PDA

View Full Version : Vipers

kevchard
29-07-05, 09:59 PM
Hi Rob
Did you ever think any more about putting a tech grouping on for Vipers?
As us 'proper' cobra owners / builders know, there is only 1 cobra to have :p .
I for one feel excluded as we don't have a proper place to live away from you wannabees :-( .
It would also give you a good place to ostracise (god knows how you spell that) OSGOOD ;) (said in jest Eric).
One final sentiment, V6's are better than V8's so there.
Cheers, and i will wait for the onslaught of abuse :finger:

TINKA
29-07-05, 10:02 PM
Beginning to think you had a point :rolleyes: then you went and made a complete joke of the hole thing with the :angry: V6 joke :finger: :finger: :D

And you were doing so well :whatever:

Miket
29-07-05, 10:10 PM
I love to go to a show where Vipers are present, especially when I have forgotten my fold up chair, the front arches make loverly seats. :D :thumb:

Suppose you could have a forum, headed, anybody without a proper engine post here. :( :D :thumb:

P.S Big Edit, suppose that could include Tinka now. :finger: :D :thumb:

kevchard
29-07-05, 10:11 PM
I'm quite happy with my all ford vehicle. There is possibly another convert to the cossie world of V6's.
When and if i ever finish ours, we will give you gas guzzlers a run for yer money :)

kevchard
29-07-05, 10:19 PM
[quote:1a6354b4ca="Miket"]I love to go to a show where Vipers are present, especially when I have forgotten my fold up chair, the front arches make loverly seats. :D :thumb:

Suppose you could have a forum, headed, anybody without a proper engine post here. :( :D

Ah Mike, no one can sit on yours at shows, cos it is never sunny enough for you to get it out of storage :finger: .
Regarding inferior V8's, everyone knows it is not cubic inches that count, it is the using what you have that counts :finger:
Just you wait, when the immortal day comes when ours is running, we will be barrelling roud the paignton roads with the ass end coming loose cos of the crappy designed solid cortina rear axle, V6 engine emmitting what can only be described as a delictible sound, when one of you lot turn up with a lumpy sounding V8 thing.:rolleyes:

TINKA
29-07-05, 11:22 PM
"Just you wait, when the immortal day comes when ours is running, we will be barrelling round the paignton roads with the ass end coming loose cos of the crappy designed solid cortina rear axle,"

Sorry Kev but it is not just the design of the Axle :angel:

osgood
30-07-05, 07:51 AM
Whooo Martin easy now nothing wrong with my rear end:rolleyes: And Mike I am quite happy with my seats mate:mad: at least my rear end ain't whining:p. Right on a serious note I think out of all the kits around technical help is needed more re Viper than any other, so having a Viper section is a good idea:thumb: Osgood.

TINKA
30-07-05, 04:52 PM
Whooo Martin easy now nothing wrong with my rear end:rolleyes: And Mike I am quite happy with my seats mate:mad: at least my rear end ain't whining:p. Right on a serious note I think out of all the kits around technical help is needed more re Viper than any other, so having a Viper section is a good idea:thumb: Osgood.

On a serious note, after seeing all that Iain has gone through I would have to agree. But it should be limited for cars with at least 7 or more cylinders :p :p

kevchard
30-07-05, 05:48 PM
On a serious note, after seeing all that Iain has gone through I would have to agree. But it should be limited for cars with at least 7 or more cylinders :p :p

When you say at least 6 or more, do you mean more than 6, or at least 6?:p .
I cannot believe the grammar of people today.
All vipers are equal to each other, whereas all other cobras are inferior to the mighty styling that is the Viper :finger: .

How many viper owners are there on here these days? I know of Iain, steamy_rotter, ceejay, Lazyboy, honourable_pickle and us. Sorry if i have left anyone off. I don't know if Doughy_Giro's was bought by a cc member?
Cheers

v8robert
30-07-05, 05:57 PM
For those of you beleiving that a v6 is better than a v8 i am willing to come around with the white van and have you sectioned for 28 days under the mental health act. Don't think i won't do it, it just takes me, my friend the psychiatrist and an approved social worker. You will fit right in, i promise :D

Dr Rob :thumb:

Ricky
30-07-05, 06:04 PM
rob, do you know what a v8 is??:p :p :D

v8robert
30-07-05, 06:06 PM
Ricky - you've just made the list :finger:

