PDA

View Full Version : MOT emission failure

chiffer
09-06-05, 08:29 AM
Yesterday my cobra failed the MOT on one point only, exhaust emission. The CO figure should have been below 4.5, but was 5.4. The car is correctly registered 1975 before SVA. I thought emissions did not apply because of the year, also there are no emission figures given on the new V5. Am I right? Thanks

GUMBALL
09-06-05, 09:05 AM
Chris,

Pretty sure you are right - should have been just a visual inspection for smoke (I think?). - That is all mine ever gets.

GUMBALL

jrv8
09-06-05, 09:15 AM
hi,

From memory, 1975 is the cut off year and vehicles before June 75 are exempt. (just a visual test) Any vehicle after June 75 will be subject to a 4.5 % emission test.
Jim

westborne
09-06-05, 12:50 PM
Had mine MOT'd Monday
No Probs - No emission Test - just visual - everything OK apart from RHS handbrake pad not gripping as well as Left - said I would adjust and Car passed

Tip - use a garage that knows and understands Kit cars - I am fortunate I have two near my village.

Grease Monkey
09-06-05, 02:58 PM
Should be quite easy to adjust. Mine was showing 7.5 at the SVA centre. Tweaked the two idle mixture screws and got it down to 2.2 CO and 600ppm HC.

Tends to stall under breaking now, but at least i know where the screws need to be for emissions, just need to unscrew them for day to day driving

chiffer
09-06-05, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys. The garage that usually does the MOT has moved premises and is waiting for permission to start doing MOT again, so they are using another garage in the meantime. I told them it did not need an emission test because of the year, and that obviously went in one ear and out the other. Feel a lot happier now and as Adrian said, I can just tweak the carb if needed.

Thanks again

Purple AK
09-06-05, 05:44 PM
From a previous post.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/7.3%20exhaust%20emissions%20-%20spark%20ignition%20-%20non%20cat%20test.pdf Bottom right of page. Effective 01st Aug 2004. This is from VOSA Special Notice 4/2004 which ALL MOT stations receive, and ALL testers should read, sign as such. And Adhere to :mad:

SimonP
09-06-05, 10:50 PM
In reference to that footnote on the MOT emissions flowchart, my original V5 document DID NOT state the emissions limits. I spoke to DVLA at Swansea, then sent the V5 back for the limits to be officially entered on it.
Thankfully these were transferred to the new V5C automatically.

Taking the V5 to the MOT should prevent any dispute.

Simon.

robinj66
10-06-05, 05:19 PM
BLOODY HELL!

I've just checked my V5 and it says the emissions limit is "%CO 0.5; 0.3FI HC 0.02FI: LAMBDA 0.97-1.03"

Am I right int thinking this will have to be sent back to DVLA for amendment as the engine is DEC 1985 Cologne and will never meet these levels (it does not have a cat fitted)

I also notice that the V5 is marked "non transferable registration mark" - does this mean I could not put a private plate on if I wish (and could afford it)?

Help :confused:

Grease Monkey
10-06-05, 05:22 PM
I think 'non transferable' relates to the plate on the car. ie mine is C37EHW which i'm expecing to be non transferable.

This mean i can't move this plate to another vehicle, but I can put another plate on the Cob. As soon as it's removed from my GD it will go back to the main DVLA pot.

robinj66
10-06-05, 05:54 PM
Thanks for that at least. Anyone care to comment on the emissions?

TonyD
10-06-05, 09:51 PM
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the post, it started me thinking.

Just checked my new style V5C and my emmisions requirements mirror yours, and I have chopped the cats out of mine.

I've still got another two years before an MOT is needed but I'm going to check this out as my MAC certificate and first old style V5 made no mention of emmisions levels.

Anyone else had this requirement slipped into their new V5C?

Cheers,

Tony

julian
11-06-05, 09:21 AM
Had mine MOT'd in April and they simply wound down the mixture screws to get the CO's below the limit, then wound them up again after the test.

