PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Exhaust End Cones

V8 BJC
08-06-05, 07:50 PM
I have the Dax Stainless Side pipes and one of the end cones came off at Elvington. Both end cones were fixed to the main pipe by a single 5mm pop rivet and have been fine for 2 years.

After Elvington, I decided to add another 2 rivets to each pipe just to be on the safe side.

However, I took the car to be painted and all 3 rivets on 1 pipe were gone by the time I got there. I thought that maybe I needed longer rivets so the painter put some new ones in today. I have just driven home and all 3 rivets have gone again.

Any ideas on what maybe causing this?

How have other people fixed the end cones on?

At this rate, I will be stopping every 5 mins on the way the Le Mans :(

Purple AK
08-06-05, 08:13 PM
Hi Brian.

I would be inclined to replace the rivets with Stainless Self Tappers ;)

kdavies3
08-06-05, 08:34 PM
I assume you are using alloy rivets?
I reckon stainless ones might have more luck.

V8 BJC
09-06-05, 07:56 AM
Thanks Guys,

I have tried to get some stainless rivets from B&Q/ Homebase/ Motor Factors and noboddy has them. Also, I tried to get some nice stainless self tappers with a nut styyle head a while ago with no success.

Where does everybody get this stuff from?

Chris - I have already drilled three 5mm holes for the rivets. Will I get self tappers to fit in these?

mikey
09-06-05, 09:24 AM
Hi Brian

Met you at Elvington - Im the other one that lost the rivets.

I have used 2.25 inch self drill self tappers that reach the baffle. Drill throgh casing and up through baffle. Use a small washer and a spring washer to secure. Should work fine although I cant give you the benefit of lots of miles with this solution.

Do not be tenpted to use Stainless Steel. With the correct tapping hole so that it is tight the Stainlees will break due to its brittle nature. The reason I say this is that FDave Brooks warned me of this and I chose to try it anyway. The srew broke and it took me over 6 hours to drill the thing out. In the end I had to drill arond the thing to get it out. In addition I have a paint job to do as the drill slipped and made a hell of a mess of the body at cill level. Once tapped you may then well be able to substitute for stainless but I am going to change the plated ones after every season instead.

Best of luck
Mike.

V8 BJC
09-06-05, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mike.

Did you use the same ones on the front end of the pipes. Both of my fixings have gone from there two.

How big a hole do I need to drill into the baffle for this?
Cheers

mikey
09-06-05, 12:29 PM
Yes, but I think the secret is the spring washer - I hope. The hole size I think was 3.9 mm for a 5mm screw, but you may want to use up to 4.2mm to make it easier
Mike

Neil O
11-06-05, 04:55 AM
Brian,

Maybe it's not the way to go, but if you want some stainless pop rivets give me a shout, I'll take some with me to Le Mans for you. You'll need to take the tool though.

Alternatively try high temperature duct tape, it comes in silver so no one will notice........:D

Cheers,
Neil.

V8 BJC
11-06-05, 07:43 AM
Cheers Neil - I have some self tappers so plan on trying this today.

Hi Brian

Met you at Elvington - Im the other one that lost the rivets.

I have used 2.25 inch self drill self tappers that reach the baffle. Drill throgh casing and up

Mike.

Hi Mike - good to meet you at Elvington. When you mentioned at Elvo that you planned to bolt your exhausts, I did not realise that you had lost your rivets too - I thought that you were going to change the rivets after seeing the result on mine. Were yours held on with 1 alloy rivet only? Did you have any damage?

May car is painted now - the guy has done a top job. I have some 2 inch 6mm self tappers and plan to try this today in one of the holes that you cant see with some more rivets in the ones that you can see.

I hope the 2 inch screws are long enough as I cannot find anyone with any longer ones.

kdavies3
11-06-05, 09:27 AM
It makes me glad that I have the earlier welded front end Dax pipes. :thumb:

Although I have modiified them to be able to remove the internals if necessary. :D

mikey
11-06-05, 09:31 AM
Yes they wee alloy and part was left in the cone which allowed me to inspect it. I think the differential expansion between the aluminium and the stainless caused the neck of the rivet to fracture as it was split in two.

I honestly think yhe best way now is to tap the hole with a galv self drill and then to change for stainless with the same thtread. Damned if I can find any stainless self drill that size. Can anybody else help.

I was lucky as I got no damage, but I drove home with my head over thre top of the door inspecting the cones most of the way home.
Mike

V8 BJC
13-06-05, 08:06 AM
On saturday I tried using a 2 inch self tapper into the baffle with washer and spring washer on one hole on the rear side (as it lookes a bit ugly. Then used two slightly bigger 5mm allum rivets in the other two holes. Went on the south east drive yeasterday, got home and one rivet is gone !!!!

The next option is to try stainless rivets as I really dont want to use self tappers all round - they look a bit ugly and some people have mentioned that they will eventually fall out due to the different expansion properties (screw and pipe)

Niel, can you bring some stainless rivets to Le Mans (the holes are (5-6mm) - I tried a few places locally but no one has any. Dave B mentioned that these will be very difficult to apply properly with a hand held gun. Have you used them with a hand held?

Cheers

crendonman
13-06-05, 08:50 AM
Brian,

Six inch nail and gaffer tape works every time!!! :finger: :D

Neil O
13-06-05, 09:31 AM
On saturday I tried using a 2 inch self tapper into the baffle with washer and spring washer on one hole on the rear side (as it lookes a bit ugly. Then used two slightly bigger 5mm allum rivets in the other two holes. Went on the south east drive yeasterday, got home and one rivet is gone !!!!

The next option is to try stainless rivets as I really dont want to use self tappers all round - they look a bit ugly and some people have mentioned that they will eventually fall out due to the different expansion properties (screw and pipe)

Niel, can you bring some stainless rivets to Le Mans (the holes are (5-6mm) - I tried a few places locally but no one has any. Dave B mentioned that these will be very difficult to apply properly with a hand held gun. Have you used them with a hand held?

Cheers

Brian,
I'll take some with me, but I have to say I haven't used any of them yet! I think they'll be harder to pull with a hand rivet tool, but Crendon Man (a new kind of Superhero?) has big hands, so it should be ok...........

Cheers,
Neil.

craggle
13-06-05, 09:32 AM
Hi Brian

If you are just trying to hold the rear cones on the pipes then could you not remove the cones and get some M5 or M6 nuts welded on the inside.
You could then bolt the pipes together with a nice stainless dome head screw and some threadlock. This should not come undone too easily.

Craig.

rocket
30-06-05, 09:31 PM
Give me a ring if you need st/st rivets.

roger on 07720713885 www.shinybitz.co.uk