PDA

View Full Version : Chrome/stainless indicator stalks

shif
31-05-05, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know of anywhere that i could source chrome or stainless indicator stalks? However, i'm picky as i'd really like it to be the type that you push as well to activate, say the horn. and i'd like that bit chrome too!! don't want too much do i??

Cheers

snake_bitten
01-06-05, 06:15 AM
I made my own but without button as I have center horn, it was'nt all that hard but could turn out costly for push button if you have to pay for engineering.

DayCoupe
01-06-05, 08:15 AM
Just as a thought, to prevent the large expense of having to have a one off set of stalks made (assuming you can't buy the type you want off the shelf!) it may be possible to get the ones you have coated with a chrome effect coating of some sort. This is assuming that you currently have the plastic stalks from the donor vehicle with the push button on the end to operate the horn. Just something that may be worth investigating :)

shif
01-06-05, 09:12 AM
the stalks that i have are nasty! i was hoping i could source some ready made and have a friend attach them to the switch

DayCoupe
01-06-05, 09:21 AM
I understand you wanting to get away from the donor stalks, like you say they aren't the prettiest of things. It wouldn't be too hard for someone to make you a set of stalks from some stainless rod, and then machine a fitment to take a push button switch on the end. The main problem would be getting the wires for the switch down the centre of the stalks to the column. I assume this could be overcome by using some small internal diameter stainless tube. May be worth drawing up what you want, finding a suitable end switch, and then just speaking to a few companies who do machining work in your area to get some quotes. At least that way you will end up with exactly what you want :thumb:

There may however be a company that makes these, but I am not aware of any myself. Goodluck with sorting something out :D

JonnyT
01-06-05, 09:38 AM
If you find anywhere let me know - I have been looking at the shows and on the internet for years but I have never found any. I think you may have met your match in the picky stakes when it comes to interiors!!!

IanM
01-06-05, 04:11 PM
Has anyone tried spraying the plastic with a conductive paint...then using a nickel or bright plating kit to coat the existing stalks

TINKA
01-06-05, 05:12 PM
I made my own storks from the Sierra setup and they do have a button on the end to operate the washers on one side the other has a false button so that they look the same, but as the horn is in the wheel it does nothing.

shif
02-06-05, 07:46 AM
how on earth did you make your own??? i'm assuming you have engineering skills etc?

bitsilly
02-06-05, 08:04 AM
Have a look at the older MG units, I fitted one to my Racing Land Rover because they are small and neat and simple. They can come with a chrome button on the end, the rest is black. However the earlier ones which do not have the push for horn option could easily have the stalk removed and replaced with a chrome rod and you could then reuse the old black and chrome end. At least thats if my memory serves me correctly. If you need the horn, the chrome stalk would have to be hollow. This is all presuming you have a nice cover for the column mounted gubbins!

shif
02-06-05, 08:08 AM
do you mean old mg as in midget and b or do you mean earlier? i had a midget and can't remember it having chrome indicator stalks, but my memory's not what it was!

bitsilly
02-06-05, 07:06 PM
The MGB, it's only the end that chrome but it should be easy to swop the stalk. It's a bit more complicated if the horn is by pushing the stalk as opposed to centre of the steering wheel.
A 72 one I had had a steering wheel horn, an 82 one had a stalk horn.

shif
02-06-05, 07:10 PM
i'll contact the mgb hive and see what they have
cheers

JonnyT
02-06-05, 09:10 PM
is the only problem with making them yourself the fact that the plastic usually provides the insulation for the push switch. The actual mechanics / machining necessary should be quite straightforward shouldn't they?

bitsilly
02-06-05, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't try to make the mechanism as it is fairly cheap and has lots of springs etc but with the MG one pressing in the stalk for the horn only earths the end knob to the stalk (the whole stalk does not move). If you used a hollow chrome stalk you could run insulated wires and just have a push to make switch!?
One proviso, the diameter of the steering column should be very similar to the MGB as when it isn't (eg land rover!) it is difficult to reshape things to allow the self cancelling mechanism to work, though not impossible!

gareth08
04-06-05, 06:53 AM
It.s fairly east to make your own as I did.Changing designs is fairly easy as is putting a switch on the end.
Regards
Gareth