PDA

View Full Version : Noise, Noise, Noise

v8robert
09-07-05, 06:26 PM
Terrible day today. All hyped up about going to Bedford Autodrome for a track day to thrash the cob. After one warning i tried my best to ease off near the microphones however to no avail. I was sent home with my tail between my legs :-( . I was reading above 105dB despite attempting to ease off near the microphones.

One track day & £200 down the plug hole, not to mention the foul mood i have been in all day :angry:

I will not change my exhaust note so it looks like only unsilenced track days for me from now on. Noise pollution my ****, the roar of the v8 as it thunders along is one of the most appealing aspects of having a cob, so if there are any noise pollution environmentalists reading this :finger:

Just a thread to make you aware that when it says a noise limit it means a noise limit, doh!!!!!!

Scabaters

wilf
09-07-05, 09:10 PM
My car is not exactly quiet, but Donnington was not bothered by it a couple of years ago for evening track sessions, and they supposedly had a 103 dBA limit. Could be worth a try.

hawk289
09-07-05, 11:27 PM
I also know some track events will let you run if you agree not to max rev the engine. Out of interest was it Bedford Autodrome that had the limit or the company who set-up the event. Did they not give you a chance to resolve the issue?.

I'm currently building another Hawk, with Daytona Exhausts the dBA limit is my big concern, but I need to see what it is when I finish.

John.

COBRA KEV01
10-07-05, 12:35 AM
Terrible day today. All hyped up about going to Bedford Autodrome for a track day to thrash the cob. After one warning i tried my best to ease off near the microphones however to no avail. I was sent home with my tail between my legs :-( . I was reading above 105dB despite attempting to ease off near the microphones.

One track day & £200 down the plug hole, not to mention the foul mood i have been in all day :angry:

I will not change my exhaust note so it looks like only unsilenced track days for me from now on. Noise pollution my ****, the roar of the v8 as it thunders along is one of the most appealing aspects of having a cob, so if there are any noise pollution environmentalists reading this :finger:

Just a thread to make you aware that when it says a noise limit it means a noise limit, doh!!!!!!

Scabaters

Maybe you should change your v8 to a nice little pinto engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osgood
10-07-05, 09:17 AM

ScabatersRobert it may well be worth having something made up for the day which will just clamp onto your tail pipes. I have seen all sorts of devices with flappers on, even coke tins with a small hole in. Osgood:thumb:

dinosoar
10-07-05, 09:27 AM
I presume you have underfloor system as it is a GD?
It is possible to fit a pair of additional boxes onto the tail pipes.
Use a diameter to slide inside the tailpipe, fit silencer and use springs to attach.
easy to fit should anyone moan about the noise but otherwise leave them off just in case.

The last track session i did had a 105db limit. I know i am over that but nobody complained. I fact quite the opposite, they wanted to hear the roar!

Andy

Antony
10-07-05, 10:25 AM
I agree with you on noise of a nice V8 engine!
Here in NZ I went to a track some years ago when the noise thing was really being pushed and my Cobra had Supertrapps on each side pipe, and on the backoff from the main straight it apparently went over 95dba yes 95dba is our pathetic limit and this is away out in the country because one person complained, who lives about 1/4 mile away. This has cost the Timaru Car Club about a half a million dollars to fight, since then they have a lot of trees around the track.

Currently in Auckland NZ the speedway is having trouble with noise and they wanted 85dba and the cars wont run properly, since then the Government has give the these people (the protesters) a grant of about $33000 to fight it because they are private people and they are fighting a registered business the Speedway Association.

Having said all that we have classic meets with international interest at Ruapuna Christchurch, where they close a blind eye to noise levels.

I can actually have a noisier car on the road than the track, as long as I dont operate it in a noisey manner! Hell it p***** me off, noise polution greeny **holes, wanting a pure environment, but attacking the easiest targets the now anti-social use of a motor car.

Dutch Paul
10-07-05, 10:33 AM
Don`t you realise how all these polluting decibels are eating through the ozone layer? :angry: :angry: :angry:

FFS If people don`t like noise they shouldn`t choose to live next to a racetrack - simple, isn`t it :confused: :confused:

I think we`ve been here before :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

v8robert
10-07-05, 02:48 PM
It does amuse me that peolpe buy homes near a race track and complain re the noise. I can only see this as a positive selling point !

