PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good Machine Shop?

Andy302
08-07-05, 06:56 AM
Ive found one locally to me and am going to have a look tonight, but their prices are high. Anyone know a good shop with nice prices. I am however resigned to the fact that you get what you pay for as this was the only one I could find that could say "Yes, we can do those weve got three in at the moment!! Plus they have a good reputation.

Heres what Im being asked to Pay by South Cerney Engineering, all apart from total ex. VAT

Block Chemical Clean £50
Descale £75
Rebore Block +0.30 £144
Install cam bearings £48
Block & cap crack test £50.00
Deck reface £125.00
Clean before return £25.00
Install pistons to rods Check rod trueness £60.00£
Total Block£677.98
BalancingBalance of rotating assy. £250.00
Total Shop Expenditure inc VAT £971.73 :mad:

That dents the budget!! :angry:
Cheers

craggle
08-07-05, 09:03 AM
Hi Andy

What engine are we talking about here?

Might be worth trying to get prices for exchange short engines from various places or speak to one of the big engine re-manufacturing people. RPI if its Rover. Re-power, Real Steel, Engine Factory, British american Engines Etc if it an american engine. These people probably get so many machined they either do it themselves or have a very good rate with local machine shops.

Craig.

oglyoodoo
08-07-05, 09:30 AM
I had some work carried out by South Cerney Engineering a couple of years ago. They did a really good job and were very helpful. Even took me around the place and showed me some of the restoration work they were doing including a new Cylinder head for some exotic car the were making from a bare casting. This place isn't (or wasn't) just a run of the mill machine shop. I would have no hesitations recommending them. Does cost a bit though..

Denis

Andy302
08-07-05, 04:39 PM
Craig,
Itsa Ford 302 and I want to use my block as its right for emissions and well, it mine!

Denis,
Thats exactly just what Ive found, very friendly and keen to talk about what you need doing. They also had some really exotic stuff in including a couple of aero engines being converted for use in cars. I think its going to be money well spent, just inside the door there were about 5 289's, now I thought those were rare, now I know why they are all at South Cerney!! After the chemical clean and acid clean the castings look like new.

Thanks for the opinions guys.:thumb:

Pictus
08-07-05, 04:45 PM
that price sounds very good if they crak test the block i dont think i can find a machine shop down here that will crack test

Warren

Almac
08-07-05, 06:59 PM
Andy,

Zebedee and Powney have recently moved their engineering department to Porte Marsh Industrial Estate in Calne. They've been doing this sort of work for years and I believe they have a good reputation. Never used them myself but might be worth a quote for comparison.

By the way, got the engine started for the first time a couple of weeks back. No manifolds yet so it is loud!!! If you do come down to see Z&P, the offer's still open to call round.

Cheers

Alan

Andy302
08-07-05, 07:59 PM
Alan,

That name rings a bell, did they used to be in the Swindon area?

Cheers for the offer, Ill ring them and ask for a quote and if competitive Ill pop over and see them and maybe you at the same time.

Cheers

Clarkson
08-07-05, 08:36 PM
It would be cheaper to buy a short block from the US with a stroker kit fitted!

march717
08-07-05, 11:28 PM
Good machining makes the motor and if you want it done properly take it to south cerney

simon
09-07-05, 11:36 AM
I guess you can have it done cheaply OR properly...it's your decision.

Simon

Andy302
09-07-05, 12:35 PM
Ive concluded that a job well done is better than a few quid in my pocket, so its off to South Cerney! Ive spoken to the balancer directly so that will save 50+VAT as Im taking the bits there directly instead of paying SC to transport the 10 miles or so!

Cheers