PDA

View Full Version : Free My Stuck Clutch

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-05, 11:15 PM
Hey ppl

Ive asked this question before but was hoping someone has some other ideas for me to try. My cobra's clutch is well and truly stuck. Ive had numerous attempts at freeing it by jacking it up on the axel stands and starting it in gear and then slamming the breaks on, etc. Today i tried pulling the car with my mates 4x4 whilst it was in gear but still to no avail, i heard a thump noise and thought that was it but it was just the engine turning as it was being dragged about. The clutch itself appears to be working fine, i press the pedal and all the right parts move as they should, i was thinking that it could possibly be a lack of hydraulic oil in the system, so could this be preventing the friction plate from moving enough for me to change gear? Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions i might try before i have to give up and fork out to get it transported to a garage to sort it out.

Alaska Gray
07-07-05, 08:11 AM
Hi
warm engine start up in gear also try driveing up a steep hill and keep pumping
brake
regards Graham

glip
07-07-05, 06:17 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem earlier this year and the the axle stand and brake method didn't work for me either.

The way I got it to free up was by putting the car in reverse and then with one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake, trying to start the car - Had warmed the engine first and chocked the back wheels just in case.

It took a while to free it, but it did work eventually!!

Cheers

Geoff

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-05, 06:57 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i will give them a try this weekend, fingers crossed it works

mylesdw
07-07-05, 08:28 PM
Put the rear on axle stands, start and run in 2nd or 3rd gear, press hard on all 3 pedals at once.

JonnyT
07-07-05, 09:40 PM
I'm with alaska gray - My family have had lots of problems over the years with stuck clutches and by far the best way of dealing with it in my experience is to warm the engine, start in first gear on a piece of flat ground and then drive around with the clutch disengaged, lots of revs and dipping the brake. There is normally a large bang when it comes out. I am just not convinced by the whole axle stand thing - seems to me like so many things could se easily and so horribly wrong!!!

JonnyT
07-07-05, 09:58 PM
I'm with alaska gray - My family have had lots of problems over the years with stuck clutches and by far the best way of dealing with it in my experience is to warm the engine, start in first gear on a piece of flat ground and then drive around with the clutch disengaged, lots of revs and dipping the brake. There is normally a large bang when it comes out. I am just not convinced by the whole axle stand thing - seems to me like so many things could se easily and so horribly wrong!!!

neil still building it
08-07-05, 08:33 AM
hi speedy have youmanaged to gain access with the blade of a screw driver ,if you can get to the friction plate and give it a 'little tap'it usually easily frees it ....i've done this on mini's FORDS(the worst for getting stuck !!-how about over a weekend sitting!!.... DOH!)
i know on my s/h bellhousing there are numerous 'additions' -holes for setting clutch throw out ,freeing stuck clutches..! only small holes but enough....!...it will almost certainly free up your clutch friction plate as its the surface area of grip ,that gives the rust enough 'purchase 'to over come your best efforts to free it .
if you can get to it this way it'll take a little tap to free it i'm sure .also any damage to the clutch plate is minimal ...after all ,all that jerking around trying to shock it free can't do it much good either now can it!! poor splines.........
good luck ,if you need positions to make the relevent holes drop me a note (they're only small holes so not going to weaken your bell housing significantly..)
NEIL