Grease Monkey
10-07-05, 03:35 PM
So Rob,

What on earth have you done to your GD system to get it up to 105+ ? You've not been a bad boy and removed the rear silencers have you?

v8robert
10-07-05, 03:49 PM
Silencers are in place however 3" end pipes with the LS6 does shake the foundations at high revs. Apparently i wake up the flat above on the ground floor of my apartment building every morning !
Ho hum

Does anyone know of a bolt on silencer for such occasions ?
Cheers

Ps well done Rob on your recent adventure. another tick on the long list of 'to dos' in life

Grease Monkey
10-07-05, 07:14 PM
Should have tried harder to stop the 'mesh and wadding' you must have used to get it past the SVA from falling out after the test :rolleyes:

mylesdw
10-07-05, 09:08 PM
V8Robert: I got turfed off Castle Combe years ago for the same reason BUT the organisers did not hesitate in refunding my money when I asked. Have you tried? 200 quid is a lot to lose.

snake_bitten
11-07-05, 07:17 AM
on the subject of complaining about noise the article I read about someone buying a house in a village and then complaining about the bells in the church and successfully getting them stopped.

worked in the city during the week and was only there at weekend..........................NOW THAT IS TAKING THE P155:whatever: :whatever:

pat b
11-07-05, 08:52 AM
I also know some track events will let you run if you agree not to max rev the engine. .

John.
How does that work then.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes:.PAT:D

Andy S
11-07-05, 10:45 AM
Rob I have read of and seen once some tail pipe units on underslungs specifically for track days, they just clamp on and reduse Db to acceptable levels. Just had a quick look and page 256 of Demon Tweaks catalogue, bottom of the page item 12 should solve your problem.Clamp on Universal Supertrappp Silencers start from £37.22 and just clamp to the tail pipe.

Miket
11-07-05, 01:31 PM
Like these. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

skid
11-07-05, 03:23 PM
I also know some track events will let you run if you agree not to max rev the engine. Out of interest was it Bedford Autodrome that had the limit or the company who set-up the event. Did they not give you a chance to resolve the issue?.

I'm currently building another Hawk, with Daytona Exhausts the dBA limit is my big concern, but I need to see what it is when I finish.

John.

John and others, if you actually know of tracks or the appropriate operating companies who are more lenient can you actually post their details!!!

Even if you do get your money back it's still a waste of fuel and time plus dashed hopes to make a treck to possibly see if you can get through. I got measured at 113 db at Goodwood on my Dax and was very cheesed off (whilst perversely getting excited at being the loudest thing there by a very long way! ;))

So spill the beans and let us all join in if you know of a track with a sensible approach to noise.

Cheers
Mark

Andy S
11-07-05, 06:23 PM
Mike, similar but they now come in much smaller sizes like this

http://www.demon-tweeks.com/resources/images/thumb/MSD344-1705.jpg (http://www.demon-tweeks.com/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=MSD344-1705&GRP=MP095&PGRP=M006&CLS=MSPORT&code=MSD344-1705&from=search)

Miket
11-07-05, 06:42 PM
Yes

Just like that, so small you can't see them. :confused: :confused: :confused::rolleyes:

Grease Monkey
11-07-05, 06:51 PM
Reading the small print there may be a problem with the items suggested by Andy..

Power and engine capacity limit per unit is 100bhp or 1500cc.

Andy S
11-07-05, 07:03 PM
Yep the smaller ones are, but they go up to 400bhp per unit as well for£64.70 so if you have 2 pipes you could, depending on output get away with the middle units at 250bhp per unit, £53.81 each

v8robert
11-07-05, 07:32 PM
Good thinking batman :thumb:

Might go for the 400 bhp x2 silencers as you never know where the stupidity may end :D

Off to Spa 11-12/10/05 with bookatrack if anyone's interested. Should be blinding fun - no noise limit ! Oh yeah, and it being one of the best circuits in the world

Cheers
Rob

Andy S
11-07-05, 07:53 PM
Mike your eye sight must be failing you, click on the photo and there they will be larger than life.... dear oh dear what are we going to do with you... should have gone to specsavers me thinks....

dinosoar
12-07-05, 08:39 AM
Hi,

Snetterton seem to pretty lenient on the noise thing. I have nevr had any trouble there.
Also has one of the longest straights in the country.
Just thought. I could provide stabling, workshop facilities and B&B at our farm in Bressingham (IP22 2AP) for anyone who might fancy tracking at Snetterton (about 10 miles)

Andy S

David Large
12-07-05, 01:31 PM
on the subject of complaining about noise the article I read about someone buying a house in a village and then complaining about the bells in the church and successfully getting them stopped.

worked in the city during the week and was only there at weekend..........................NOW THAT IS TAKING THE P155:whatever: :whatever:

This sort of thing is happeneing a lot. People go and live next to a church that has had bells for say 200 years, complain to the environmental elf people and the church has to either stop using the bells or spend a lot of money on "in tower sound control systems". Appalling...particularly for those of us who ring bells!