PDA

View Full Version : Chevy rebuild costs

donut
28-06-05, 04:32 PM
Hi

I am intereste in getting a chevy 350 engine and with the help of my Dad (thanx Dad!) rebuilding it for my Sumo. Engines usually go for arround 3-500 quid but how much would you estimate the cost for me to rebuild the engine from top to bottom? I will probably keep it std except for polishing the heads and faster road cams. I intend replacing valves, springs guides etc.

Also has anyone used www.americanv8engines.co.uk as they are selling used engines for a reasonable price. What are they like for delivery, reliability for supplying new parts etc.

Thanks

Andy

cobrakid
28-06-05, 05:01 PM
Hi Andy

if you have the 350 block i know a guy who could re-build it less than 3500!
he does a turnkey engine (everything new) including block for about that or less, im not sure!

if you need any more details let me know

cheers

Ja

donut
28-06-05, 05:16 PM
Cheers but for now i think we would rather have a go at re building as finances allow.

Purple AK
28-06-05, 10:09 PM
For a standard rebuild kit, you can't go far wrong here ;) http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=380 Option to upgrade included :thumb:

donut
28-06-05, 10:24 PM
Yeah that looks like a nice kit of parts, i'll keep that sire in my favorites!

Cheers

Andy

Goldie
29-06-05, 09:06 AM
Andy,
American V8 Engines (Adrian) supplied me with a block. Absolute top guy... I replaced virtually everything for 1800 and that included brand new full heads and brand new pistons and rods...

Take those away an the cost would have been like 1200..

donut
29-06-05, 01:38 PM
Goldie

I see you have a muncie gearbox. What's it like? There is one very near me on ebay for 200 quid and it's a close ratio jobby that from what i have heard from the chaps at pilgrim sounds like good for acceloration but not good for crusing. I would prefer a cruising gearbox to be honest. just wondered what you thought.

Andy

Goldie
29-06-05, 05:09 PM
The gearbox has not actually been run yet by me as I am still in my build. I understand that it has much respect for doing this sort of stuff..

In one of my earlier threads, Dave responded with some stats about the Muncie and speeds available from it in each gear...

Cheers

Carl..