PDA

View Full Version : Sumo 1991 - Price please!

bitsilly
31-05-05, 05:41 PM
I have just been offered a Sumo by someone who found out I'm planning to build a dax. It is red 1991 and more spec to follow. However, it has a 2.1 pinto.

So any idea what its worth? And more importantly is it fairly straightforward to fit a V8, ie would typical sumo brakes/suspension/etc need upgrading?

I must admit I'm sceptical but was hoping that if it is smart I could rebuild it.

I would value ANY feedback. Thanks once again!
Ed

TINKA
31-05-05, 06:23 PM
Think I am right in saying that the MK1 sumo was not designed for a V8 and to put anything more than a RV8 would be very unwise. It might also need some serious modifying to be able to get a V8 in. If you really want a V8 it might be wise to look else where as Pilgrim have done quite a lot of development since that chassis was made and the current chassis is far superior. IMHO

bitsilly
31-05-05, 06:45 PM
Thankyou! Saved once again.

TINKA
31-05-05, 06:53 PM
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but the original Sumo was Literally a one donor car ( Cortina ) and was designed to use the suspension, engine, gearbox, steering, and even the wiring loom. Which is why they have now made some big improvements as people are wanting to put V8's in nowadays and occasionally V6.

marc davis
31-05-05, 07:12 PM
I have recently purchased a November 92 Sumo with a Rover V8 2500 miles and full history. The advise to me was do not get anything under a V8. I was looking at a 3000 V6 Sumo for 8750 but then I was my current one for 11,000. in mint condition. My advice is wait for a V8 as if you by a small Ford you will want to upgrade very quickly and V8's sell for more and go quicker.

I now want to look at something bigger already. You will soon get the bug and want more.

Regards

Marc

Safetyspice
01-06-05, 01:08 PM
I cant agree more, I looked at converting a pinto to V8 and found the cost to be between 4 and 5K depending on what power plant you put in, brake upgrade, stronger suspension springs, new engine mounts, possibly bigger radiator.......

I eventually found a chevy V8 sumo III that was 90% complete (yeh right!!!!!) for just under 9K

I have spent best part of 6 months finishing it off. SVA retest tomorrow!!!!! provided I can sort out a couple of niggles tonite

Well worth being patiend and waiting!!
Regards
Garry

Kevin W
01-06-05, 02:11 PM
er, guys, is this car actually a Mk1?
check to see if it has a live axle at the back. Yes = Mk1, No = MkII or MkIII.

Lost of cars were built in the early 90s with pinto engines, but could still take a V8. But I have to admit theres probably quite a lot of retro-fitting to do if upgrading. Price 7-8k IMHO. Should be sub-10k if its only a 4 pot.

Kevin

IanM
01-06-05, 04:14 PM
I have a MK1 sumo originally fitted with a pinto....when i bought it, it had a 2.8 v6 which i had changed to a rv v8 .Although i am reasonably pleased with the end result, it would definately have been cheaper to buy a mk2 or mk3 with a v8 in the first place.......we all live and learn!!!

bitsilly
01-06-05, 06:41 PM
Cheers all. I have gone round the houses once more and decided I'm not interested. However the car was c7K and I'll see it anyway Friday. If it is smart I will let him know about this site!

Will also check which mark it is but the thing is I want to build it not buy it! Makes little economic sense but I have time (now if only I had money!).