Ricky
30-07-05, 06:10 PM
oi im only 16 if you get caught trying to puch me in a back of a van with lots of other doctors people might think differntley of you rob:D :D :finger:

oi how am i gunna be nice to you from now and till spa......:-( :-(

v8robert
30-07-05, 06:16 PM
Laugh it up chav, I have the power to do this, the child and adolescent health team will be expecting you if you keep this up :D :finger:

Purple AK
30-07-05, 06:16 PM
For those of you beleiving that a v6 is better than a v8 i am willing to come around with the white van and have you sectioned for 28 days under the mental health act. Don't think i won't do it, it just takes me, my friend the psychiatrist and an approved social worker. You will fit right in, i promise :D

Dr Rob :thumb:
Rob.
Do you offer this as a general service? As just at the moment it would be useful :D ;) :rolleyes:

Ricky
30-07-05, 06:21 PM
Laugh it up chav, I have the power to do this, the child and adolescent health team will be expecting you if you keep this up :D :finger:

im NOT a chav:-( :-(

v8robert
30-07-05, 06:26 PM
Chris

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement, PM me and we can discuss my fee.
There's a fine line between madness and sanity, its all about choosing the right time to act sane

Rob :thumb:

Miket
30-07-05, 06:40 PM
im NOT a chav:-( :-(

Yes your right you aint a chav, 7.37pm on a Saturday evening, they will be all pi***d out of there heads, yet you are here on the computer. :confused: ;) :finger:

Before you say anything, yes I know I am, but I've been there and done that and have the liver to prove it. :thumb: :D

Ricky
30-07-05, 06:51 PM
Yes your right you aint a chav, 7.37pm on a Saturday evening, they will be all pi***d out of there heads, yet you are here on the computer. :confused: ;) :finger:

Before you say anything, yes I know I am, but I've been there and done that and have the liver to prove it. :thumb: :D

yer i know i should really be in mac donalds car park listening to a millon watt cd player:p

neaver got into the boyracer seen... rob introduced me to the cobra when i was about 11 been stuck on them ever since!!a saxo with a silly bodykit(usally around 60bhp) and loud cdplayer dos'nt appeal to me....

mike im going out at 9 :D i think us youths are going out later and later....

best regards :thumb:

jeff
30-07-05, 09:23 PM
The scary thing is my old Robin Hood with 2.1 ltr and 4 cylinders is quicker than the new Cobra is going to be with 3.5 litres and eight cylinders and it stuck to the road like sh*t on a shovel.

It also cost 6 grand less.

must be mad

jeff

Clarkson
30-07-05, 09:50 PM
Rob, Is the chav your son or your shadow??

steamyrotter
30-07-05, 10:01 PM
Just to throw my two penneth into the melted pot..... because TRYING to build a viper thats all I have left!!!!!!!!

A dedicated forum would be a good idea.

I may have the same chassis as Kev but I am forcing the V8 in there.

Now kev, if you really want to put the cat amongst the pidgeons don't fit them side pipes.....

Underslung is the way to go:thumb:

Light blue touch paper and stand well back................:p

kevchard
30-07-05, 10:04 PM
"Rob, Is the chav your son or your shadow??"

I recon rob and ricky are the same person. After all rob says that he has links to shrinks etc, perhaps it is not cos he is dr Rob, more like patient Rob in the local physhe unit!!!!!!!

I agree with the sentiment of the pinto in the RH. We had exactly the same setup in our RH, before we went for the cob. The cob seemed a good idea 2 years ago when we flogged the S7, 2 years on still with the cob not on the road perhaps i am not sane after all :-(

Tinka you sneaky person, you are using your position to 'touch up' posts. It orinally said 6 cylinders, censorship strikes again :finger:

kevchard
30-07-05, 10:06 PM
Now kev, if you really want to put the cat amongst the pidgeons don't fit them side pipes.....

.[/quote:1a756b500f]

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... .!!!!!!!:finger: Don't make me set the Donaster massiv on ur ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steamyrotter
30-07-05, 10:09 PM
now now

was not aimed at you particularly.
Seeing you haven't an exhaust yet you could go the right way.........:-}

v8robert
30-07-05, 10:27 PM
Doen't really matter whether i'm Ricky or Rob. If you have the opinion that v6 is better than v8 then you deserve 28 days in the asylum

Don't respond to this thread unless you you concede that v8 is better than v6. Not that this is nec a measure of the car but how many :finger: supercars are v6... snorrr...

