PDA

View Full Version : RAM almost there....

simon
12-09-02, 02:13 PM
VERY nearly finished (well, enough to be on the road anyway) just waiting for the seats and exhausts and its a driver!.
Tales of muppetry today.
Decided to start the engine again. I haven't started it since I installed the oil cooler and thermostat so took out the dizzy and put the oil pump thingy down the hole (technical eh?) to wind up the oil pressure and get some oil round the engine (been sat for 6 months-ish)....no bl**dy oil...huh? loads in the sump, no probs there then. Why's it not getting around? is the thermostat hooked up wrong? turned the oil pump over again and I could feel the oil pumping through the pipe to the remote filter but NOT out the other side! turns out all the time I'd taken to route the pipes without any sharp bends and mount the oil thermostat was undone by me getting the connections to the filter round the wrong way (one way valve in the filter you see) anyway, changed over, loads of oil, no probs. put the dizzy back and the engine started first time:-):-) :-)
Ran the engine for a while before I noticed coolant pi**ing out from a hose I'd forgot to tighten, but once tightened up, it was water tight...yipee.
After a while I thought I'd better switch the fans on just to make sure it didn't overheat so threw the switch on the dash and on they came.
A few minutes later I turned the engine off and a few mins after that I turned the fans off. Or rather I didn't. They were still on and wouldn't go off. In the end I had to throw the battery cut out to stop them. "Oh dearey me" thought I, I've frazzelled the switch or something (couldn't work out how though, as both fans run through separate relays) I started to pull the dash apart before realising that the fans had stayed on because of the thermostat (you muppet) that I'd wired to be live all the time, the same as the fans.
It can take so long to build a car that it's easy to forget what you've done.
see you all at Donnington.

Simon

Steve
12-09-02, 02:32 PM
Bet you're glad you caught that error, easily made as a chap in the US found out , only trashing 2 engines in the process (www.cobralads.com)

Steve

GUMBALL
12-09-02, 02:45 PM
Well done Simon, nearly there!!

Still some sun to be enjoyed this year, but, as anyone else here who has built their on car will tell you, it doesn't matter how cold it gets, if it's dry you will be out and about somewhere.

GUMBALL

paul
12-09-02, 08:57 PM
You not got those underslung pipes on yet? Why not ?:7

simon
13-09-02, 08:07 AM
Decided to clean the garage out...rolled the car back....swept underneath....rolled the car forward...aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!...right on my bl**dy foot, these things are bl**dy heavy.:'(

russell_ram
13-09-02, 08:56 AM
Simon,

well done mate, on the home stretch now. I found during my build, though, that a RAM drives perfectly well without seats/windscreen/belts etc etc - but only to the end of the road and back. :) :) (but several times, on several occassions).

What day you going to Donnington? I'm there Sat I think.

Russ

maxGD059
13-09-02, 02:59 PM
Sadly there seems to be a lot of 'no gain without pain' when it comes around to building Cobras. I think we all have some 'muppetries' along those lines.
Hop your foot's OK

Cheers

Richard
(It'll only be a 5 minute job)-sorry the pun was accidental-at first

Dutch Paul
13-09-02, 06:59 PM
...rolled the car back.... ?????????

Why not drive it back ???????