PDA

View Full Version : Dead right or just awkward?

Bowtie
18-06-05, 08:54 PM
I have been looking at different Cobras for years and some look dead right but some look just awkward. Does anyone have a scientific explanation to what makes what?

/ Bowtie

Ps. This is not a Ford vs. Chevy thing (bonnets closed)...

gareth08
18-06-05, 10:38 PM
No not really.I guess that each manufacturer has changed things slightly to suit thier chassis etc and maybe also to make thiers different from another.
Gareth

Robin427
19-06-05, 05:53 AM
You might be seeing photos of some that have had the suspension wound up high to get them through SVA. You might also see cars fitted with wheels that are used as a temporary measure until the real ones come through (or become affordable!!)

Grease Monkey
19-06-05, 09:02 AM
I also guess theres a multitude of bolt on bits like bonnet locks, mirrors, fuel caps that will differ from SVA test to road use.

Also arches vary considerably to fit the donor running gear. Some have small lips, some gave large extensions (Viper!)

donut
19-06-05, 09:48 AM
I have been looking at Pilgrim Sumo's allot lately due to the fact that i'm going to build one soon and have noticed that some look wrong and some look right. Ram, Dax, Ak etc all look right as they can support wide wheels and tyres where as the Sumo and others seem to have narrower wheels and tyres although some look better than others. I have put this down to tyre size and ride height. If you use the widest tyres that will fit under the arches and wind the suspension down then they look as good as any high cost replica.
Andy

dave.n
19-06-05, 06:03 PM
Andy
I know your coming on sunday there will be dax, ram, pilgrim, crendon, ak, srv8, ge and bundles of advice. different wheels, tyres and ride hights fifteen very individual cars.
May help you decide a few things.

mylesdw
19-06-05, 09:52 PM
The one thing that makes a car look really 'wrong' is when the wheels aren't centred in the arches (view from the side). To me it screams "this body does not belong on that chassis!". Correcting this could be a major chore.

The second one that makes Cobras look a bit strange would be ride height but that is usually easier to adjust.

donut
20-06-05, 06:52 AM
Cheers Dave

I will look forward to haveing a good look when i get there. It will still probably be the Pilgrim because of cost and having the build DVD and the fact that i have already ordered the donor pack (Granada Mk3) oh and they are not too far from me which makes life easier.

Still i'm open to suggestion if you feel there are others that would cost similar ammounts to build but look more authentic.

Andy

Bowtie
20-06-05, 11:14 AM
Let me exemplify what I mean by right and wrong (hopefully without hurting anyone’s feelings):

Lets start with my RIGHT:

427 S/C (making side pipes and roll bar ok, even though I prefer none or black ones):
http://www.roadcompanion.ca/edito/mag/articles/22119/AC-Cobra-427_big.jpg

Now over to my WRONG:

Rear end and wheel arches:

http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/custom/1965_AC_Cobra_replica2.jpeg

Wheels and rollbars:

http://www.easer.com.pl/galeria/easer_ac_cobra_green/EASER%20AC%20COBRA%2003.JPG

Ride height (rear):

http://www.automag.be/IMG/jpg/Cobra.jpg

Body colour:

http://pages.infinit.net/accobra/hi/ac/photo-ac.jpg

mikey
20-06-05, 12:37 PM
I agree whole heartedly on the colour, looks much better than the blue - such a common colour.

I think if it looks right is in the eye of the beholder. As the car is not a cobra, but a replica, you can choose as much of it or as little of it that you want to replicate.

I think there is a good percentage of the kits out there that look a lot better than the original. Yes I'd love an original' but mine is not one of them. Further more whilst it may not be my cup of tea, all the above if the owners love them add up to a rich variety of cobs which I think is a good rather than a bad thing. Even the blue one has some merit - if you like that sort of thing.
Mike.

simon
20-06-05, 02:54 PM
Mike,

I think bowtie was suggesting that the multi-coloured (commonly known as "Tart's paintwork") Cob was in the WRONG camp!

Simon

Kevin W
20-06-05, 04:36 PM
Just a comment, under the previous ownership, a number of early cars where turned out with odd wheels (i beleive a few had 14" halibrands!), and skinny tyre/wheel combinations to save on cost. Particualrly seen on MkI amd MkII Sumos with mangles (fake wire wheels) fitted.

Also early sumos had relatively little 'dish' on the rear wheels, again making them look thin. Solved when bodywork was revised for the mkIII with wider rear end. Early cars also had high ride height due to springs supplied and use of donor cortina suspension i think. again, addressed when MkIII was developed.