kevchard
30-07-05, 10:31 PM
TVRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my cobra, so there!!!!!! And a GT40 at last years Exeter kit car show (granada cossie engine)

v8robert
30-07-05, 10:38 PM
Point proven ... not, TVR my ****... i will not waste my time on a thread where people have delusions of grandeur re a v6 over a v8. you obviously understand nothing about owning a racing car, see you on the track.. beeach

xx

kevchard
30-07-05, 10:40 PM
kiss my furry v6 ****. Some of us are individuals that go for what we want, as apposed to following the crowd and getting a yank tank.

v8robert
30-07-05, 10:49 PM
I agree with the need to be independent, i don't agree with being wrong ! :finger: Please don't post a reply back because there is nothing that you can say to proove a v6 is better than a v8, as Carol Shelby said 'its all about cc's' this is the wrong forum for you tvr/porche boys :finger:

It's not about show its about substance, however judging from your previous posts re v6....ha.ha.ha !
Snorr
:finger:

kevchard
30-07-05, 10:57 PM
Stuck in a traffic jam, or 30mph through town, does it matter if you have a fuel guzzling tank that i cannot afford to run, or a semi practical V6 that looks exactly the same from the outside.
I'll cu at the petrol station, except i will be there less often and be able to spend the money i have saved on better things.
I don't believe in building a vehicle that can only come out sundays and track days, these things are to be driven for enjoyment as much as possible. So to me stupidly sized V8's are a complete waste of time. Nothing YOU say will persuade me otherwise.
I think we will agree to disagree.

steamyrotter
30-07-05, 11:04 PM
as Carol Shelby said 'its all about cc's' this is the wrong forum for you tvr/porche boys :finger:

BUt he didn't say over how many cylinders that was though!!!!

tarmacscratcher
30-07-05, 11:42 PM
"looks exactly the same from the outside"...............put sounds like pants..;)

kevchard
30-07-05, 11:51 PM
"looks exactly the same from the outside"...............put sounds like pants..;)

What do pants sound like??????:p . And dont say V6's.
My pants do have various tones, resonances, but all that depends on my diet.
If anyone has taken offence to my comments, they were meant in fun. After all how the hell am i going to win a 'v6 is better than v8' on a predomanantly V8 site.
Now if i said flat fours are the only sensible route then that would make sense.;)
I still dont want to detract from my original posting, and that was a Viper tech section.

tarmacscratcher
30-07-05, 11:58 PM
maybe we should invent a flat 8...hmmm......two porsche or subaru engines..with turbos of course..sure there's plenty of room in cob.........:)

osgood
31-07-05, 09:53 AM
On a serious note, after seeing all that Iain has gone through I would have to agree. But it should be limited for cars with at least 7 or more cylinders :p :pMartin I think they should all be included as there is probably more combinations of four & six pack out there than Jag based V8's not to mention the selections of Cortina / Seirra / Granada based. :rolleyes: Osgood:)

kevchard
31-07-05, 03:52 PM
Martin I think they should all be included as there is probably more combinations of four & six pack out there than Jag based V8's not to mention the selections of Cortina / Seirra / Granada based. :rolleyes: Osgood:)

Well if you are going to let four cylinder machines in i am not entering, only joking.
Valid point osgood, any awkward viper should be welcome, after all if you let only non awkward ones in, no one would go the the forum) :rolleyes: .
Spent most of today making a remote oil filter bracket. I am sure one day, even the smallest of jobs won't take a complete day :o .

osgood
31-07-05, 04:16 PM

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... .!!!!!!!:finger: Don't make me set the Donaster massiv on ur ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote:3bec0439d0]Fraid not mate I am known as Captain Viper and I can assure anyone bulding a Viper V6 V8 or 4 fit side pipes balance pipe or not:) Osgood P/S underslung on the Viper whatever engine is a load of pants, take it from one who has been there over the last 6 years;)

kevchard
31-07-05, 05:38 PM
Osgood P/S underslung on the Viper whatever engine is a load of pants, take it from one who has been there over the last 6 years;)[/quote:24be21cfd7]

Remember Steamy_Rotter, pleasant thoughts.
My ground clearance is limited by the sump. Sidepipes were ordered 5 months ago and still not arrived (that is why steamy_rotter made comment OSGOOD).
What amount of clearance have you got Eric? I don't have proper wheels/tyres or a flat floor yet, so i cant measure how low ours will be off the floor.

