PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

maverick
13-06-05, 05:45 PM
Need to get an alternator for my ford 302.
The cob will be running megasquirt fuel injection.
What are other members running?
Any good recomendations for a high output small size.
Any good bracket suppliers? Probably best top drivers side.
John.

maverick
13-06-05, 06:18 PM
Just noticed Andys alternator post 4 days ago.
Any more ideas appreciated though.

TINKA
13-06-05, 06:23 PM
Hi Maverick, I am running mega Squirt on my 351W and got a nice chrome one from Summit in the States. It is a serpentine one and is rated at 100amp Part No is SUM-810303

or try this link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=alternators&N=0&part=SUM%2D810303&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

This is the non Serpentine Version
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=alternators&N=0&part=SUM%2D810302&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

The bracket I got to hold it is a march setup which looks the dogs danglies part No is MCH-30055

or try this link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?Ntt=mch%2D30055&N=0&part=MCH%2D30055&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

maverick
13-06-05, 06:30 PM
Hi Martin,
Got 351W heads on this engine.302 block and 289 internals.
Take it the bracket is a top mount?
I still need pulleys for the water pump and crank so would be handy to get gear that lined up nicely.
John.

Andy302
13-06-05, 07:59 PM
Heres a question I hadnt asked though.

Does the serpentine ACG actually mean reverse rotation when compared to the V belt type? i.e as I am using just the ACG, water pump and crank pulleys do I need the V belt type ACG and then fit the march pulley from the serpentine conversion kit (6 rib belt style)? My motor was originaly a V belt type, no serpents in 1971!

No difference in price, just pulley type and maybe rotational direction, I cant remember if ACG's are direction dependant?

Cheers

gareth08
13-06-05, 08:17 PM
Andy,
The serpantine set usually equates to the water pump running anti-clockwise and everything else clockwise (make sure you have the correct handed water pump and front cover).On the v-belt everything runs clockwise.There are a few strange ones knocking about though.(I have one)
I,m using a Bosch alternator from a Vauxhall (120amp & mounted top drivers side) with a standard 5.0ltr Mustang mounting bracket running a serpintine set up.
Regards
Gareth

TINKA
13-06-05, 09:47 PM
Originally my setup ran in the reverse rotation but I changed the water pump and cam cover to match and now run the normal setup. Had no problems with this setup as far as this alternator goes up till now. Not sure if it matters which way the alternator turns :confused: sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :(

gareth08
13-06-05, 09:59 PM
Tinka,
You're right it doesn't matter what way the alternator turns as long as the fan is the right way for the rotation (although this isn't mega crucial).
gareth

TINKA
13-06-05, 10:13 PM
Good point I never thought about that I will check it out :rolleyes:

Cheers martin

Andy302
14-06-05, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys, so its just the different pulley on the Summit alternator. As Im changing it I guess it wont matter which one I buy!

So I take it that normal engine rotation is clockwise? Is this this true for the Ford 302?

Cheers