PDA

View Full Version : GD Cobra (Jag Based) Build Costs

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:10 PM
For those that are interested i'll be posting what it's cost me to get from Jag XJ6 to registered GD427.

I'll also include a listing of what was optional and what was essential. watch this space...

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:12 PM
This was a 1986 (C) reg Jag XJ6 bought from a dodgy geezer in the welsh valleys for 150.

Including fuel, bridge tolls, Local council to take away the bodyshell and another rear axle (XJS 3.54PL Diff) from a local breakers this came to:

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:15 PM
OK, this section includes all of the stuff i couldn't actually bolt onto the car or use to sand/clean build the car.

This includes 6 months road tax, registration fee, insurance, lots of postage and carriage, vehicle and trailer hire to collect the body/chassis, SVA test fees etc

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:18 PM
All of the Jag components were stripped back to the lump of metal, cleaned and almost every Jag bush/bearing/disk seal and bolt was replaced. This also includes LSD oil & replacement lower wishbone

All of this came from Wards and a local SS bolt supplier:

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:21 PM
I already had a pretty well equiped garage with regards to spanners, sockets, screwdrivers etc, but still neded up spending more on the following:

Brake pipe flaring and bending tools, ball joint puller, engine crane, polisher and bonnets, rivnut gun, 3 x soldering irons!, dial gauge, paint, sandpaper, wire brushes etc

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:24 PM
These pretty much all came from GD and include everything that attaches to the chassis, including, Chassis, Shocks, springs, steering rack, radiator, oil cooler, rad fans, oil therostat, full SS exhaust system, propstaft, anti roll bar, rad pipes, header tank, fuel lines, P Clips, brake pipe ends and unions and all bolts and P clips required

Andy302
06-06-05, 07:24 PM
Very helpful, but why do I get the feeling its gonna be a long night!!:p Maybe an Excell sheet is required?:thumb:

P.S havent said so already so congrats on both new arrivals!!

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:27 PM
The engine came from EngineFactory and the gearbox / clutch / bellhousing from Repower. This cost also includes import tax, shipping, engine mounts, manifold gaskets, bolts, heater pipe nozzles, various T pieces for senders, oil, antifreeze, rad cap, earth strap, speedo sender unit etc

Pretty much everything to fit the engine and box to the chassis and get it ready to run.

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:30 PM
OK, this is the big one and includes all of the brightwork, roll hoops, pedal box, nudge bars, overriders, locks catches, fuel tank, filler cap, pipework, windscreen, mirrors, rubbing compound, steering wheel. In fact everything to complete the bodyshell except the interior and the electrics.

- Cheers Andy.!!

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:33 PM
Again most of the actual items came from GD, like lights, dials, windscreen wiper set, heater fan, washer bottle, but other items like horns, the wiring, fusebox, relays, switches etc all came from VWP.

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:36 PM
Almost there...

The Interior came via GD and is their standard quality Leather and Carpet set. This includes the boot carpet and extra headreats on both Roll hoops as well as on the seats.

It also includes leather door panels, handbrake gaiter, dash and gearstick gaiter and glue for the carpets.

As yet i dont have any weather gear, but i'm planning to get a tonneau soon.!

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:38 PM
Set of Toyo T1-Rs ? and 3 piece Halibrands from Image with fitting, balancing and new nuts.

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:40 PM
All builds have to have a few of these. Thankfully this list is pretty short and is more a list of exchange units (Flywheel, clutch, starter etc) than items left on the shelf!

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:56 PM
OK this comes to 27690.77 or thereabouts.

Stuff you could build one without include

Adjustable pedal box
Rear nudge bar
4 over riders
Twin roll hoops
Roll Hoop Headrests
Anti Roll bar
Oil Cooler & Thermostat
Gell coat Colour
Ally front undertray
Stone guards
side vents
snap off steering wheel and boss

To name a few items, so you could save 2828.26 by cutting out some of the bling and options.

Grease Monkey
06-06-05, 07:59 PM
I do have a spreadsheet of every cost to date, which includes all of the small things you might forget about, like paint, brusges, glue, sand paper rubbing compound and all those clips, bolts and little parts the you can't do without.

Anyone building or thinking of building a Jag based GD Email or PM me and i can send it across.

Andy302
06-06-05, 08:14 PM
You have mail:thumb:

robert
06-06-05, 09:03 PM
I do have a spreadsheet of every cost to date, which includes all of the small things you might forget about, like paint, brusges, glue, sand paper rubbing compound and all those clips, bolts and little parts the you can't do without.

Anyone building or thinking of building a Jag based GD Email or PM me and i can send it across.

Zip it up and post it here.

Grease Monkey
07-06-05, 01:35 PM
Here you are,

A breakdown of everything you need to complete a Jag based GD427 using all new parts (except the Jag Donor parts)

I built up the relays / fuses and loom myself, so GD costs will differ. I just didn't like their choice of SVA switchgear so my wiring was all based around the switches i wanted to use.

I'm sure you could do it cheaper and i've been told you can build a GD cobra for 10 - 12k, but if you want to do it properly you're looking at this budget. :thumb: