PDA

View Full Version : Ford 302 advice

xrstyle
08-08-05, 11:23 AM
Hi all first post :thumb:

i'm after advice on the ford 302 v8, i'm planing on fitting one to my 1983 sierra xr4i (sadly its no cobra rep :( - maybe one day :D ) so first off apologies for invading your forum, but i just can't seem to find any Uk based forums (with activity) were people are actualy using this engine ;)

right i've got prices from "adricar2" for 302 cut outs and they seem very favourable so will most probably source my lump there :thumb:

I have a T5 gearbox from a sierra cosworth which after looking at a few internet sources i'm sure is up to the job, also the advantage of me using this box means i can use a cosworth prop saving me a few quid on a custom job.

My intention is to actualy get the cut out lump fitted to the car before i start to worry about engine rebuilding and power output(even though thats the fun part!)

Can anyone advise on what i would be best off using for actualy mating the gearbox to the engine? what will i need clutch/bellhousng/fork/starter/flyheel etc etc wise?

I have purchased a real steel catalogue and they do list a number of parts, but its not very explanitary and i've read dubous reports on there "technical" advice :confused:

also what engine would i be best getting? and early one or a later injection model?
I do want to go the carb route rather than injection to keep things simple. I would probably incorporate the current fuel pump setup and convert it using a pressure regulator (filter king or something like that) rather than use the mechanical pump on a carb'd motor. After reading the US sites the later engine looks much more favourable due to the roller cam and forged pistons, plus i would have the EFI gubbins if i did choose to go injection later on.

my apologies for the length of this post.

Any advice is much appreicated

TIA
Pete

TINKA
08-08-05, 05:34 PM
Hi xrstyle, as far as mating the gearbox to the engine you will need a ford bell housing for a 302,351 and then get yourself an adaptor plate made by someone like AK or I do believe Adrian does them, failing that a Lakewood shatter proof one would suit . The only thing is if the input shaft on the gearbox is not long enough then this will not work, as the input shaft must be long enough to reach through the bell housing and adaptor plate and still locate properly in the end of the crank shaft. Also as far as using the same prop is concerned you will only be able to do this if you can fit the engine far enough froward ( supposing the 302 and box setup is longer) and if they are heavier than the original setup this may upset the balance of the car as there is too much weight too far forward. Best thing to do is fit the engine and box in the best position poss with the gearstick in the right position and then hopefully just get your prop shortened. As far as older or newer engines go this will depend lot on how far you are going to go when rebuilding it. I bought an engine from Adrian earlier this year and replaced more or less everything except the block and the crank. With the exchange rate as it was it was so economical to just order everything in one go after carefully working out what I needed of course. Hope this helps. :D

craigh
08-08-05, 05:48 PM
certain 302s were real dogs in the power stakes due to the emissions laws,be carefull you dont end up with one,i did and spent a small fortune on parts re building it
real steel are ok and i found them quite helpfull but expensive, knowing what i do now i would use summit racing every time,parts are well priced and shipped within a week, and their techies are very helpfull

rich
08-08-05, 05:53 PM
Hi pete,
keep an eye out on Ebay.COM (US) for a bellhousing.
I found mine on there,'cheep as chips' and shipping costs arn't too bad :thumb:

some thing like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-FORD-MUSTANG-T5-BELLHOUSING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQitem Z7992081440QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Rich

TINKA
08-08-05, 05:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong :rolleyes: but I thought it was only the heads and cam they messed with to kill the power and sort out the emissions :confused:

TINKA
08-08-05, 05:55 PM
Hi pete,
keep an eye out on Ebay.COM (US) for a bell housing.
I found mine on there,'cheep as chips' and shipping costs aren't too bad :thumb:

some thing like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-FORD-MUSTANG-T5-BELLHOUSING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQitem Z7992081440QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Rich
But make sure it comes with a clutch release lever as they are as hard to find as rocking horse p**

Purple AK
08-08-05, 06:19 PM
Hi Pete.

Welcome :thumb: I Lost my XR4i in the Oct 2000 floods in Lewes, (They don't like sitting in 12 ft of water for 2 days) :( :-(
As has been said, The 5.0lt Mustang bellhousing is the one to go for along with the flywheel, clutch cover, release bearing and release arm. You may have to source another plate depending on the splines on the Cossie shaft. The joy of this is you can retain the cable clutch. Have a word with Adrian as I sure he can source the bits for you if he hasn't already got them ;)

gareth08
08-08-05, 08:54 PM
Correct me if I am wrong :rolleyes: but I thought it was only the heads and cam they messed with to kill the power and sort out the emissions :confused:

Tinka,
Unfortunatly not.
upto 1979 they were all thick style blocks with 2 piece rear oil seals 28 0z/in imbalance and varying heads and cam specs.Apart from the block they were not very good.

Ford changed a few bits i.e marine cams and pistons upto 1982 but not much else.

In 1982 they changed to the thin cast (15ilbs lighter) block roller timing chain, and 50 0z/in imbalance but retained the basic heads from the 79 era.

from then until 1984 the engine was basically the same with the main additions being carbs and changing to 1 piece rear seal.

In 1985 they changed to hydralic roller cam, forged pistons and improved cylinder heads and either carb or low pressure central fuel injection

In 1986 a thicker deck and semi-siamesd cylinders were used and they eliminated the dish and valve eyebrows in the pistons.Also tese engines had a shrouded intake valve to improve swirl.Also used multi port fuel injection

In 1987 they switched to the truck head (E7TE casting) with much larger ports and forged pistons and re-introduced the eyebrows .

From 1989 to 1992 apart from the fuel injection system and a slight cam change the engine was basically the same.

In 1993 they introduced the 5.0 ltr Cobra engine which had cast iron GT 40 heads and intake manifold,shorter duration higher lift cam and 1.72 rockers.

Although a lot of changes may not affect us Cobra builders as most things get changed anyway the best (standard) set up would ideally be the 1989 to 1992 blocks with the 1993 on heads.

xrstyle
09-08-05, 08:29 AM
wow! great responce, thanks guys :)

Tinka, question about the adapter plate, what would this be for exactly? to mate the cossie t5 to the US bellhousing? (sorry if thats a dumo question) i was under the impression the bolt patterns on the bellhousings were the same?

Also regarding positioning, i think i will be okay. One of the guys in our club has got an XR8 (south african import) basically an early sierra with a 302 :D looking at the install the engine sits almost exactly in the same possition of the V6, in fact its hardly any longer due to the block being so small.

SK Rich, just emailed the seller to see if he will consider shipping to the UK :)

Purple AK, sorry to here about your 4i :( that flooding was awful! its only a few bits on metal at the end of the day though... I think i may be able to use my current plate as its an AP racing organic 10.5 jobby, its from the cossie but fits my existing box, so i should only need a release bearing and cover plate.

Excellent info Gareth, obviously if the engine is good then the later the better, but as i looks if i have to replace pretty much everthing then it doesn't seem to mater what i get(thankfully i don't have to worry about SVA)

i've been drueling over the summit website for a while now, i wish i lived in the states there almost giving away engine parts! its a shame the rates dropped abit :(