PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 350

bitsilly
14-06-05, 01:33 PM
Have decided to keep an eye out for a second hand 350 and rebuild it. Is there a recommended year or type or anything I should watch for? (You plonker, you didn't get THAT one,,,you paid HOW much??etc story of my life)
Also what is a second hand one in fair order worth?

Thanks

Grease Monkey
14-06-05, 03:06 PM
Get a list of engine numbers and casting dates from www.mortec.com

Then check the block you're buying is pre 1993 (?) to avoid the hassle of a CAT.

Price wise 500 ?

JamesP
14-06-05, 03:32 PM
As well as date codes to check you have the right block (305, 350, 400, 2 or 4 bolt mains etc)& understand emission implications detailed above have a look behind the timing chain cover for a '010' and/or '020', these blocks had additives in the metal to aid flow in the moulds and are more sought after.
Also check the bore diameter to, unless the bores are in really good condition - ie recently rebored, I wouldn't go for anything else than a std 4.00" bore as you'll prob need to take it out 30 thou to clean it up and whilst you can go out 60 thou in some blocks I wouldn't recommend it unless you get the wall thickness tested first.
Generally look for cracks, between water holes in heads, between bores on head, around the lifter bores, all good places to look.
Of course you need a stripped down block to check these items, if you can't check then it'll prob be reflected in the price
James

Andy302
14-06-05, 04:15 PM
You wouldnt go wrong talking to Adrian whos often on the club site, his web site is www.americanv8engines.co.uk (http://www.americanv8engines.co.uk) he's a very helpful chap who probably has exactly what you are looking for (age, mileage, condition) at a good price too I expect.

Give him a call.

Dutch Paul
14-06-05, 04:34 PM
You wouldnt go wrong talking to Adrian whos often on the club site, his web site is www.americanv8engines.co.uk (http://www.americanv8engines.co.uk) he's a very helpful chap who probably has exactly what you are looking for (age, mileage, condition) at a good price too I expect.

Give him a call.

Seconded for Adrian
I bought a 350 chevy 2-bolt main from him last year.
It was sold to me as a "cut-out" (probably need rebuilding)
It was still on standard bores although needed a rebore. The crank was perfect and only needed a polish.
He guarantees that the block is rebuildable ie if it is cracked, too far overbored etc he will change it for another one.
It`s a little pot-luck what you end up with but at least you`re guaranteed you won`t end up with a heavy doorstop :D
And the price was reasonable too.

bitsilly
15-06-05, 07:55 AM
Paul, I've just read your signature line (there is a fine.....). Perfectly put! I can identify with that!!!!! And I guess we're not alone!
Will give Adrian a call.
Ed

Goldie
15-06-05, 11:01 AM
I can also give my approval of getting a cut out engine from Adrian... I have never touched one before and with his help I was able to do the rebuild myself... Throughly gratifying..!!