PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Engineering

cobraman
23-02-01, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone!...I'm new to the forum,but not to the CRC!....I just wanted to share My recent experiences with Keystone Engineering with Everyone.
I was doing the usual"ring round"to get the best price for an Eddlebrock inlet manifold,inadvertantly lost track of some prices and rang this company back to check the price....WELL!!...You would have thought I was asking for the keys to his HOUSE!..They were downright RUDE!...Complaining at having to look in the catalogue and give a price out TWICE!..Oh!..how the british worker has to toil!!...AVOID THEM!...(If their engineering reflects their level of courtesy)

dave
27-02-01, 10:28 PM
HA, HA, HA, I'VE DEALT WITH MIKE HUDDART OF KEYSTONE ENGINEERING ON A NUMBER OF OCCASIONS AND IN THE EARLY DAYS SWORE TO MYSELF THAT I WOULD NEVER DEAL WITH HIM AGAIN BUT,AS A PRO. KIT BUILDER WHEN REAL STEEL RUN OUT OF BITS AND HE IS ON MY DOOR STEP I AM NOT LEFT WITH MUCH CHOICE. HAVING SAID THAT AFTER AROUND A DOZEN VISITS I HAVE GOTTEN USED TO HIM AND HE NOW TREATS ME QUITE NORMAL .
IN MY OPINION MIKE HUDDART IS NOT A PEOPLE PERSON BUT HE IS A WIZARD WITH TUNING AMERICAN ENGINES , NOT ESPECIALLY FOR ROAD CARS BUT OUT AND OUT RACE CARS
AND BOATS .IF YOU WANT A GENUIN 550 BHP SBCHEVY GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY AND THEN WATCH HIM RUN IT UP ON HIS DYNO.
THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM HIS BIGGEST FAN
DAVE

JP
02-06-01, 08:39 AM
Hi

Has anyone bought an engine from these people?

If so please advise what your experience was, good or bad.

I dont care if they are lacking in interpersonal skills so long as they can put an engine together and are reliable.

Comments Please

JP

dave
02-06-01, 11:22 PM
if you tell him its for a kit car he will probably tell you shop elswhere.
you have been warned... having said that , good luck if you don't have his
phone number it's 01270 811427
Dave.

James
03-06-01, 08:51 AM
Hi Cobraman

Where did you find the best price for an Edelbrock Manifold

I am looking at upgrading to a Performer Manifold and 500 Carb

Many Thanks

Happy Balstin

Regards

James :-):-):-)

Bob
03-06-01, 10:05 AM
If you are looking for one to suit a rover V8 500 cfm points in that direction then RPI did a good package price and they will jet to suit your engine included in that price.It wsa 395 this included every thing you need gaskets cables thermostat housing etc.RpI 01603 891209.At the time it actually worked out cheaper than a Holly and all the bits you need.

cobraman
03-06-01, 06:01 PM
James....Thats an easy one!....Summit engineering,in the states...They are a joy to deal with...cheap and efficient...Visit...www.summitracing.com ...You can see how good they are by their website!!...Even with transatlantic postage they're still cheaper than the rip off prices over here!..p.s....they have a GREAT technical dept. ONLINE at that website..If you require any assistance in choice..>DJ

imported_admin
05-06-01, 09:18 PM
I've currently got a Chevvy 305 with Mike Huddart for a rebuild.It will be going in my Gardner Douglas 427 as the first power plant whilst I get hold of something a bit more aggressive.I first met Mike some thirteen years or so ago
when he was HUDDART Racing and had a unit at Winsford.To say that the sights that were on view then in that workshop were incredible would be an understatement.Classics,historical and muscle cars were everywhere.A more organised efficient workshop would be hard to find and Mike certainly talked the talk and did the walk in those days.Anyone visiting the farm where Mike now lives, who did'nt know him of old could be forgiven for thinking they were perhaps dealing with a Basil Fawlty type character but I am content in my knowledge that I will end up with a superbly built engine built by a man who knows his craft inside and out.

imported_admin
05-06-01, 09:41 PM
Dave
Nice to hear from someone who is cobra minded who is local to Audlem.
Drop me a line and tell me what you are up to I am based halfway between Nantwich and Crewe.

Regards
Nigel

dave
07-06-01, 10:34 PM
GIVE ME A CALL, I'M BASED IN WINTERLEY BETWEEN CREWE AND SANDBACH, WELL
AT LEAST THATS WHERE MY WORKSHOP IS I HAVE A DAX THAT I AM BUILDING AT THE MOMENT FOR A CUSTOMER , CHAOS AT THE MOMENT AS I AM WRITING THE CAR IS IN THE PAINT SHOP AND ITS GOT TO BE AT SHREWSBURY S.V.A. STATION FOR 08:00 ON SAT SHOULD BE COLLECTING IT IN THE MORNING THEN A MAD DAY AND POSS NIGHT OF TRIM FITTING ,MANIFOLD MAKING ,SIDEPIPE FITTING ,BRIGHTWORK FITTING,LIGHTS,ROAD TESTING ETC. ETC. ANYHOW RING ME ON 07785 702005

DAVE

imported_admin
10-06-01, 03:11 PM
Hi All,

I have used Mike Huddart when it used to be Huddart engineering, I found Mike to be a man who know's what he is talking about when it comes to American V8 engines, tuning, building etc. The investment in engineering equipment and workshop facilities I found impressive for a one man outfit.

I found him to be straight talking and honest, if he thought a part that you wanted was overpriced, bad quality or just no good he would say so. Normally he would offer an alternative that was usually cheaper and often made by the same manufacturer.

The big problem for the small operators like Mike is that it is uneconomic to import single items for custoners, normally you would have to wait for the part to be included in a monthly shipment.

Mike did an execellent job on my SBC taking it from a 327 to 383, he did the machining work, tested the block, Balancing etc. I did the final assembly myself and I am really pleased with the job and the price.

For a lot of other items I have used Summit Racing and/or Jegs, I would say that Summit are the most efficient and it is unusual for them not to have a part in stock. Summit are really good for Aeroquip as it is approx a third of the UK price compared to UK suppliers. I have had stuff delivered in 3-4 working day's and you can monitor it's progress to the UK via the UPS website (cool stuff). You need to remember to add the cost of shipment and VAT to the catalogue price, also the exchange rate. (crap at the moment).

The big problem with shipping direct from the US is when you get it wrong, return shipping cost usually mean it isn't worth sending it back. So does anybody want to buy an unused a Howe hydraulic throwout bearing to suit a tilton type clutch or a Holley 6 piston mechanical race pump unused for SBC.

Regards Chris

JP
10-06-01, 09:10 PM
Thanks Guys

I've been to see Mike, found him to be a straight talking bloke who to me appears to know his stuff. Very matter of fact bloke informed me that he built the engines for the 1st and 2nd place cars at the Rockingham opening event.

I've decided to give him my cash so he can rebuild a turnkey Ford 351W with about 350bhp.

Oh and if you go to see him, Beware of the Dog !!!

JP

Adrian
11-06-01, 08:43 PM
Nigel,
I too am half way between Crewe and Nantwich, I'm starting on a Pilgrim in the next couple of weeks.
Got a Rover V8 in bits in the garage and all the suspension, just wating to go and pick up the chassis.

I now Crewe was the Centre of the Known Universe but I didn't realise there where so many Cobra builders here.