TINKA
31-07-05, 05:47 PM
Kev you have mail

osgood
31-07-05, 06:10 PM
Osgood P/S underslung on the Viper whatever engine is a load of pants, take it from one who has been there over the last 6 years;)

Remember Steamy_Rotter, pleasant thoughts.
My ground clearance is limited by the sump. Sidepipes were ordered 5 months ago and still not arrived (that is why steamy_rotter made comment OSGOOD).
What amount of clearance have you got Eric? I don't have proper wheels/tyres or a flat floor yet, so i cant measure how low ours will be off the floor.[/quote:6ab6587dd0]Kev joking appart I ran 4 years with different arrangements of underslung it does not work on the Viper, even on a steady dipp on the motorway the bloody system at the rear ground out pulling off the down pipes. There is no one on this site with more experience than me re Jaguar based Vipers take that as RED. I kept to underslung for all the reasons burning, noise etc. With the current system no heat and quieter by far, I was wrong with my original veiws on side pipes trust me:) :thumb: Osgood

kevchard
31-07-05, 07:01 PM
Steamy_Rotter and i both have cortina based beasts. I have ordered stainless sidepipes and manifolds, whereas Dean is making his up with underslungs.
Our Robin hood 7 was no good at speed with limited ground clearance. Sierra subframe used to drag on floor over humps and bumps. I remember doing some nice speeds (70mph obviously) down the 2 lane M18 and getting caught out by the undulating dips in the road, 1 dip was OK, but it was dodgy if car hadnt recovered from the previous one , and you got this nasty tarmac on metal scraping noise. Oh happy days when we had a driveable kit car :)
I am itching to start car up again, manifolds fitted or not (albeit 2 cylinders missing) :)

osgood
01-08-05, 10:58 AM
Kevin think my sump clearance is between 4-5" Attached picture shows the stainless plate under the oil cooler as it was getting ripped to pieces over these bl--dy humps also a point to think about re the Viper although Cheng Lim recons my ride hight is too high:rolleyes: ??? Eric.:) :thumb:

steamyrotter
01-08-05, 10:46 PM
Well the awful way I have done it means that nothing drops lower than the front subframe and the rear swing arm mountings.

I think there is circa 5 inch clearance, and as i drive like a fart it will never compress the suspension enough to even worry the things.......

That is of course if i ever get that far!!!!

As per the usual discussions there is a personal taste and note to how you build it or mount it, right or wrong, and everything has a learning curve.

Knowing the many pitfalls of exhausts and looked into many designs, is the main reason that i chose mild rather than stainless for the "first" system. I know it will get damaged and i know i can weld it up again.... The efficiency of the system can only be measured once the thing is running and i haven't got that far yet (although that should be soon).
Once the car is running, and before you say it scrapiing, then changes can be made. I haven't laid too much out on the exhaust that would make changes an expensive job.

With a Viper, made by who knows (and no one does), with no manual and no two cars the same then you have to start somewhere. the beauty being that inginuity brings out many different solutions to things. Who can say if it is right or wrong. Only i can find that out later.

Even if the system is pants, i have learnt a lot building, or bodging, it and know that i can change if i wish. I certainly know a lot more about how the thing goes together (and apart) than a lot of people know about their cars. (not aimed at anyone, except for someone i work with who got a kit car for someone else to do all the work on??)
I am building it, and stress the building it, not bolting it together (no offence meant just stating that mine is not a kit of parts designed to fit), I am also enjoying the skills i have had to develop to get it thus far. (I am also enjoying the club site and all the advise and banter therein. I live by the knowledge that if i don't know something, i know or can find someone who does.)
In the end it is in my hands to turn out a car that is pleasing to myself. I am not aiming for the full copy of the cobra, but a car that celebrates the cobra, and is to my taste. I just happen to have the Rv8 come with the chassis, which the chassis was not designed to take.. Work around it and end up with something that works.

V6 V8 inline/flat/twisted 4 what ever, I drive a straight 6 Turbo Diesel every day, but that is my choice. That is what makes the "kitcar" world attractive to all, the ability to built to your budget, skill and choice.

All of which has strayed off of the original point of this thread...

So Rob, Any chance of a Viper Forum please?

whinge/moan/bleat over...

kevchard
02-08-05, 07:16 AM
Here Here!!! Ever thought of being an after dinner speaker Dean?

jeff
02-08-05, 07:53 AM
well said Steamy thats what kit cars are all about, you must have built a Robin Hood as well

Miket
02-08-05, 08:51 AM
If you havn't built a Robin Hood, you aint lived life to the full. :mad: :mad: :D :thumb:

osgood
02-08-05, 01:28 PM
If you havn't built a Robin Hood, you aint lived life to the full. :mad: :mad: :D :thumb:

Mike I can just see you in that hee hee:D :D :D nearly built one of those myself but then I got the bug for better or worse Eric.

steamyrotter
02-08-05, 11:11 PM
well said Steamy thats what kit cars are all about, you must have built a Robin Hood as well

Strange story there!!!

