PDA

View Full Version : Security Issues !!!

luke
30-06-05, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

Planning the build of my Cobra but i am having security issues, i am making my way through a car is born, i've noticed there are no actual locks on the doors. How are you supposed to keep the car secure without a hardtop. My question is can you fit a remote central locking along with a hardtop, for security which you can encorperate an alarm in, oh without drilling holes in the door for keyholes .
This may sound like a stupid question but i have to ask it, is it possible to do away with the heater and install a reaped Air conditioning unit into the space, as i will use a hardtop most of the time.

Thanks for your devoted time

Luke

dodger
30-06-05, 10:40 PM
Depending on how far you want to go you can go for:-

A Thatcham II imobiliser, to cut out the ignition & fuel pump or starter.
A Tracker system to locate the car if it goes missing.
A quick release steering wheel.
A shut off valve in the fuel line.
You can also add additional cut outs to the ignition etc.
When you leave the car anywhere make sure you keep it in your field of vision to minimise the risk of scum damaging it.
Keep it in a very secure garage, preferably alarmed when not in use.
This all sounds a bit paranoid but believe me if it stands out it is a target for damage or theft in this day & age.

gareth08
30-06-05, 11:00 PM
as Roger says damage caused by mindless scum :whatever: is hard to do anything about except not let the car out of your sight.
With regards to security apart from fitting the obvious thats about all you can do.
Personally I have the usual security and I do leave my car parked as I would my tin top mainly because anyone who would try to nick it is probably going to have a nasty shock when they actually try to drive one and also it is not the sort of car that you can,

A) blend into the background in
B)They would have a hell of a lot of trouble selling it as a car

and finally,

even if they nicked it for spares there is a a good chance that someone would eventually find out who done it as the parts would only be any good to a Cobra builder/owner and most of these people are not IMO that way inclined.

Regards
Gareth

cobraite
30-06-05, 11:20 PM
I've just got my DaX Cobra and had to fit a tracker just to get it insured for its full value. I don't trust the tracker farther than I can throw it as it someone wants to steal your car they will always find a way - hot wire it and drive it into a steel truck (read Faraday cage) will stop any tracker system signal being detected. So you put an inmobiliser on it too. Well Cobra's must be one of the easier cars to get to the electrics and start the car whatever the alarm is if you know what your doing. Yet why is the insurance on these cars so low? Simply because people dont steal them as they stand out like a sore thumb. Most people have photo records of engine and body build and no two Cobra's seem exactly alike. Also having an active club like the CRC means that if yours did get stolen you'd have a couple of thousand enthusiasts helping you find it. Could the same be said about a Porsche or Ferrari. No these are easier targets and hence much much more to insure. Don't worry too much about security or you'll never end up owning your dream car.
Andrew :o

h8jse
01-07-05, 09:43 AM
Luke

As per my previous thread (see attcachment) it won't stop it getting nicked but its a sure way of putting the thieving gits off!

As previously mentioned by Gareth the thieves couldn't really blend into the background in a Cobra and they would have a hell of a lot of trouble selling it as a car. I don't know what percentage of Cobra's that have gone missing but I can only presume very little. All of the people I've seen looking at a Cobra whilst its parked up with no roof on seem to admire the car rather than look at it in a way that would tell you they are going to nick it or cause damage to it.

Jason

route66
01-07-05, 12:02 PM
I've just got my DaX Cobra and had to fit a tracker just to get it insured for its full value. I don't trust the tracker farther than I can throw it as it someone wants to steal your car they will always find a way - hot wire it and drive it into a steel truck (read Faraday cage) will stop any tracker system signal being detected. ..........Andrew :o

Tracker have recovered a large number of cars over the last few years from within steel 20' shipping containers from the quayside at Felixstowe container port.

So it would appear that the Tracker system does penetrate a steel wall - most cars, after all, are steel and the unit is normally hidden within the bowels of the vehicle.

