PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter July 2005

route66
12-07-05, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

Most of us were overseas at Le Mans for June痴 meet. However, Ian Catchpole held the fort at the Seal in Woodbridge, with his freshly completed, SVA tested and registered Sumo. Congratulations Ian. Now that the summer is here, I知 sure you値l be putting plenty of miles on the clock!

As mentioned above, our annual convoy to France for the Le Mans 24 Hours was again a success, marred only by a rain shower on the way there, a tyre blow-out, a leaking sump and a temperamental clutch slave cylinder. The gang, as usual, ate healthily, drank plenty of fluids and took adequate protection from the 35oC plus temperatures. That translated means; they ate barbequed food, drank a large amount of beer and wine and ended up in a 20 euro pool on Sunday afternoon after the race just to keep cool!

Plans are already in hand for 2006. An additional event next year is the biannual Le Mans Classic (Goodwood Revival on steroids). We should have a good sized contingent for that event as well.

Looking ahead to September, Don Fleming has asked us to move the annual Treasure Hunt / Road Run / BBQ at his Norfolk Mead Hotel forward a week to Sunday September 11th. Please mark it in your diary now.

Also, a number of entries have been requested for the Helmingham Festival of Classics and Sportscars on August 7th. Hopefully we値l have a good showing of our cars.

This month, on Thursday July 28th, is the RAF Marham Families Day. Those that have requested entries have had their details forwarded to the organisers.

Also, our East Anglian Region has now received a formal invitation for the RAF Marham Track Days on October 1st and 2nd. The organisers aim to run from about 1300-1700 hours on Saturday and 0900-1200 and 1300-1600 hours on Sunday. Prices are likely to be 」30-」40 for the Saturday only and 」60 for the Sunday. Helmet, fire extinguisher and normal seat belts are required.
The aim on both days will be for sessions lasting about 20 minutes (so 3 sessions in each hour) divided into 3 groupings based on experience/car performance. That should mean a minimum of 4 sessions for each group on the Saturday and a minimum of 6 sessions on the Sunday.
There will be an open (i.e. uncovered) paddock and a parking area for non-participating vehicles with adjacent buildings providing cover, event control, plenty of refreshments, loos etc. For those wishing to camp overnight, they may try to arrange a good deal with a local site.
What I do need now is some firm details of those that wish to participate and those assisting. The details I will need to meet site entry requirements are (this is an operational military base)

Full name, address, date and place of birth of all participants and any others attending as "helpers".
Vehicle details - Make/Type, colour and registration number of participating vehicle(s), and of any support vehicles.
Without these details in advance, access will not be permitted on the day.

For those who have not already done so, please e-mail this information to me NOW.

For this month痴 Sunday meet, we had planned to attend the Lowestoft Classic Vehicle Show. However, my request for entry details must have fallen upon deaf ears (apart from a few) so I assume there is no interest in this and next months Lowestoft events.
Therefore, we can fall back on the 喪un to a pub format. So, on Sunday 17th July we can have a trip to the seaside. As the weather forecast looks to be favourable, how about we meet in Wickham Market village square (just off the A12 10 miles north of Ipswich) at 11:30 and then run to Aldeburgh on the coast. We can park at the northern end of the sea front and then visit one of the local pubs, say, the Cross Keys, for about 12:00.
If you decide that you want to drive directly to the pub and meet us there, we値l meet from 12:00 as normal.

Here痴 the list of East Anglian meets for 2005.

August 21st Norfolk TBA
September 11th East Norfolk Coltishall CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
October 16th East Suffolk meet in Stowmarket, run to Pin Mill, Shotley.
November 20th West Norfolk meet in Long Stratton, run towards Attleborough area.
December 18th West Suffolk meet in Hadleigh, run to the Crown, Ardleigh.

Plus local (and no so local) car events for 2005
July 28th RAF Marham Families Day, nr Kings Lynn, Norfolk
August 7th Cobra Replica Club national event at Rockingham Circuit, Corby, Northants
August 7th - Helmingham Festival of Classics and Sportscars, Helmingham, Suffolk
August 12th to 14th Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring, Germany
August 13th to 14th - Great Northern Kit Car Show, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
August 28th NASC Street Rod Nationals, Suffolk Showground, Ipswich, Suffolk
August 29th Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
August 29th Colchester Lions Club Vehicle Show, Colchester, Essex
Sept 16th to 18th Revival Meeting, Goodwood, West Sussex
Oct 1st to 2nd Track Day, RAF Marham, nr Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Oct 15th to 16th - The National Kit & Performance Car Show, Castle Donington, Derbys.
Nov 19th to 20th Great Western Kit Car Show, Exeter, Devon

Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.

Bye for now, Eileen

Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at "route66@pgen.net"