Got all the bits sourced to do the "Build yourself a kitcar for less than £250" apart from the box section for the chassis, then got offered my Viper, rolling(ish) chassis, body, engine and misc bits for £500.(price dropped from £1500 within a fortnight!) Couldn't really say no could I?

Had the big advantage of the main welding had been done and i could develop my welding along the way.

Still plan to dabble that way since i have all the bits and it will be all scratch built. But only after i have got the viper on the road and in use. Having said that a tripple garage might be needed first!

steamyrotter
02-08-05, 11:12 PM
Here Here!!! Ever thought of being an after dinner speaker Dean?

Only if you are serving WAFFLES.....:D

:p

osgood
03-08-05, 07:09 AM
Steamy what sort of shape is the body in any pictures? Any reply from Robert then on a section for all Vipers? Osgood:angel:

steamyrotter
03-08-05, 11:03 PM
Eric

Not touched it yet apart from a prelim fitting to line up bits.
Something like this:-

No reply from Rob yet though?

Dean.

osgood
04-08-05, 08:20 AM
Steamy that looks in pretty good shape for a Viper body & well seasoned I guess. Have PM Robert about getting a section for Vipers no answer as yet Eric.

steamyrotter
04-08-05, 10:40 PM
A few scratches, some badly removed flashlines and a hole in the driver side weel arch
Still not bad for an 80/90's body (i believe its that old!?)

Other than that not too bad.
All doors, bonnet and boot there as well.
Hinges, instruments and some lighting (unfortunately not technically SVA compliant!)

kevchard
05-08-05, 07:25 AM
I have to say Dean, that body is in rather good shape (car one that is). I wonder how it has been stored.It even looks a nice colour.
Ours wasall 'crazed' even before i anaged to abuse it further (drove audi into wheel arch,amongst other accidents).
How well do doors and bonnet fit on yours (eg are they flush with equal gap), or do they look they are from a different model of car (like ours).
I have got a week off now as parents are coming up to stay.
Cheers

osgood
05-08-05, 07:41 AM
Steamy on the subject of flash lines take a look at mine :rolleyes: and some of these Viper bodies are worse! Oceans of filer will be needed to match up doors, boot lid and bonnet. Just to make you a happy boy when you have a running rolling braking chassis you are almost half way through;) Eric

Iain
05-08-05, 08:05 AM
There is a guy up in North Lincolnshire that is making a habit of sorting out the Viper body. He has done one so far and currently has another two on the go. :thumb:

This guy is interested in painting Cobras in general so if any Viper builders (or not for that matter) are looking to get their car painted then wait until you see the pics of mine before you make your decision.

With any luck, mine should be back in the garage sometime early in September.:thumb:

Miket
05-08-05, 09:40 AM
Steamy on the subject of flash lines take a look at mine :rolleyes: and some of these Viper bodies are worse! Oceans of filer will be needed to match up doors, boot lid and bonnet. Just to make you a happy boy when you have a running rolling braking chassis you are almost half way through;) Eric
Eric

I remember that middle picture from way back, good strong ladder chassis. :finger: ;) :D :thumb: :thumb:

kevchard
05-08-05, 12:09 PM
You're on form Mike. I can hear the jealousy in your comments :). If only AK's, GD's and Dax's were built to that standard :).

Miket
05-08-05, 12:38 PM
Kev

No bendy bodies by the doors on an AK, as they have a bonded inner tub and boot, best made body on the market . :finger: :D :thumb:

What am I doing posting on a Viper Forum :angry:

kevchard
05-08-05, 12:48 PM
[quote:c398b3eefb="Miket"]Kev

best made body on the market . :finger: :D :thumb:

I've seen your body (clothed) and i would have said it has seen better days ;) .

You are a viper wannabee, eric and i will let you join in if you behave (or in the case of eric, misbehave).

Cheers

osgood
05-08-05, 06:47 PM
Come on now guys we all know the Viper ladder frame chassis (Jaguar) is the strongest going even though its not currently being produced at present, as regards road holding there is nothing to match even the: OW God better not say that in case of a ban!!

