PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody please explain

Resik
26-07-05, 09:48 AM
Hello,

my English is not very well and that´s why I am asking me to explain what this mean :

The Boss 260 engine simply doesn’t have enough low-down grunt to pull the tall ‘cruise’ gears.

More info : Its strong torque means plenty of low-down grunt for pulling payloads of up to 1,800 pounds or towing up to 7,150 pounds.

What is low-down grunt ?

Kind regards,

Rocco Jansen
The Netheralnds

tony c
26-07-05, 09:59 AM
It's what Lance Armstrong has when he is cycling uphill at 50km/ph

wilf
26-07-05, 01:55 PM
Rocco - the quotes are really meaningless, as the suitability of the characteristics of an engine's performance depends on the vehicle it is fitted into, its gearing and weight etc.

"Boss" engines were indeed built to rev, and breath better at high rpms. They would have had less torque at lower rpms than "non-Boss" engines.

In a heavy US car like a Mustang, this would make a big difference, unless it had a really short rear end ratio (numerically high ratio, allowing the engine to rev).

Quite what the towing thing is about is beyond me.

In any case "low down grunt" means torque produced at low rpms, and an engine that makes a lot of torque at low revs is not usually going to be one that revs high as well. Unless it is supercharged, of course.

FMAN
26-07-05, 07:18 PM
If you have been reading the article that I think you were, what they are trying to say is that the XR8 does not have enough low end torque to comfortably drive in 6th gear. So when you want to accelerate/go up hills you might have to change down a gear.

Neil

Resik
27-07-05, 08:00 AM
Thanks for helping me out.

Kind regards,

Rocco Jansen

mikey
27-07-05, 08:09 AM
Ignore all the speculation above.

Its what the wife does in bed on a saturday morning when you have to tell her for the second time to get the tea and Sunday Mirror - or Financial Times if you are Rob.