PDA

View Full Version : Engine start.

tony
20-09-02, 05:23 PM
Hi

After 6 hrs and two wrong connections I got the engine (rover 3.5)running at 4.30 pm today.Spent all day with multi-meter trying to track down a problem that was my own fault,two simple wires connected wrong.
Swapped wires over and it litterally fired up first crank, sounds absolutely bloody marvelous through the sidepipes.
Oil pressure steady at just under 30psi from cold I think this is ok. anyone confirm?
Timing set at 6 degrees btdc again could anyone advise on this setting?
She ticks over nice and gently and I`m now a very happy builder, worth 6 hrs just to hear it :) :)

Off to the pub.

Cheers. Tony.

maxGD059
20-09-02, 05:43 PM
Well done Tony
What's all this going to the pub at 5.23pm though? Especially not allowed as I'm still at work pretending to do something!!!
Its a great moment though & the moral boost is huge. The timing seems OK for now although you will want to advance it when your on the road for ultimate power - probably 10-12 degrees would be fine. Oil pressure OK aswell which doesnt seem to be too critical with the Rover.
Have a good w/e playing

Cheers

Richard

(It'll only be a 5 minute job)

VinceGledhill
20-09-02, 09:08 PM
Hi Tony. As Richard says oil preassure is OK with the rover V8. You've done well. A look through the archives on here will show you that I spent two three days getting mine going. I had got the timing 180 degrees out and had only a couple of not so good batteries... and a little charger... trying times...

Keep at it. The jobs get more monotonous from here on in and you sometimes feel like there's no end in sight. Just keep doing one job at a time and you will get there.

Great milestone.

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

tony
20-09-02, 10:56 PM
Vince
Back from pub. Engine still sounds wonderfull although I can now see 3 of them!!

Had the timing out by 180 degrees initially but I remembered the same problem with the previous build so had a good look through Mr Haynes and managed to line up Dizzy ok on 2nd attempt.

The incorrect wiring was down to the two wires either side of the live feed to the starter solenoid, swapped them around and all was well.

Working in the horticultural area I have a nice battery with 750 amps cranking power from one of my tractors.Spins the engine really well, just got to decide whether it`s going to fit ok in the boot.
Thanks for the words of encouragement it`s good to know other folk have had simillar probs.

Tony.

tony
20-09-02, 11:05 PM
Richard

Good thing about starting work at 6am is the 2pm finish.
Gives plenty of time to work on building before wife comes home at 6.30.
Also allows plenty of time to visit the "local" for the odd celebration,downside being double vision by 7pm ;-)
And dubious spell checking.
Seriously, I`ve put in about 120 hrs so far and it`s all been worth it for 5 mins of engine running.

Tony.

TINKA
20-09-02, 11:59 PM
Great to hear that all was well in the end .Hopefully if all is well I am going to have a go at starting mine 3.9 RV8 so hopefully I will get to hear that same fantastic roar .Good to see you at Donnington at the AK stand Hope you have got the servo problem sorted.Best of luck with the rest of your build and again well done Martin

TINKA
22-09-02, 12:37 AM
Hi Tony had a good day today my engine started virtually first time ( I didn't expect that ) anyway I have put the body on now and will post some pictures incase you are interested because I have had the remote gear shifter Shortened and I think this has put the gear stick in a much better position see what you think . I will try and post the pictures tomorro I mean later.How to do it is in Snake Torque edition 67 but Hawk cars now do the conversion 50 + vat to cut and weld the remote casting and supply the bit that goes on the selector shaft .Bargin I think the as the ability to select gears is just as easy now as before . Se what you think though Martin

tony
22-09-02, 01:44 AM
Martin

Glad to hear your engine started well, it`s certainly very satisfying.
I hadn`t given any thought to the gear remote so will be interested to see the conversion, how much further forward does it move it?
As for the servo no luck yet I`m afraid,I thought the master cylinder would cause me the biggest headache but I managed to get a new one quite easily, I may have to impose on Ken to see if he can track one down for me.

Tony.

Ps. Have you decided to buy that flip top fuel cap yet ;-)

VinceGledhill
24-09-02, 08:30 AM
Hi Martin.

I've not had mine altered and it seems fine when driving. Once the dashboard is finished, won't you hit it with your nuckles?

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

TINKA
24-09-02, 09:25 AM
No there is still pleanty of room in front .Have you had to bend your gearstick forward, that I felt was the other option but persionally I hate to see the gear stick bent like that. I have seen some with them bent at various shows and decided straight away that that was not for me.
Martin

tony
24-09-02, 02:15 PM
Martin.

Have hopefully found a servo, all the measurements sound ok to fit the master cylinder, should arrive tomorrow so will check it and let you know.
I shall have to sit in the chasis and look at the gearlever position and decide whether I need to alter it.
Be carefull with the fuel cap as far as I know Autobrass seem to be the only ones rounded off for sva.(someone will no doubt prove me wrong)

Tony.

TINKA
07-11-02, 08:17 PM
Sorry about the delay but I hope the pictures are with this not, very good with the old computer. I'm not sure if you can see clearly or not but the lump hammer is where the gear stick would have been which is I think too far back .With the remote shortened it is nearly level with the steering wheel and in a lot more comftorable position. I know Ken doesn't reckon it's neccesary but if you are going to be driveing the car a lot you might as well get it how you like it. I did know someone with a servo will try and find his number tomorrow and find out if he still has it.
I am going to get the fliptop fuel cap but I think i might shop about a bit mere before i spend that much money
Martin