PDA

View Full Version : membership opinions

dave.n
09-06-05, 09:39 PM
Just to throw wood onto the fire.
And with the honest intensions of not upsetting anyone.
Opinions on car events.
Should full members get first offer of tickets and non-members second take if places are not taken.
Should it be a first come first serve basis across the board.
If there are non-members at an event are they entitled to be on a Cobra Club stand.
How should you police this matter or find out who is or is not a member.

Should any of the above matter in the slightest as long as your having fun.

Lets get some serious input going as I've had to work solid this week and won't get out in the car until sunday and it's eating away at me for something to grit my teeth at.

fcukruss
09-06-05, 10:38 PM
does anyone really care.
there are wars going on in the world and all were worried about is if someone is a member of the cobra club or not
personally i think its a bit sad.
who wants there car on the stand anyway getting mucky finger prints all over it
just my five eggs worth
but as im a non member i dont suppose it matters anyway
personally i couldnt give a t**s if my car is on a club stand!

it will get attention wherever i park!

dave.n
09-06-05, 11:00 PM
Well said fcukruss
you are obviously going to edinborough on the 8th with geldof.
At least you have an opinion.
I did put some words in bold that show a little of my opinion (similar but different).

snake_bitten
10-06-05, 05:53 AM
I totally agree, what does it matter as long as people support the event, it can take lot of effort to organise these events and they should be positively supported by all.:thumb:

As to having my car on the club stand! I am not that fussed, I am happy to park at the back next to the rubish skip. I am building the car for my enjoyment, if other people like it ..fine if not it won't cause me any loss of sleep (building it will tho!!) :p

russell_ram
10-06-05, 08:17 AM
However, if the event, stand etc is funded by the Club, then Club Members will have paid for staging it. Would that change your opinion??

Russ
CRC Club Treasurer

Paul B
10-06-05, 09:16 AM
As a local organiser, I am all for encouraging other Cobra car owners who wish to put their cars alongside the regular club members but, part of the membership charge goes towards the costs incurred in setting up the club areas and making suitable arrangements etc. Therefore, I would expect that this hospitality would not be abused on a regular basis.

Tickets etc should be distributed to the regular club supporters first with any spare being given to the infrequent attendees.

I know there will be those for whom a club membership will be the last thing they want. Others will, obviously, take it the other way and make it the centre of their life. Personally, I enjoy the company of many of the other couples who attend the various events and we always try to make everyone welcome, but, it is meant to be fun and it is only a hobby.

Overall, the club is for everyone who wishes to get involved. If you donít want to be involved, donít join (but donít bitch either).

One query though, why do so many join then not get involved ?

Paul

tony c
10-06-05, 09:25 AM
The reason so many join and not get involved is because they want to contribute towards the cost of running this website because if there were no Club there would be no website. A few pounds well spent I would say.

Tony C

Paul B
10-06-05, 09:45 AM
Tony C

I hadn't thought of it that way, Maybe I am just too cynical !

I suppose the club magazine is another reason but when we (the club) arrange something local, like we did last year in South Wales, and nobody from the locality comes along, except Kevin and Sandra who arranged it, you start to question whether it's worth trying.

Paul

robert
10-06-05, 09:51 AM
From my perspective, if I organise an event, then the event should be open to ANYONE with a Cob, regardless of whether they are a club member or not, as long as the costs of the event are covered. If club members want to turn up, then they will be welcome, if they don't want to turn up, their loss. :thumb: :thumb:

fiona
10-06-05, 09:55 AM
I want to be a paid up member but each time I have tried going through the site to pay for membership it is showing a £0.00 value. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks

robert
10-06-05, 10:01 AM
I want to be a paid up member but each time I have tried going through the site to pay for membership it is showing a £0.00 value. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks

http://www.cobraclub.com/membership/ and select UK & BFPO membership.

tony c
10-06-05, 01:25 PM
I actually consider that I have free membership because as I am a member of the CRC I get a discount of £30.00 when I insure the Cobra. I insure with Osborne and Sons but I am sure the discount applies to most Insurance Brokers if you ask for it, so I really cannot see the point of not being a member.
Paul, you have to accept that that not all members enjoy the organised get togethers and that all area's are different. Dont blame members for not attending an event just because its been organised, its their prerogative whether to attend or not.