The body on a Viper is Cr-pp but you have to over come these problems with an engineering mind if you have one. Osgood:angel:

steamyrotter
07-08-05, 11:18 PM
when you have a running rolling braking chassis you are almost half way through;) Eric

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I don't think i can go on any more.....

Think the engine needs a little work as there appears to be a little water coming out the left side exhaust on lumpy tick over (before it dies). (luckily i was going to strip the thing anyway)
Coupled with that the bleeding fuel pressure regulator regulates to atmospheric pressure now (Worked OK before) so needs gentle assistance from the mole grips on the return pipe to pressurise the injectors.

So new regulator to be fitted then try to up the pressure a bit..
Perhaps the "Ok for a 3.5 disco" pump isn't enough.
Looks like a newer higher pressure pump needed as well.

BLAST........

Oh well, Kev read the signature...
:thumb:

Doors seemed to fit alright as far as i can remember.
I think the body has been garaged for it's life so hasn't seen much sunlight.
It looks shiny in the pictures but isn't that good in the flesh.

Cheers

D.

kevchard
08-08-05, 08:00 AM
Hi Dean
Sorry to hear about the engine probs. Our life at the moment seems the opposite to yours at the mo, engine is running 'sweet as' but exhausts are still in the ether.
Congrats on getting your pipes done, have you got any pics of the finished articles?
Deafened dad yesterday, with engine running. First time it has run with altenator and fan belt connected. Although i made brackets to hold altenator all by eye, it seems to work a treat.
Hope things are straight forward with the engine rebuild. Failing that, at pickering steam fair, there were quite a few flymo engines that may suffce :)

steamyrotter
09-08-05, 05:57 PM
All in a days (months!) work.

Should be good for a laugh.:-}

Cheers

D.

osgood
09-08-05, 06:51 PM
Steamy, like the Quad outlet just showing off ehh! your chassis is nothing like the Jaguar based unit, but have fun! I went through hell and back building mine and I was supposed to know what I was doing:confused: OSGOOD:angel:

steamyrotter
09-08-05, 06:57 PM
just showing off ehh!:angel:

Au natural..:thumb:
Goes back to what i said earlier. Individual taste, more ground clearance, and won't work for toffee!!

Sounded good for the few seconds it ran.
new regulator on the way and many more jubilee clips..
water or not the thing will run for a bit longer......

It's cortina based (Until registered then the back end is going if it makes it that far!)

Eric, cant remember is yours 3.5 or higher??
Any idea how easy/difficult/worthwhile it is to mod up to 3.9??

Cheers

Dean.

:thumb:

osgood
09-08-05, 07:25 PM
Dean was 3:9 Ossilli which I built myself around 210+ bhp, have now 4:6 producing 256bhp@ the flywheel at 7,400 rpm built by me. There is a load of sh- talked about BHP on this site by many. I can hold off a 351 Chevy "Python" and 351 Cleveland "AK" with no sweat, but RV8 power don't come cheap. Current engine with self build £5,600, Now tell those tossers out there that RV8 is a cheap version:) Osgood:angel:

kevchard
09-08-05, 08:05 PM
Hi Dean
Your pipes do your chassis and your skill justice. They realy look to be worth the time you have spent on them. You still seem to have too many headers :)
What torque figures are you producing Eric?
Cheers
Kevin

kevchard
09-08-05, 08:07 PM
Where is your rear anti-roll bar Dean? It should run across the width of the rear axle.

steamyrotter
09-08-05, 09:07 PM
Kev

Cheers m8 Glad i've done em.

Anti roll bar hopefully in the garage, but think that was a front one!!

May be something on the 'to get list'..

Can you mail me a piccie to be sure

Cheers

Purple AK
09-08-05, 09:20 PM
Kev

Cheers m8 Glad i've done em.

Anti roll bar hopefully in the garage, but think that was a front one!!

May be something on the 'to get list'..

Can you mail me a piccie to be sure

Cheers
Dean.
If you cant find it! I have one lurking around ;)

steamyrotter
09-08-05, 09:47 PM
Chris

I may well take you up on that
Will have a look at the weekend and get back on that.

