PDA

View Full Version : Needle bearing

davep
04-06-05, 07:17 PM
I am currently fitting the wishbone into the inner pivot mounting. The shortened wishbone I have collected from AK seems to have a needle bearing already fixed in on either side. I have the replacement washers, seals etc to fit. This includes two new needle bearings (four for each wishbone). Are the needle bearings left in the wishbones meant to be there, and hence do I still add my two (to make three in each arm - six per wishbone), or have they been left in by accident and hence I have to remove them before adding my two, making four per wishbone.

If they are meant to be there, then it makes a difference which way I put the wishbones in - should these be gease nipple facing up, or facing the ground ?

Hopefuly a simple one, but any advice warmly welcomed !

cheers

Dave

rich
04-06-05, 07:25 PM
Dave,
The ones left in are only the old bearings, the person who gave them for exchange didn't strip them out.

Press them out and put your new ones in.

Grease Monkey
04-06-05, 07:29 PM
The lower arms fit with grease nipples pointing down, so you can get to them. The needle rollers fit 2 on each part of each arm, one on each side, 8 in total (as i remember)

If you're assembling your driveshafts yourself, do yourself a favour and don't do what i did! make sure the nipples all point towards the middle of the driveshaft NOT the hub and diff like mine do. :angry: :angry:

davep
04-06-05, 10:52 PM
Many thanks, my original thoughts were two, but then started to think about the probability of all 4 being left in, and they were stuck fast. Anyway, one side fitted now, although the shaft took some persuation to get through :D

cheers for the advice on the driveshafts, I'll watch out for that one, next job for tomorrow :thumb:

Dave

TonyD
04-06-05, 11:09 PM
Hi Dave,

Watch out when you put the angled grease nipples into the driveshafts, they have a nasty habit of being snapped off when the drive shaft swivels on the hub shaft, unless they are actually installed in the hub carrier.

The best thing to do is not to install the angled grease nipples on the UJ that sits in the hub carrier until the very last moment, and then remember to use spacing washers on the threads to ensure you can grease the nipples when required.

Btw is it common knowledge that the splines on the XJS hub carrier are different from the Series 3 XJ ?.....I found this out the hard way when I was trying to fit a series 3 drive shaft into an XJS hub carrier.

No amount of serious hammering will ever get an XJS hub carrier to mate with a series 3 drive shaft..............and I have the plasters on my fingers to prove it !!

Cheers,

Tony