Steve

AndrewMarshall
01-07-05, 01:25 PM
Steve,
i'm just going on what the tracker installer said and given that the tracker receives a satellite signal and also sends a mobile phone signal if activated then it needs to be able to penetrate thin steel if installed in a normal car. But i guess the steel on an artic is much thicker and stops/reduces the signal further. There are also not many places to put a tracker in a cobra - normal cars have false panels and so on but not mine!
Andrew

AndrewMarshall
01-07-05, 01:27 PM
Maybe the tracker guys hide out at Felixstow and other major ports with extra sensitive equipment?

dave.n
01-07-05, 01:27 PM
Luke
I was sat next to Den Tanner in a pub chatting on this subject a couple of years ago. He said in the last 15yrs (now 17yrs) there had only been two reports of Cobras being stolen. One turned out to be an insurance scam and the other a disgruntled employee at a garage took one home for the weekend (or similar, I have no solid evidence this was a pub chat).
Yes I do worry about my car and wouldn't park it in a stupid place. In my view if I had to worry about the car too much I'd never drive it.
If a joy-rider took it and managed to work out how to start it in the first place I doubt if he'd make the end of the road, and then a corner (ouch).
These are highly personalised cars and easily recognisable. Not exactly a car to be stolen to order.
Just my thoughts

luke
01-07-05, 02:27 PM
Thanks i'll try the recommended security devices to deter the B******s, but what about the air conditioning unit, is it possible to use this instead of a heater.
Thanks

luke
01-07-05, 02:34 PM
Den Tanner is he still the managing director of Pilgrim, he's featured on a car is born, it's just when i go to school without the hardtop i could get the car stolen, or the inside ruined and good bye no claims bonus.
Thanks anyway

gareth08
01-07-05, 08:57 PM
No.
Tony Holmes no owns Pilgrim.He bought it from DT about 3 years ago now,

Gareth

Miket
01-07-05, 09:37 PM
it's just when i go to school without the hardtop i could get the car stolen, or the inside ruined and good bye no claims bonus.
Thanks anyway

Do I feel a wind up here or am I just an old cynic. :( :confused:

ti
01-07-05, 10:23 PM
Off subject i know-But are you going to Branscombe MikeT ?

If so i will see you there,as i am booked to cover the event for local paper !

So will try and get some exposure for South West Cobra Club ! :thumb: :thumb:

Miket
01-07-05, 10:28 PM
Hi Terry

Yes there are a few of us booked in, I don't know how many untill our mothly meet on Sunday, why don't you come down for a chat. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SimonP
01-07-05, 11:32 PM
Do I feel a wind up here or am I just an old cynic. :( :confused:

Ever heard of teachers?

GPS trackers - yes, these do usually work inside steel containers. You'd think they wouldn't, but we use some at work just for the time signal(!) and found that they do work reliably inside a steel container. We used to use "Rugby MSF" time signal receivers on the outside of these containers, but with those being such a low frequency, the steel usually knackered the signal.

Think about this:
Toerag breaks in to an older tintop, pulls the bonnet (and maybe boot) release and guesses which circuits have been "immobilised", then bypasses them, fights the steering lock and drives off.

Now think of a cobra with a similar immobiliser:
Toerag simply opens the door.
Toerag cannot release the bonnet (without severe damage) to put a false-feed on the coil, as the bonnet has two independent locks.
Toerag cannot release the boot (without severe damage) to put a false feed on the electric fuel pump as the boot has an independent lock.

Even if toerag did manage to open the bonnet, start the car and drive off, they would not be able to close the bonnet - it would lift at about 50mph and be level with the top of the windscreen at about 70mph. Somehow I don't think they'd be getting very far.

That's why they steal keys these days.

The beauty of any kit car is that it is unique. The immobilisers will all be fitted a different way. Different people will build in diffrent additional security. They are the sort of car you cannot "learn" how to steal.

Simon.

Purple AK
01-07-05, 11:45 PM
In the unlikely event that you leave the Cob unattended for any length of time!! How many Toerags carry a full selection of rotor arms with them?? Or a Kinglead ;)

dave.n
02-07-05, 12:38 AM
Or a battery cut out

Or spare underpants

luke
02-07-05, 12:49 PM
Thanks alot, Mike T i'm in Sixth form doing A levels, not everyone leaves school at 16, i still call it school Lots to think about thanks alot guys.