritage, panache and longevity. If you want reliability or equipment spec buy Japanese or German! Yuk!)

wilf
28-05-05, 08:26 PM
Sorry - are we comparing a DB9 with an XKR, or a DB7?

If it is a 9, no contest in the desirability stakes. However, if the car is going to rack up stellar mileage, then the XKR is the one to have.

Robin427
29-05-05, 09:48 AM
Well you don't see many Cobra kits based on Aston donors!

Aston Martin use the Tremec T56 gearbox (or did) which is what I'm putting in my GD!!

craigh
29-05-05, 10:17 AM
db9 every time,the tvr will only fall apart and break down anyway!

ti
29-05-05, 10:24 AM
TVR ? XKR ? DB9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It even sounds better !! :thumb:

Robin427
29-05-05, 10:25 AM
I'd go for the Aston. It's got a better name and they're both Fords anyway (but then so's my GD - hubs anyway - is Cosworth owned by Ford?)