Cheers

D.

osgood
10-08-05, 10:07 AM
Kevin have attached 3 sheets from recent rolling road run. This rolling road takes up to 1300BHP and is the latest type machine, just enough for me ehh:rolleyes: ;) ! You can see one lot of figures is @ the rear wheels, the other sheet the machine works out the flywheel figure which is in my case through the drive train is a 20% + loss as a matter of interest. The other sheet shows the mixture level through the rev range. As you can see I was running weak so that has now been rectified and have added a slightly lighter spring on the secondary openings. All road indications are that there is some improvement but obviously only another run on the R/Road will give the answer:(

Considering the amount of money invested I was a little disappointed with the figures, I think the only way to move up to the 285+ mark is to go injection or multi carb but her in doors (management) has a tight grip on the purse strings right now:-( In answer to the original question 228ft per Lb @ 6,800 rpm at the flywheel before it tails off, jetted as it was then. Looking at that figure its pretty torquey all the way up and it does go well Eric:)

kevchard
10-08-05, 05:36 PM
At the end of the day, you make the vehicle you want to drive (and can afford to drive). I am not looking at spending silly money on tuning or running after it has been SVA'd. I want the viper as a daily driver during the sunny months (and also not so sunny months awel).
I think the person with the Beemer V8 has made a good compromise between V8 and running costs (sorry i cant remember who was it that was building the beemer cobra).
JMHOand not said to wind anybody up (just for once).
Cheers

osgood
10-08-05, 06:17 PM
Well that's right Kevin each to his own matey and build a car that suits you. Drove an AK this week-end with 351 Cleveland with quite some tune, did not like it at all! Due to the weight of the engine even tho the suspension has recently been set up it was a bl--dy nightmare, braking into and before a corner the car moves from side to side like a Donkey. I guess this is chassis flex and it certainly felt like it. I know AK present a good body but thats as far as it goes! The Cabin space as regards drivers door is NIL. I personally would not want to drive this car on a track day. Gear box took 3 days to change gear, reminded me of a V12 E-Type Jaguar I once had! Osgood:angel:

Purple AK
10-08-05, 06:51 PM
Eric.

I've not risen to the bait over the last couple of months. But i've a particually BAD DAY.

[quote:a4a82c8851="osgood"]Well that's right Kevin each to his own matey and build a car that suits you. Drove an AK this week-end with 351 Cleveland with quite some tune, did not like it at all! Due to the weight of the engine even tho the suspension has recently been set up it was a bl--dy nightmare, braking into and before a corner the car moves from side to side like a Donkey. I guess this is chassis flex and it certainly felt like it.
B*****ks

I know AK present a good body but thats as far as it goes! The Cabin space as regards drivers door is NIL.
Wideload?

I personally would not want to drive this car on a track day. Gear box took 3 days to change gear, reminded me of a V12 E-Type Jaguar I once had! Osgood:angel:
/QUOTE]

Eric. Get a life and STOP winding people up! You only portray yourself as the type of T****r you delight in calling others!

Ok. Rant Over.. I feel better now :angel:

Sorry if this offends anyone, But there is a limit to anyones patience :o

TINKA
10-08-05, 07:16 PM
Well that's right Kevin each to his own matey and build a car that suits you. Drove an AK this week-end with 351 Cleveland with quite some tune, did not like it at all! Due to the weight of the engine even tho the suspension has recently been set up it was a bl--dy nightmare, braking into and before a corner the car moves from side to side like a Donkey. I guess this is chassis flex and it certainly felt like it. I know AK present a good body but thats as far as it goes! The Cabin space as regards drivers door is NIL. I personally would not want to drive this car on a track day. Gear box took 3 days to change gear, reminded me of a V12 E-Type Jaguar I once had! Osgood:angel:

I see you are talking out of your A*** AGAIN Osgood. Have just changed from a RV8 to a 351W and the car drives far better with the extra weight, the brakes have much more feel to them and it rides the bumps far better than it used to. I know you are just trying to get a rise out of other people by the comments you are making in all your posts recently but you are now just coming across as a know it all who never makes mistakes and is so clever at everything you try. As we all are aware this is clearly not the case :finger:

osgood
10-08-05, 07:18 PM
Chris I am not sure what you are talking about, I am not Shark fishing or in your case Mackerel fishing. I was mearly replying to Kevins post. I just gave him staight facts re the driving an AK for some miles this week end re reference to different cars and there builders. Little touchey ant we??:) The AK drove like crapp and did not feel safe let me tell you!!! Maybe I am not used to a heavey engine but one thing is for sure I would not want to drive this car for many miles!

I take it as the norm you will now close this post well thats okay mate :) Eric.

