PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good alternator...?

Andy302
09-06-05, 05:42 PM
Im trying to decide what alternator (ACG) to buy to fit to my '71 Ford 302. Im going to use the full March serpentine pulley set with bracket etc and Ive spotted a few at Summit. Proform, Summit, Powermaster & Magnum. Im unsure about a few things.:confused:

1) Rating, is 60 amp sufficient for a GD?
2) Do I worry about 1 wire or not?
3) Can I use any of the 302 ACG's on offer at Summit?
4) Has anyone used the Magnum ACG's that are colour coded?
5) Are there any special mounting requirements I need to know about, I know the March pulley 30180 set puts the ACG low.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

TINKA
09-06-05, 06:15 PM
Just got one from Summit all chromed, single wire rated to 100amp and serpentine pulley. Only cost $129 and works a treat, only thing with the single wire setup is It doesn't start to charge till you blip the throttle but that is no real problem.

TINKA
09-06-05, 06:41 PM
oops :o forgot to put the part No SUM-810303

Andy302
10-06-05, 05:20 AM
Thanks Martin,

Can you tell from yours if the pulley, fan and that metal disc (maybe its part of the fan) can be removed as the march kit comes with its own pulley and fan and I would use that to match the rest of the front set up.

Cheers

TINKA
10-06-05, 06:45 AM
They do come off as like you I have a march pulley set and have replaced the pulley but left on the fan. They lined up perfectly with the rest of the pulleys with not adjustments at all. :thumb:

maxGD059
10-06-05, 07:04 AM
Just got one from Summit all chromed.

You tart Tinks -am I going to need my shades when I finally see your engine bay? :D

Andy302
10-06-05, 01:47 PM
Thanks again, more parts/money added to the list!!

Almac
10-06-05, 04:32 PM
Andy,

I got a chrome single wire from summit a couple of months back (for my 302) - Summit part number SUM-G1666. I haven't actually fired the engine up yet (but that's only a week or 2 away) so can't really comment on performance but it looks good!! I made up my own mounting brackets and fitted it on the upper near side of the engine. As well as the single wire connection it does have the original 3 wire connectors still in place, covered by a rubber blanking plug. I'm hoping to be able to pick up a charging light connection from one of them.

I'm just down the road from you so if you ever want to have a look see, feel free.

Alan

Andy302
10-06-05, 04:36 PM
Alan,

Many thanks for the offer, would be interested to / inspired by looking at a near completed 302 as mines still a bare block.

cheers

Almac
12-06-05, 09:27 AM
Hi Andy,

Just sent you a PM with my contact details. Call anytime.

Cheers - Alan