The really odd one to me in the above pics is the silver one. Looks like a GD with poorly repaired crash damage, or is it a US kit?

Kevin

dingocooke
20-06-05, 06:50 PM
I guess it depends on whether you're looking to build a 'period' looking car, or a modern interpretation on where a cobra might have gone had it been built for longer?

If you're going for 'period', I think the main culprits to it looking a bit wrong are (as Milesdw suggested), poor centering of wheels in arches; along with odd wheel size/tyre aspect ratio combinations, and of course 'non period' trimmings and light coloured interior trim.

Only my opinion, and I love to see both approaches.

Steve:thumb:

mikey
20-06-05, 07:39 PM
Mike,

I think bowtie was suggesting that the multi-coloured (commonly known as "Tart's paintwork") Cob was in the WRONG camp!

Simon

I know

If you look at the attached photo you will see why I bit back. However one nice thing was I have an offer of £43,250 for the car if I want to sell it in the next year. The guy exports unusual cars to India and gets a fortune for them - mainly TVR's and Morgans. At this stage I tolsd him no thank you, but I may be tempted in 9 or 10 months.

Mind you my Tart should be pushing out over 500 BHP so it should be able to mix it with the rough stuff hopefully.
Mike

Robin427
20-06-05, 09:22 PM
I think that colour looks great...

Bowtie
21-06-05, 01:24 PM
Didn’t want to offend anyone (sorry if I have) and maybe I should have left out the colour of the car? It’s more a question of personal reference and taste and that is really not what I was after. What I am seeking are those key features that makes a Cobra look “right” or “wrong”. I know that most of that also will fall in the “personal reference and taste” category but some should be more “universal” than others.

I have (through this conversation) learned that colour isn’t important. Wheels, in the same way, aren’t important as long as they fit the body and chassis proportions and don’t look awkward in any other way. The selection of wheels should therefore mainly sort under the same “personal reference and taste” category as colour.

Ride height and body proportions and shapes, as wings and the overall shape of rear and front ends is another matter. That is probably what contributes most to an awkward look. Some might be easy to correct like ride height (depending on chassis design) and some might be harder to correct (like shape of the body).

Any other characteristics or features worth looking for (both good and bad)?

/ Bowtie

tony c
21-06-05, 01:57 PM
Mikey, beware of strange men offering lots of money. My experience of India is that the roads are so bad a Cobra would be of no use over there at all.
Remember the old saying " a tart in the hand is worth two in a bush"

Tony C

jeff
21-06-05, 03:38 PM
Mikey please be carefull on that one, mate of mine did something simular with a AH 3000 a few years back. He has not seen the car or the money since

jeff

mylesdw
21-06-05, 07:48 PM
Mikey, I agree with the other comments, that offer (from a dealer!) is too good to be true.

Going back to the thread topic, and in particular the critique of mikey's car (which is fun!) I would say that in isolation that colour would look odd on a cobra BUT he has chosen several other 'modern' components to go with his 'modern' colour and the result is that the result works well (imho). It is not trying to be an accurate cobra replica but rather a 'Cobra for the new millenium' or whatever. A bit of a ramble but what I am trying to say is that departures from authentic can work well if they are thought through and consistent.

mikey
22-06-05, 07:43 AM
Thanks for that.
I dont think I'll sell it for a few years anyway. The moneys not an enticer as it cost me that to build it anyway.

With regards concensus of opinion on what looks right on a replica I honestly dont think it matters. When I go to shows I look at the replicas as replicas and not originals and I think we are kidding ourself if we think it is an original. However virtually everybody I have met takes it in the spirit that I think makes replicas even better than the original in some ways. That is it has a lot of the builders character inherent in it (that dosent mean to say Im a chameleon.

I think its great that we get a wide variety of cars at shows and I tink 99% of those turning up are great and remember some have been built on a limited budget etc etc.

Personally I would not enjoy as much going to a show to view 300 near identicle replicas as much as I would viewing 300 different ones. Its in that context that I then really enjoy seeing one that clones the original and yes I probably look at it longer and enjoy.

Variety is the spice of life and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think all cobra replicas have their piece de resistance.
Just my twopenneth anyway
Mike

Paul B
01-07-05, 12:39 PM
I must say that I agree with Bowtie. When looking at various cars, some look better than others.

Two of our West Country members have Contemporary cars from the USA and they just have proportions that look better and give the impression of being more substantial and look more "real".

Even sitting next to my Sumo, it is difficult to see exactly what the differences are but they have a significant visiual effect.

With regards to colour and trimming etc it's down to the owner but one of the Contemporary's mentioned above, is orange (!!!) and still looks good.

Weird eh ?

Paul