Miket
10-08-05, 07:28 PM

If the car is as bad as you say, I would tell the owner to take a serious look at the suspension set-up, as the handling on my AK is spot on and goes into and round bends as though its on rails. :thumb:

Ak have now increased the cabin space by narrowing the tunnel and moving the seats further in, I find the driving position fine, cos I'm slim, not a fat bastard like you. :D :thumb:

Regarding the gear change, I would have thought that depends on the gearbox he has fitted, nothing to do with the quality of the kit

osgood
10-08-05, 07:31 PM
I see you are talking out of your A*** AGAIN Osgood. Have just changed from a RV8 to a 351W and the car drives far better with the extra weight, the brakes have much more feel to them and it rides the bumps far better than it used to. I know you are just trying to get a rise out of other people by the comments you are making in all your posts recently but you are now just coming across as a know it all who never makes mistakes and is so clever at everything you try. As we all are aware this is clearly not the case :finger:

OW God we have touched another nerve ending! Mr AK himself. yes but your RV8 never reached the figures you claim it did, so the new engine would feel relatively lively; is it actually on the road yet Martin???:) :rolleyes: As I said in the Viper post most on this site talk crap re BHP and I have posted my results to prove it. I am only 5 bhp behind a Chevy Python at the rear wheels but it was auto, loosing 25% + through the drive train.

Tinka Tailor Solider Sailor don't be a pr-tt all your life Osgood:angel:

kevchard
10-08-05, 07:35 PM
How do i stand with a heavy cast iron v6 :p ? Mind you it is quite easy to dry steer with donor 155 cortina wheels on :D .

Let's not bicker, each kit has it's own merit/perils and followers.

osgood
10-08-05, 07:44 PM
Mike I did not mention the quality of the kit I just gave my personell opinion of the drive in this particular AK, to Kevin in a Viper post in relation to different cars and the AK Bumble Bee's are out in force well that's okay come on down the price is RIGHT!!!!! The suspension has RECENTLY BEEN SET UP BY DARE I SAY IT CHENG LIM!! Say no more I as myself:) and I say is much improved but I dont like it at speed or slow but that's my opinoin. osgood:angel:

Miket
10-08-05, 08:42 PM
Mike I did not mention the quality of the kit I just gave my personell opinion of the drive in this particular AK, to Kevin in a Viper post in relation to different cars and the AK Bumble Bee's are out in force well that's okay come on down the price is RIGHT!!!!! The suspension has RECENTLY BEEN SET UP BY DARE I SAY IT CHENG LIM!! Say no more I as myself:) and I say is much improved but I dont like it at speed or slow but that's my opinoin. osgood:angel:

As said before, everybody to there own, it just so happens that you are used to driving a pudding and when you drive a proper Cobra it obviously doesn't feel right. :thumb:

osgood
11-08-05, 08:36 AM
Ahh Mike, another day another Dollar as they say:) Contrary to popular belief I am not taking the urine with every post I make and I certainly don't know it all so I guess thats out of the way as regards Martin & Chris. I was mealy sharing the view with Kevin that people tend to build cars to suit there own needs & feel, light or heavy lump etc. Also the particular vehicle I drove at the week end for the second time which is in A1 condition I was not happy with certain points for my own taste, this vehicle could have been a GD Kirkam,Dax, Magnum,Sumo, Viper, Crendon, Python etc etc. I was not having a go honest:o

Much the same as the guy who owns this car was less than happy with my set up when he drove it, sharp and positive & light feel. he did rate the smooth gear change though & my little bleeper on the indicators:) So as you say each to his own and what he is used too.

Eric:angel: :thumb:

CeeJay
12-08-05, 12:21 PM
Ah I see the battle of the who's got the best engine/kit rages on - can I throw in my 2p?
I own a Ducati 748 - the baby brother of the iconic 916 - and when launched it was described as 'not so much a case of less, as different...".

Can I suggest that this is the same with Cobra kits? It doesnt matter what's under the hood - whether its a 4 cylinder a, 6, 8, or even v12 derivitive engine! And the same is true for the type of kit - each has its own merits, its own 'personality' if u will. So can we leave the bickering back in the school playground? We're all damn lucky to own the car of our dreams so lets just enjoy that and help each other out!

:)
CeeJay.

Iain
12-08-05, 01:26 PM
My God! :eek:

Someone with an ounce of sense!:thumb:

Well said! :D

CeeJay
12-08-05, 02:11 PM
A compliment from a waving penguin - and the doctor said those anti-depressants, wouldn’t have a hallucinative effect!

Cheers Iain.

:)
CeeJay.