PDA

View Full Version : Crotch Rocket - another addition to my toy box

Chimeara
03-08-05, 07:07 PM
Have finally relented to peer pressure and taken one step closer to my wooden box. Cobra was getting hot stuck in traffic today in town due to traffic congestion from the flower show so pulled up outside a bike shop as my mate is a keen biker. Before the fans had stopped I had booked up my test and put my name on a shiny new R6.

And yep you guessed it Blue with white stripy decals

Just what am I going to do with all that power between my legs.

Anthony

mike gowland
03-08-05, 08:25 PM
Have ridden and raced bikes for the last 25 years, and am currently the proud owner of an R1 and a GSXR 1000.:-}

The thought of you buying an R6 when you havent yet passed your test is just plain scary!:(

You dont get to make mistakes on two wheels!

I may sound like someones dad (I am) but you would be better off serving your apprenticeship on something less hardcore!:)

robert
03-08-05, 08:28 PM
I passed my test and bought a CBR600, 6 months later bought a Repsol CBR1000RR.

In my defence, I was without GD at the time and we having speed withdrawl. :D :D

mike gowland
03-08-05, 08:33 PM
clearly a man with flawed judgement, a blade and a GD!:thumb: (only joking):D

Clarkson
03-08-05, 08:45 PM
I bought a ZX7R for my 25th birthday and done a 5 day bike course, passed and then pick up my new bike! Happy days.
Given up bikes now,it's just too scarcy on the roads. Lost 3 good friends in bike acciedents. Be carefull!!:thumb:

route66
03-08-05, 09:08 PM
I sold my last motorcycle 10 years ago to fund building our Dax.

I have to admit I have no urge to get back on one in the near future. There's too many Volvo estates about nowadays. Plus the standard of car driving seems to have worsened.

Done that, ticked it off.

Steve

tarmacscratcher
03-08-05, 10:44 PM
motorcycling is the best way to travel.........you can keep your traffic jams....hahah. Good luck with your test.

westborne
04-08-05, 06:58 AM
Anthony do you ever actually go to work ?

pat b
04-08-05, 08:21 AM
Long time ago me and a mate bough of us having had big bikes whent out and bought brand new Honda C90's to do the knowledge on . And that is what you call SCARCY 3 years in central London day and night on a C90, my mate never finshed he got knocked off 4 times by London Cabs(now thats what you call keeping a closed shop):mad::mad::mad: Now you know why we have that look and drive that way(most of us still think the cab is the same size as the C90 when going for gaps):D:D:D PAT

mark_biddle
04-08-05, 10:19 AM
I have had a few bikes and had an R6 for a while. It was great fun, but you end up riding everywhere at warp factor 6 and that only ends in 2 ways ......... I bought a CB1300 last year and to be honest is much more fun. Round the lanes it is not that much slower, has bags more torque so you are not constantly banging around the gears, and if you want to ride slow with the missus on the back you can. Works for me, this is just my opinion though !

richc
04-08-05, 11:26 AM
Anybody want this one? I'm flogging it but haven't been updated to fully paid up yet so can't post in classifieds. It's a total one off with a chro-moly frame and VTR1000 engine, if anyone's interested I can give full spec etc:thumb:

Rich

richc
04-08-05, 11:30 AM
Attachment won't download:angry:

Rich

richc
04-08-05, 03:33 PM
Anybody want this one? I'm flogging it but haven't been updated to fully paid up yet so can't post in classifieds. It's a total one off with a chro-moly frame and VTR1000 engine, if anyone's interested I can give full spec etc:thumb:

Rich

dingocooke
04-08-05, 03:34 PM
Got to agree with Mike Gowland, you need 'learn' (as opposed to just passing direct access) on a smaller bike, say a 400 trail bike or a 500twin and you will be able to ride, rather than be frightened or intimidated by jusy hopping on a quick bike (even a 'little' R6 600cc is a stunning 160mph tool that could come in the top twenty at the TT out of the crate!).
Its a bit like letting a new driver loose in a 911 turbo or Ferrari F40 (except a modern big bike's got better power to weight ratio, and probably needs more skill and rider input at the same speeds as an equivalent car).
I've been riding bikes of every kind since I was 11 (so that's 33 years, oh dear, now Im depressed!!) and I don't believe enough experiece can be gained over an intercom on a 5 day course to give you a good chance of surviving on a quick bike, only my opinion, but be carefull!! (or pay for a short subscription to 'What Tombstone' magazine!!;) )

Enjoy!!

Steve:thumb:

tarmacscratcher
04-08-05, 03:54 PM
I agree ....passing the test is one thing.....learning to ride a bike is another. Get the test done but continue with the training with a good instructor. It's a very steep learning curve but don't be put off by it. Don't learn the hard way...from the school of hard knocks.