Buggered it all up though so had to take it for a Dyno afterwards and still not completely right.

Julian

SimonP
11-06-05, 11:04 PM
BLOODY HELL!

I've just checked my V5 and it says the emissions limit is "%CO 0.5; 0.3FI HC 0.02FI: LAMBDA 0.97-1.03"

Am I right int thinking this will have to be sent back to DVLA for amendment as the engine is DEC 1985 Cologne and will never meet these levels (it does not have a cat fitted)

Yes, you should get that V5 sorted out ASAP.
If your car went through SVA, then the limits it was tested to should be on record.
If you were given a printout of the emission test at SVA, you have all the proof you need.
If you don't have this, it may help you to visit the testing centre and see what info you can get from them prior to contacting DVLA.
All the paperwork you needed for registration (and that photocopy of your MAC) will be of great assistance to you.

My guess is that because the DVLA didn't have any info of the actual engine type or age, they've just entered the "not listed in emissions publication" limits.
This is down to the local registration office not being educated on the finer points of kit car registration - they've treated it as if it was an import.

If your car is pre-SVA, then you just need to contact DVLA and explain that the emissions entry is incorrect and should be removed.
Refer them to the clause in the MOT manual (from the link posted).

Please everyone, check your V5. This may not be affecting you now, but the forthcoming "online" MOT system will be telling the tester (and the gas analyser!)which limits apply - and conceivably could record a fail because the wrong limits are on the database.

Simon.

SimonP
11-06-05, 11:37 PM
Here are 3 document scans:
1. The emission test results from SVA. Importantly, this shows the limits it was tested to.

2. The emission entry on the old-style V5. This is AFTER I had contacted DVLA and requested they add this info (after reading up on online MOT), plus correct a couple of other little errors.

3. The emission entry on the new V5C. As the info was on the OLD V5, they had something to copy over....

Hope this helps you,

Simon.

robinj66
12-06-05, 06:53 AM
Thanks Simon

Looks like I've got some letters to send Glad that this problem has been highlighted now (only SVA'd in April) rather than 3 years down the line.:)

chiffer
12-06-05, 10:24 AM
From a previous post.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/7.3%20exhaust%20emissions%20-%20spark%20ignition%20-%20non%20cat%20test.pdf Bottom right of page. Effective 01st Aug 2004. This is from VOSA Special Notice 4/2004 which ALL MOT stations receive, and ALL testers should read, sign as such. And Adhere to :mad:

Thanks Chris, but I could not open the above site. But have managed to get a copy of the exhaust emissions required from the MOT inspection manual. Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 to be considered first used before 1 August 1975. Cars used after 1 August 1998 ("S" reg.) should be tested to the limits stated on the registration document.
Mechanic who failed mine was not too pleased when this was pointed out. Some people can not stand to be proved wrong. Never mind going back on Thursday to collect my certificate. It passed, thats the main thing.

TimH
12-06-05, 11:24 AM
Just checked my new V5c and it doesnt have anything listed against emissions (i.e. they are blank).

The only special note is that it is a "Kit Built/Converted - Assembled from parts all of which may not be new"

Does this lack of entry for emissions suggest I am subject to just a visible test ?

The car was registered in 2002.

Regards,

Tim.

SimonP
12-06-05, 04:05 PM
Tim,
The emissions section of the V5c only has info in it when provided by the manufacturer, or when a vehicle has been tested on the Enhanced SVA.

Non-standard limits are entered in the notes section.

As your car has undergone SVA, it will (in theory) be tested to the 2002 "not listed in emission publication" limits (same as those printed on RobinJ66's V5c).
It will not be tested to the pre'75 visual-only check.

It is up to you to prove to the tester that your vehicle should be tested to less stringent limits than usual for a 2002 vehicle. The tester cannot argue with what's printed on the V5c.

A little bit of work contacting Swansea now could save you a lot of hassle later.

Simon.