Tony C

Paul B
10-06-05, 02:53 PM
Tony

I know, I know, but just sometimes when you get feedback that "nothing happens in my area" then they don't support when a special effort is made to put something together, you end up feeling "why bother ?"

I don't believe attendance should be mandatory but sometimes it would be nice to have the newletters and effort acknowledged rather than only get contacted when a member wants to sell his car or get free tickets for something.

Paul

crendonman
10-06-05, 03:36 PM
My view is if you don't want to be a member and get some benefits, don't join!

Those who do join however, should get priority over non members, when it comes to events such as Elvington Track Day, Rockingham Parade Laps, (Brands Parade Lap)?, any shows with limited spaces, free tickets or preferential admission charges and the like, etc etc.

I agree, that not everyone wants to display their cars nor be involved in club activities, but its still worth £23 in my view, just for the Web Site and copies of Snake Torque.

Andy S
10-06-05, 05:18 PM
Dave as all of our events, shows etc are funded by us or as is normally the case free or cheaper etc then as far as I am concerned it should be open to anyone who has a cob and a smile. We know who the regular attendees are in the southeast and generally these are the ones that get any tickets etc. Club members or not.
However it does pose a problem when numbers are limited and suddenly everyone wants to go.
1st come 1st served seems to have worked so far, as its the regulars that hear about these things first generally anyway.

dave.n
10-06-05, 05:57 PM
Andy
I'm quite happy with the way we run things around here and as you clearly state it not only works for our region, but we can truly say we have a good laugh :D :D :D . There are no plans to change anything.
Just thought I'd ask others their opinions, but it seems there are loads of reasons for and against and I've hit on a few raw nerves.
It's good to talk.

Neil O
11-06-05, 06:53 AM
I can't see a good reason for not being a member. I think it's fair to pay £23 to help keep the website going anyway. Add to that Snaketorque magazine and you get a pretty good deal I think!

I edit the newsletter for the southwest so I am involved, as are others that work very hard for our area, particulary Martin Lancaster (our Overlord). However, not everyone wants/can get involved.
But it's the same with all clubs, some want to be involved and get stuck in, others just want to sit on the edges and go to the odd thing that they fancy (this is fine) and then there's always a group that will moan about the lack of events etc but not try to help organise anything or support the events that are run.
Generally I think you'll find that you get out what you put in, I personally have met so many great people and made good friends via the club. The events I have been to have always been well run and very friendly.

I'm not bothered if a non-member wants to have his car on a stand or go to a members event, that's how you get people to join up sometimes. Rob's right (for a change), all Cobra owners/enthusiasts should be made welcome as long as they come to enjoy themselves.

Cheers
Neil.:D

PAULGD
11-06-05, 08:12 AM
I believe that all should be made welcome; but where an event is organised and subsidised by the Club then it is only right and proper that preference should be given to members, and nonmembers be surcharged. This normally happens in most clubs, and to be fair you must be pretty tight!! not to fork out £23. Afterall its only an afternoons petrol. (In my case an hour).
I saved £50 on a years insurance so for the meanies out there put your hands in your pockets and stop having a free ride.
Paul

snake_bitten
11-06-05, 09:06 AM
Tony

I know, I know, but just sometimes when you get feedback that "nothing happens in my area" then they don't support when a special effort is made to put something together, you end up feeling "why bother ?"

I don't believe attendance should be mandatory but sometimes it would be nice to have the newletters and effort acknowledged rather than only get contacted when a member wants to sell his car or get free tickets for something.

Paul

Paul

Personally I have attended only two of your events which were monthly pub meets and were very enjoyable thank you.:thumb:

However as I work away during the week the only time I get to build my cob is at the weekend, so as you can understand this time is very restricted. I am sure that this is the same for many others to greater or lesser degrees. It will be a different matter when the car is finished...........any and all excuses to drive it come rain or shine:D

As to the cost of membership how many of you have saved the cost of having to buy replacement parts because you would have cut, bent or drilled it wrong, if you had not read the correct way on this site...I know I would be about £200 out of pocket.... you dont get that kind of return leaving it in the bank!!!

Goldie
11-06-05, 07:34 PM
maybe, one idea,
if there is a track day, then the club members pay one price, and the non club members pay £22.00 extra, being the price to make them into members.!!

Cheers