Andy S
04-08-05, 04:05 PM
Anthony once youve passed your test book a day up at Donnington. The bike tuition is I am told superb, given by GP riders etc and they use 600's.
As for everyone being amazed at you going for a 600 they do have short memories as you still are the youngest cobra builder/owner in the club etc etc.......

dingocooke
04-08-05, 04:20 PM
Hi Andy,

Not amazed; just wouldn't want the fella to be put off a really great pastime or hurt himself too much learning how good it is!!! Long term he'll enjoy it much more if he builds a better skill base on something less intimidating.
You're spot on about the track days at Donnington, the ones that Ron Haslam runs are ace. He has CB500 Honda twins for begining track day people (not neccesarily new riders), CBR600s for intermediates and CBR1000 (Blades) for regulars/experienced track day folk.
So even Ron would probably suggest starting out on something a bit more manageable; as he made his son Leon do, as you probably know Leon is doing quite well in British Superbikes after starting out on a scooter!
Mind you, I spent a few years in the seventies watching Ron fall off Mal Carters TZ700 at Darley Moor, so it's probably a classic case of 'do what I say not what I did'!!!!)

Regards as usual,

Steve:thumb:

FatBoy
04-08-05, 04:22 PM
I'm afraid I'm with Mike on this one. We may well have short memories, but when I learnt to ride a bike (about 20 years ago), you could ride up to 250cc on a provisional licence, so you could build up some experince before moving up to a bigger bike. Even then, and I had a 900 Ducati, an R6 would leave any of them for stone dead.
Unless you've ridden a modern "big" bike, you simply cannot appreciate how monumentally, mind bendingly fast they are. You can get into inescapable trouble in the blink of an eye. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from riding motorbikes, they're fantastic fun and a significant proportion of my fun memories are bike related. I just wouldn't want it to be an all too brief acquaintence.

Take very great care Anthony and ride on the basis that every other road user is out to kill you :thumb:

...and as one member's signature says "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly". :angel:

Paul

Chimeara
04-08-05, 04:50 PM
Chaps thanks for all of your concern, firstly Chris I rty not to work to much it is a pain in my social life tee hee.

I rode for three years from 16 to 19 started on a de restricted RS50 which blew up at 80mph, stan stevens tuned etc. Got an import RS125 then and played a few of the bigger bikes up as that pulled to 120 so am not actually that out of touch. I had a go on my mates R1 and GSX750 on a private track and loved them both but took a step back and going for the 600 as its smaller.

I had an off on the 125 after hitting a rock in the middle of a road and sent me a few hundred yards on my posteria but now after building the cobra my mates have been on for ages to get back into it so ive relented.

Should be passed by end of August so il keep you posted on the final outcome of bike choice as the 500 deposit is transferrable if I like something else at the time of purchase. Obviously I cant test ride the R6 or GSX600 until I pass the test.

Anthony

dingocooke
04-08-05, 04:58 PM
Hi Anthony,

My apologies, its sounds like you've served your apprenticeship!! Your original post did read like you'd just drove by a bike shop and thought 'I'm gonna get myself one of them motorbikes!' Hence the concern!!

Enjoy the R6, it'll be nearly as revvy as yer old 'prilla 125!!!

Steve:thumb: :thumb:

richc
04-08-05, 05:04 PM
Andy,

I say go for it, modern 600's are pretty tame as you still need to get the revs up to really fly. I've been building and riding bikes for 20+ yrs and you'll love it.

Other than other road users knocking you off, barrelling into a corner too fast is probably what could get you in trouble and that's just as easy to do on a 500 twin as a sports 600.

If you want a good laugh and to learn some really useful handling and throttle control, get a dirt bike. You can pick up a good used crosser for about 1500, thrash the nuts of it off road for a few months, til you pass your test, then flog it for the same price (I used to have a CR500 which was nuts!).

Enjoy

Rich

Chimeara
04-08-05, 05:06 PM
Thanks Andy I also did a bit on those dirt bikes before I started to drive and was quite handy to it, must admit I ventured through a few hedges and got a bit dirty but it was a good learning curve.

The RS125 was a great machine, especially my one, all my mates who had the same bike topped out at 90 and thought they had led front rims for some reason as I was the only one who could get wheelies in 1st through to 3rd on a hard acceleration best fun I ever had, it was just the sound that let it down.

What sucks is you have to do another theory for christ sake if you have done it for driving then what other purpose than to make money is another test going to do. Not to mention another CBT which I let lapse a couple years ago.

Anthony

fcukruss
04-08-05, 07:20 PM
heres my baby
doesnt get much use though due to "ah sunshine,bike or cobra??"
so hence its for sale
anyone interested?
russ

Chimeara
04-08-05, 07:56 PM
Looks like ive started up a biketrader, hope im not in any trouble with the mod's pardon the pun.

Anthony