PDA

View Full Version : Pedal height?

kevchard
22-06-05, 06:34 PM
:confused: Hello
Having a complete mish/mash of a car, all 3 of my pedals are different heights, is this a poss SVA fail?
Clutch and brake are in a marina pedal box, but i have a different clutch master cylinder than standard, which has a longer clevis and rod assembly.
Clutch is nearer driver, next 'shorter' one is brake, then throttle. They are all same height from bottom of floorpan, but they project different heights away from the bulkhead (how bad does that read?).
I do not want to start messing about cutting new threads on cluch clvis bar and chopping threads off if i dont have to.
Cheers for now.

TonyD
22-06-05, 09:10 PM
Kevin,

I dont think its a fail but try bending the accelerator pedal so its more in line with the brake for aesthetic reasons and it wont look half as bad.

Cheers,

Tony

stevee8
23-06-05, 08:41 PM
Kevin,
Have you considered packing out the clutch master cylinder from the bulkhead?
Due to the pedal and operating rod geometry, a small thickness packer at the master cylinder can make quite a large difference at the pedal rubber & it saves stripping down the pedal box assembly.
I successfully did this on a road car years ago.

kevchard
24-06-05, 07:38 AM
Bending the pedal to match would not be the easiest thing, but packing out the cylinder would not take too much effort.
I will see what i can do over the next few days.
Cheers for the advice.

AKBandit
24-06-05, 07:32 PM
Hi,
Packing out the clutch seems a good idea, but isn't the clevis ajustable ? You may also have to watch the travel on the clutch pedal as you may be putting all your force against the master cylinder when it reaches the end of it's travel, which may either bend the rod or damage the cylinder, if you push down to hard.

I do not believe it is an SVA failure.
Mark

kevchard
24-06-05, 10:15 PM
hi mark
i have already wound the clevis as far down as it will go. i may have to remove locking nut from the shaft and also 'move' the hole in the clevis pin that bolts to the pedal.
who said life was easy :(
cheers for now

steamyrotter
25-06-05, 10:12 PM
who said life was easy :(
cheers for now

Viper
Easy

Mutually exclusive as i said before:D

:thumb:

kevchard
27-06-05, 01:44 PM
I have drilled a hole closer to the pedal in the clevis pin. Both brake and clutch are equal now.

Jobs a goodun as they say. Thanks to everyone for the help :)
Cheers

steamyrotter
07-08-05, 11:33 PM
Kev

Just out of interest how high are your pedals from the floor?

Cheers

Dean.

kevchard
08-08-05, 08:05 AM
I will check tonight Dean.
All i can say at this moment in time is that with the brake pedal fully depressed (bit like you lol), then it is prob approx 1 inch from the bulkhead. Pedals are probably just a bit less than a size 9 shoe distance from the floor itself (with foot flat on pedal, normal car type positon).
We have the marina pedal box, with significantly cut down pedal length.
Cheers

jeff
08-08-05, 01:58 PM
Kev, watch out for that distance between brake pedal and bulkhead, I had a car fail SVA on this. the tester said that if I lost one half of the duel system I would not have enough room to take up the extra travel this would produce.

I asked him what sort of distance it should be and he advised that I look at a seirra and aim for simular. I ended cutting and bending a V in the pedel and welding plates to fill.

Passed on retest.

jeff

kevchard
08-08-05, 04:55 PM
Thanks for that Jeff.
I have approx 1 inch without the master cylinder having any pressure (eg without the brakes working).
I hope this is ok.

kevchard
08-08-05, 07:25 PM
Hi Dean
Pedal at nearest point to bulkhead is 85mm (with pedal not operated). Pedal from floorpan is 145mm (pedal unoperated).
All this is with no carpet fitted.
Hope this helps.
Keep on slogging away.

steamyrotter
09-08-05, 05:51 PM
Cheers mate.
Will check mine this weekend (approx as there is no body yet....)

Nice lights by the way:thumb:

ps
kev can you look at
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13477
and comment

Think it's same as yours??

cheers