PDA

View Full Version : LT77 Gearbox & Chevy?

donut
04-07-05, 05:10 PM
Hi

Will an LT77 gearbox fit a Chevy 350? If not are there ways to make it fit?

Ta

Andy

grandadboats
04-07-05, 05:12 PM
Hi

Will an LT77 gearbox fit a Chevy 350? If not are there ways to make it fit?

Ta

Andy
To quote johnny cash A little bit of help from an a dapter kit!

donut
04-07-05, 05:22 PM
Any idea who makes the adapter kit?

Miket
04-07-05, 05:31 PM
Your better off looking for a Getrag box from a Jag XJ or BMW 5 and 7 series, they will withstand more torque/power.

Ken at AK makes the adapter plates for these boxes. :thumb: :thumb:

donut
04-07-05, 05:34 PM
Sweeeeet, that sounds the ticket!!

cheers

Andy

adricar2
04-07-05, 08:41 PM
i also make and stock getrag adaptor plates and kits.

donut
04-07-05, 10:58 PM
Adrian

I like the sound of the BMW unit but there seen to be different ones. Which one would you recommend? Would i need a remote? There seems to 3 different types of BMW gearbox. One with removable bellhousing, one without removable bellhousing and off set. Which is best and from what car? Also where does the adaptor plate go? Inbetween the gearbox &bellhousing or bellhousing and chevy 350?

Thankx in advance

Andy

Miket
04-07-05, 11:03 PM
Its the one with the removable bellhousing from any 5 or 7 series :thumb: :thumb:

The adapter goes between the gearbox and Chevy bellhousing

adricar2
05-07-05, 06:27 AM
mike

cheers mike you beat me too it

donut
05-07-05, 07:17 AM
So a gearbox even from a 2 litre 5 series wil do (providing the bell housing is removable?

Also will a dog leg box be ok?

Sorry for all the daft questions but this is all new to me as i'm only used to type 9 Ford gearbox's.

Thanks very very much

Andy

Miket
05-07-05, 10:22 AM
So a gearbox even from a 2 litre 5 series wil do (providing the bell housing is removable?

Sorry for all the daft questions but this is all new to me as i'm only used to type 9 Ford gearbox's.

Thanks very very much

Andy

Andy

Mine is from a 7 series, I don't know if the one from a 2 litre will be as strong, perhaps someone on here will answer that, if not perhaps a quick call to your local BMW dealers.

Again I was advised about not using the dog leg box, it was over 3 years ago and I can't remember what the reason was.

They are not daft questions, we have all been there, better to get it right the first time, this is the advantage of this form, wish I had found it before I built my first Sumo. :thumb: :thumb:

Miket
05-07-05, 10:29 AM
Andy

Just found this thread, might be of some help. :thumb: :thumb:

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4570&highlight=bmw+gearboxes

P.S Don't go on the prices, the thread was from 2002

donut
05-07-05, 10:35 AM
Hi Mike

Thanks that thread and your advice is very helpful. I now know what to look out for :thumb:

Cheers and i owe you a beer :D

Miket
05-07-05, 10:49 AM
Andy

Enclosed picture which shows bellhousing and Getrag box with adapter in between. :thumb: :thumb:

donut
05-07-05, 10:57 AM
WOW..looks awesome! Is the gearstick in it's orig place or dod you have to make a remote?

Miket
05-07-05, 11:04 AM
Its in its original place, the remote came with it, I just had to make a bracket to support the rear of the remote as it's hinged where it meets the gearbox

I think the remote on a 5 series is fixed solid, so it doesn't need the extra bracket at the rear.

P.S
I have reversed the gearlever so its facing forward instead of backwards

dbonner
05-07-05, 04:33 PM

Thanks very very much

Andy

YES definitely I would like to know the answer to that question too, is it really any getrag gearbox from a 5 or 7 series? it sounds too good to be true. What period 5 or 7 series? the design has changed a lot over the years.

The answer would be very valuable to me as well.