PDA

View Full Version : coil query

darren
02-08-05, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to sort out my engine (RV8) wiring and at the risk of sounding a little stupid I'm a bit stuck as to which way to go with regards to the coil. I've read on the forums that some people have gone for a 12v coil and no ballast resistor but - now this is where I even feel stupid - I don't really know what I got in the box of bits from the engine. I don't know the voltage of the coil (its too messed up to read anything on it) I assume that the large square piece secured with 2 bolts and with 3 spade connectors on either side is the amp??? Ballast resistor...god knows....I hope its the small component with a single yellow wire. Haynes manual is close to useless for this.

If anyone could help with either part numbers required or suppliers I'd be VERY grateful.

I promise I'm not a daft as I seem!! and the rest of the wiring is not a problem.

Darren. :confused:

jrv8
03-08-05, 04:01 PM
Hi,
This sounds like you have the Lucas OPUS system 35DE8, and the alloy plate with the 3 spades each end is the ballast resistor.

Connections to this are as follows:-
distributor plugs into the distributor end of the ballast reistor and the white/grn wire on this plug connects to the coil (+) . The white/black goes to the coil (-)

The other side of the ballast is wired as follows:-
Bottom terminal is spare
Middle one should be connected to an ignition switched +12v supply
Top one (marked start) should be connected to the aux spade terminal on the starter motor.
If you're still unclear please drop me a PM
Hope this helps
Jim

I'm trying to sort out my engine (RV8) wiring and at the risk of sounding a little stupid I'm a bit stuck as to which way to go with regards to the coil. I've read on the forums that some people have gone for a 12v coil and no ballast resistor but - now this is where I even feel stupid - I don't really know what I got in the box of bits from the engine. I don't know the voltage of the coil (its too messed up to read anything on it) I assume that the large square piece secured with 2 bolts and with 3 spade connectors on either side is the amp??? Ballast resistor...god knows....I hope its the small component with a single yellow wire. Haynes manual is close to useless for this.

If anyone could help with either part numbers required or suppliers I'd be VERY grateful.

I promise I'm not a daft as I seem!! and the rest of the wiring is not a problem.

Darren. :confused:

darren
04-08-05, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your help. Just as a matter of interest did you keep the original setup or go for 12v coil and bin the resistor - the forums I've read so far seem to be about 50/50.

Darren.

jrv8
04-08-05, 10:10 AM
Darren,
With the OPUS system , you're better to stick with the original as the ballast resistor is also used as a voltage dropper for the distributor electronics.
I have new coils, ballast resistors, and distributors in stock if you need one.
Jim.
JRV8
Tel 028 25861500

Thanks for your help. Just as a matter of interest did you keep the original setup or go for 12v coil and bin the resistor - the forums I've read so far seem to be about 50/50.

Darren.